Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'04 HK speakers dead or dying. Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '04 HK speakers dead or dying. Thoughts?
    Posted: December/16/14 at 3:06am
So after perhaps a bit more than  a month of not being driven while my wife was away on business, I finally got to take my MINI, Pippa, for a drive. Yay! However, I immediately discovered that my driver's side speakers, both the mid-range and the tweeter are dead, and both rear units (the bass)sound really weak.  Ugh. I had suspected that the mid was going sour, perhaps due to age (10 years, at least 6 in the AZ desert), but I'm bummed that it's quite so pervasive an issue, affecting four of six speakers. I tested this all out today by loading the audio into each quadrant of the car to best assess what was up. I haven't opened any panels or anything yet though. Not sure if I should just replace the speakers, maybe the amp, or what. I'd rather not scrap the whole system, because one I like how it sounds (when it worked), and two I like the way it looks. I don;t want to figure out a new, and possibly exposed amp configuration, I don't want new grille covers, and I especially don't want an after market head unit! So, how o I best figure out what can be salvaged, and can some one help me with a potential speaker install? Can someone recommend reasonably priced speakers that will work with the existing HK head unit and amp? Mini Mania has supposed OEM HK speakers, but true to Mini Mania the prices are "Mini Mania-esque" ie too high and sold individually. 

Let me know what you all think.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 9:51am
Hi - 
This is probably a wiring or amplifier issue. A bad amp seems more likely than 4-6 bad speakers. I'd be surprised if multiple speakers go bad all at the same time. You might try simply unplugging and replugging the wire harnesses. Either that or the amp in the back of the car is going bad. 
brat s View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brat s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 11:52am
Your amp is fried. Easiest solution is to buy a hk amp but you can run any amp you want. They sale adapter kits for it. I have a 03 but I ended up gutting my system out. From head unit back. That was my preference. I opted for more power. The speakers in the car are 8 ohm speaker's. Buying an after market amp won't harm your speakers. They let the amp run more efficiently. Using less power but you might loose a let volume. Which isn't much. As far as speaker goes. You can change them out without changing your original speaker grills. Since your not going to be in stereo competition. The original wires will work. As for speakers go. You can pretty much use anything you want but the rear 6 has two sets of wires. One set for the woofer and the other set for the highs in the 6x9.
brat s View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brat s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 11:55am
Which infinity makes.
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 11:09pm
Does any one have a spare working amp that I can ran a test with? Thanks for the info, bratS.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/14 at 11:53am
I thought the HK speakers were 2ohm...and standard speakers 4ohm.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
brat s View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brat s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/14 at 6:46pm
Yes your right. Not 8 ohm but 2 ohm. My bad
 Post Reply Post Reply