Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

0-60 in second gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 0-60 in second gear
    Posted: August/19/12 at 7:53pm
So I've found that if I shift 6200 rpm in first and rev to 6200 rpm in second that I can hit 60mph in second gear WooHoo  I only have a 15% pulley, CAI, and a one ball exhaust for power adders.   Just curious what gear/ rpm some of you more heavily modded guys are getting to 60 at.  IF you wouldnt mind posting your favorite technique for getting to 60mph as fast as you can as well as what model Mini you have and what mods you have done, that would be awesome.  Thanks guy and gals!!Wink
2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/12 at 8:09pm
The fastest way to go fast is to shift at the highest horsepower output, which is pretty much redline for an R53. 

Unless we modify our gear ratios, we're all going to hit 60 at the same RPM. 

So I do the same as you, but I have a higher redline after my mods (my redline is 7500, but I don't like to take it above 7000). I rev the engine to around 2500rpm, let the clutch out, as the clutch slips I add gas to maintain around 2500rpm until the pedal is engaged, then I floor it. The car reaches 7000rpm in first gear pretty quickly - on my car if feels like maybe 2 seconds once I've fully let out my clutch pedal. Redline in first gear is probably somewhere around 35 mph. 
Then do a really quick shift and floor it again until you hit 60. 

It's the most fun way to get to 60 as well! If there is nobody in front of me, I take pretty much all freeway onramps in 1st and 2nd gear only, then shift up once I've hit 60. 

My car details are in my signature.

Edited by CORNERS - August/19/12 at 8:12pm
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/12 at 8:32pm
Will $4.25 a gallon gas change your technique?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/12 at 8:46pm
Yeah, I do it on freeway onramps, but very sparingly.   The sound of the engine and supercharger above 5500 RPM is insane!!!  Kind of scared me the first time I rev'd that high, thought I was gonna do damage to the engine!  Yeah, Cinimin, I probably wont be doing this much with as high as gas prices are.
2006 Astro black cooper S with matt black stripes and red mirror caps. 15%, pully alta CAI, Alta IC diverter w/ sprayer, one ball exhaust.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/12 at 8:58pm
I can't help myself. The car gets great mileage compared most of the stuff other people are driving, so I don't mind having some fun once in a while...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/12 at 10:11pm
I have found that the price of gas has had some impact on my driving habits - mostly in trying to consolidate trips and pick the shortest routes - but I'm also not always the first off the line at stoplights anymore - and not the first to get to the next red light...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 12:22am
This might be fun here, I raise your HP with Torque. Torque is what gets the work done. Realistically the R-53 is a glorified blown 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. With that said even though it is a front wheel drive car you need to use skills similar to that used on a bike. So like Kurt talks about running in the upper rpms with his car is very normal to get the rpms out of the engine because the torque has already peaked at 4200.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 8:57am
Sounds about right for me also, 2nd gear to 60, 3rd gear to about 120.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 10:45am
Gordon is that your new Coupe or the old Hardtop?

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 10:57am
I put my foot on the floor until 60.

(I own an auto; was the above a bad joke?)

Actually, let me edit this post and put some useful information in here. The fastest 0-60 is going to happen by keeping the engine within the maximum torque range as someone already said. I own a R56 so here is my torque curve:
2007 R56 Power Graph

You see torque start to drop off at 5000 RPM so taking an R56 to redline (6500) isn't going to help your 0-60 times.

Edited by ipeverywhere - August/20/12 at 11:04am
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 12:05pm
120mph in 3rd gear? Not sure if the gear ratios are different for the newer MINIs, but I need to be in 4th (very close to redline) or 5th gear to make 120mph. (On the track of course)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 12:15pm
Actually the optimum shift point is not the max torque point. 
See these two articles for interesting info: 

First, an explanation of torque and HP. 

From this, you can see that it should be better to shift when the HP are higher, because the goal is to get into a high torque range AFTER the shift. We all know what happens in an R53 if you get too low in the power band - there is no torque and a Ford Focus is faster than us! 

Now, we can figure out shift points like explained here. 
To do this optimally, you need to figure out your dyno sheet torque and HP and your gear ratios.

For our cars, I interpret this to mean, shift as close to the redline as you are comfortable! 
I've played around a bit on the track and it does FEEL like the car is going faster if I shift later in the RPM range... 

Edited by CORNERS - August/20/12 at 12:21pm
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 2:14pm
You are right, it's 4th gear where I hit about 120 at red line, not 3rd. I end up bouncing off the rev limiter. I've tried going to 5th to get a little more speed before the brake point at The Ridge but it doesn't seem to help, I waste too much time in the shift, then I have a more difficult downshift to go up the hill.

It is in the Coupe.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 4:01pm
Thanks CORNERS,
That does make more sense to shift _into_ the high torque range which means shifting after you've left it slightly. The auto shifts about 6200 if you let it do it's thing. I've taken Alsatia to redline and it shifts fast enough you actually shift and land just over 5600 RPM (top of the HP curve). It's interesting that the official R56 graph is flat from 1500-5000. It certainly does not feel flat.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 4:25pm
There is a big sufferance between the gen 1 and gen 2 torque curves.

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 8:54pm
Its true, I wish I had the lower end torque of the Gen 2's.  I test drove a few when I got by R53 but they were all out of my price range.  Now it seem like there are a tone of R56's around cheaper than I bought my R53.  I still love my R53 though.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 8:58pm
I do go into fifth gear in the straight at ridge because I would hit the redline if I did not. It is a harder shift though, as I need to be in third when going up the hill.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/12 at 9:23pm
With a stage one tune on a 2012 JCW you are looking at about 230 at 5000 and about 265 ftlbs of torque at around 3500.

Edited by johnf36 - August/20/12 at 9:25pm

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/12 at 8:30am
Thats awesome!  Youre saying you can get those number with a Stock JCW and just a tune?
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/12 at 9:15am
The R56 have a lot more torque than the R53 cars.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/12 at 1:20pm
Yes that is a stock JCW and base line tune

R53MAO View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53MAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/12 at 2:31pm

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/12 at 3:46pm
With a downpipe, intercooler, panel air filter and exhaust, you can see 240 HP 290fttq

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/12 at 12:52pm

Post Reply Post Reply