Topic Closed'08 Black Auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: '08 Black Auto
    Posted: April/05/08 at 11:48am
Today I brought home an '08 Black (looks like midnight blue, somehow...) S automatic, and left my '06 JCW at NW Mini.

My car - the '06 JCW has a broken center section in the exhaust pipe.  I took it down last week to have it welded up, but once again, the JCW side of my car reared it's ugly head.  Can't weld the center pipe as it will void the warranty.  Ask me about this...  sigh.

Anyway, Steve said the part would take about 10 days to arrive, but it was OK to drive my car until the new pipe arrived.  Well, OK until Friday evening, when the car started sounding like a '63 Chev pickup with a six cylinder and blown out rusted exhaust.  Waamba, waamba, WAAAAAAAbrbrbrbrbrbr, pop, bang, pop, WAAAAAAAbrbrbr...

Nasty. 

So were the looks I got as I drove home.

I called today and said I'm gonna get the dang thing welded, as the car was not very drivable.  NWM said NO!  DON'T DO IT.  We'll tow your car and give you an Mini to drive while you wait.  I said no to the tow, but blasted my way down to Fife (WAAAAbrbrbrbr, WAAAAAbrbr...) and dropped off Onramp.

I kinda like the '08.  Door pockets don't hold the stuff that Onramp does, but Onramp doesn't have the net in the passenger footwell, nor does it have the little secret compartment.  It has the stupid armrest that won't stay closed, though.  And I don't mind the giant speedo.  Kinda cool, actually!

One big problem, though - it also doesn't have my radar detector...  Gotta watch myself.

Pat

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/08 at 4:04pm
You try the sport button yet?

10 Day must of had to ship it from China Wink

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/08 at 12:02am
That is a Joke! :-(
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/08 at 12:15am
That's probably the same black S I had as a loaner recently.  There were some improvements, but not enough for me to want to switch my super charger for a turbo.  Good luck on the repair!
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/08 at 12:20am
Thanks, Kristin - I'm with you.  Can't wait to get Onramp back.  This car has REAR SEATS, of all things...

You're right, Tristan.  What, they going to send the broken pipe back??  On the other hand, they feel strongly enough about this to give me a car for a while...

Yes, John - I did push the sport button, which just moved the revs up the scale a bit.  Haven't had much of a chance to try the car out, and probably won't - I have a hard time pushing someone else's car.  What all does that sport button do - any suspension changes?  Be kinda cool to have the thing lower itself like the Bugatti!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/08 at 12:32am
Not sure Pat that why I ask. May be some of these new owners can give some insight to how much difference the sport button makes. Would be real cool if it did something like that, only problem is NW would never give you that extra key to insert in the door on a loaner car. I myself am still out on the 08's.
To bad they won't let you have the old exhaust.

John

nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/08 at 2:51am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Not sure Pat that why I ask. May be some of these new owners can give some insight to how much difference the sport button makes. Would be real cool if it did something like that, only problem is NW would never give you that extra key to insert in the door on a loaner car. I myself am still out on the 08's.
To bad they won't let you have the old exhaust.

John

I've got a late '07, which is pretty much identical, from what I understand. The differences that I know of the 08 getting a USB port and auto-up driver's side window.

The sport button bumps up the throttle position a bit and reduces the power steering boost. In an automatic it also adjusts shifting points, IIRC. No changes to the suspension, but that would be nice Smile

Lots of people swear by the sport button, but I'm kind of mixed on it.

To me the throttle seems more amplified when it's on, but less sensitive. It's nice for straight-up go-straight acceleration, or for starting out in first gear. From a dead stop without the button on, it feels like the car can bog down in the <1500 RPM range without an extra push to the pedal.

In the middle of the pedal range, I feel like it's just less pedal travel between big notches- maybe a poor explanation of it... It's kind of like trying to find just the right volume on a stereo with a click-stop volume knob- one click is just a tiny bit more than I wanted, but one click lower is just a teensy bit less than I wanted. So, I just drive with it off most of the time, after all, all the way to the floor is still full volume Wink Big%20smile

I wish that I could keep just the steering in sport mode though- when the button's off the extra boost for the power steering gets turned on. It's not too big of a deal, I just prefer the heavier feel of the wheel- it gives more of a perceived feel of sharpness, even if it's not really all that different.
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/08 at 3:05am
Thanks that clears that up.

John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/08 at 9:21am
I tried the sport button more today.  Still not sure how I like the operation of the transmission.  I did notice that when you put the stick over into the manual plane, the "sport" light on the tach lights up, and I really like how it works without using the stick or the paddles.  The car is VERY quick in this mode.  I LIKE it!

Nick nails how the thing works.  I like the "less assisted" feel of the steering (hadn't really noticed it until Nick mentioned it, then "Oh yeah!").

Pretty cool car.  Don't want to keep it very long - I might get attached...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/08 at 1:14pm
Voids the warranty?  How odd.

Much as I love MINIs, the next gen version just doesn't quite do it for me.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 4:17am
Pat,

I saw "onramp" sitting at NWMini today when I took my Mini (S-Quire) in for a P2096 code (exhaust leak).  They said I had a leak in the cat and they have to order a new one.  (I suspect the sustained high speed driving in the Nevada desert was partially to blame for that...)

They sent me home in an extremely ugly Dodge Caliber rental...  Consider yourself lucky!

Edited by kenru - April/08/08 at 4:59am
One good turn deserves another...and another...

GoMiniGo View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 8:24am
one thing you will also notice with the Sport button.  It jumps the RPMs while cruising down the highway.  If you leave it in Sport, your mpg will suffer.  It is like it removes the final gear.

weird.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 12:27pm
Last time I needed wheels they sent me home in a Kia Optima.  Nice appliance.  At least the Calibre makes an attempt at character.  If I recall, the little Dodge 4 cylinder cars make an awful drone at highway speeds.  We had the Jeep version in Missouri last year...  Ear plugs help.

Sorry to hear about your cat.  Do you know if it burned through (gasp!) or did it crack somewhere?  BTW, is S-Quire your blue car?

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 12:52pm

You all crack me up!!!  LOL LOL LOL LOL  ...All I can say about this post (at the moment) is that lots of the comments are entertaining (bummer on the muffler though):

“Waamba, waamba, WAAAAAAAbrbrbrbrbrbr, pop, bang, pop, WAAAAAAAbrbrbr...

Nasty. 

So were the looks I got as I drove home.”

“10 Day must of had to ship it from China

“This car has REAR SEATS, of all things...”

Pretty cool car.  Don't want to keep it very long - I might get attached...”

“They sent me home in an extremely ugly Dodge Caliber rental...  Consider yourself lucky!”

“Last time I needed wheels they sent me home in a Kia Optima.  Nice appliance.”

Edited by hapa67 - April/08/08 at 12:53pm
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 2:06pm
This one was pretty good too:

"all the way to the floor is still full volume Wink Big%20smile"
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 6:46pm
Hey Pat maybe you can call CPS(Child Protective Serves)  to take action on little Onramp. 10 days for something they know they have problems with?  Sorry but what a joke, I really think we need to get this torque arm on Pat.
John 

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 10:19pm
I agree, John!

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/08 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Last time I needed wheels they sent me home in a Kia Optima.  Nice appliance.  At least the Calibre makes an attempt at character.  If I recall, the little Dodge 4 cylinder cars make an awful drone at highway speeds.  We had the Jeep version in Missouri last year...  Ear plugs help.

Sorry to hear about your cat.  Do you know if it burned through (gasp!) or did it crack somewhere?  BTW, is S-Quire your blue car?

Pat

Yea, they sent me home in a Hyundai once.  The car was so boring, I had to have a cup of coffee with me to keep from falling asleep every time I drive it.  Thanks for the tip on the ear plugs; I'll keep a set with me.  Noise doesn't seem too bad from the limited amount of driving I've done so far.  However, because of the "chopped" design of the roof on these new dodges, I keep banging my head as I extricate myself from this little gem.

Yep, S-Quire is  the older brother to yours.  From the sounds of things,  it was a crack somewhere before the 2nd O2 sensor.  Funny, they said they'd order two cats and pressure test them before they installed it.   Apparently it's common to have leaky welds on the cat assy.  Any way, I only have about 500 miles left on my warranty so I'm glad it happened now...

Minihaha View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/08 at 12:23am
Hi Pat,
Initially from your first paragraph, I thought that you had traded onramp. Sigh of relief.
Milt
`06 MCS Red/Blk,Mini Madness V2 Exhaust,MM Cold air intake,M-7 Strut brace,Alta 15% Pulley,19mm SB,JH6 17 inch wheels
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/08 at 10:38am
I'm glad it broke now as well.  Those cats are big $.  Sorry about your head.  I was looking at one of those today at a stoplight, thinking could I drive one of those for a week?  This was a nice red with wheels, and it didn't look too bad.  Different, but not too bad.  I also thought how difficult the entry and exit might be the way the roofline slopes back in that arc.  Now I know...

Milt, you're on to me.  I'm just a tricky guy.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:02am

I went back down to NWMini yesterday after they called and said my car was ready.  Darned fast service on the exhaust!  Apparently the exhaust manifold and cat were bad.  I had also mentioned to them that I noticed a clicking sound while turning sharp left hand turns.  They weren’t able to reproduce the sound but did offer to have the service manager (Steve) go for a ride with me to see if I could get it to click.  We went for a ride and I was able to make it click.  Steve did say it in fact did sound like a CV-joint, so back to the shop it went.  They are delivering my Mini to me today after installing a new CV-joint.

The point of this post was to mention that I got to return the Dodge and they gave me a 07 MC auto to take back home.  Much nicer ride!  Question though: should you be able to up shift AND down shift using the paddles on the steering wheel?  This one only shifts up, which is of limited usefulness when motoring through the twisties…

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:21am
Originally posted by kenru kenru wrote:

......Question though: should you be able to up shift AND down shift using the paddles on the steering wheel?  This one only shifts up, which is of limited usefulness when motoring through the twisties…

I have a late 2006 MCS with an AT, so not sure if mine has a different tranny.  I'm able to shift up and down with the paddles as well as the stick when it's in SD/MD.  Interesting though as I was experimenting with it yesterday.  Once it's in manual mode (when you put it into SD, it switches to MD once you use the paddles or the stick) it'll stay in a higher gear even when coasting and mildly acclerating.  If I stomped on the throttle when it was in M5, it would shift down to M2 and stay there regardless of whether I accelerated or not.  Also, when it was in M5 and came to a complete stop it went to M2 and stayed in M2 when I accelerated (nearly red-lining it) from the stop.  It would not shift "up" on its own (but it still will shift when using the paddles).  Weird....... Confused  Are you confused yet?  Confused  I guess I wasn't much help in answering your question.  Shocked LOL

Edited by hapa67 - April/10/08 at 2:30am
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:34am

The point of this post was to mention that I got to return the Dodge and they gave me a 07 MC auto to take back home.  Much nicer ride!  Question though: should you be able to up shift AND down shift using the paddles on the steering wheel?  This one only shifts up, which is of limited usefulness when motoring through the twisties…

Out of curiosity, I wonder if you're expecting it to work that same way that I was- pull the right tab for an upshift and pull the left for a downshift. Instead it's pull either left or right to upshift, and push either for a downshift. (Or is it the other way around? Ermm)
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:44am
Forget the paddle shifters, since you are use to a stick just push the stick over into SD, pull back to upshift and push forward to down shift.  You can even move your left foot and pretend you have a clutch - fun never stops in a Mini.............  Transmission will never let you redline, it will shift on its own before that happens.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:45am
Originally posted by nicknbecka nicknbecka wrote:

Out of curiosity, I wonder if you're expecting it to work that same way that I was- pull the right tab for an upshift and pull the left for a downshift. Instead it's pull either left or right to upshift, and push either for a downshift. (Or is it the other way around? Ermm)

Correct, mine shifts "down" when I push the paddles (on either side) and shifts "up" when I pull up on either paddles.

Edited by hapa67 - April/10/08 at 2:47am
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:48am
Originally posted by nicknbecka nicknbecka wrote:

Ah-ha!  Yep, I was trying to use it like a Formula-1.  Thanks.  I was wondering why there were no + and - labels on the paddles... That would explain it.

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:53am
Originally posted by kulmini kulmini wrote:

Forget the paddle shifters, since you are use to a stick just push the stick over into SD, pull back to upshift and push forward to down shift.  You can even move your left foot and pretend you have a clutch - fun never stops in a Mini.............  Transmission will never let you redline, it will shift on its own before that happens.

Yep, done that.  I took LEPRECN for a spin around PR at the Mini Track Day (MCC Auto).  I found the fastest way to drive it was to only use the stick for down shifting and let redline up shift it for me.  Actually, very efficient.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 2:54am
Originally posted by hapa67 hapa67 wrote:

Once it's in manual mode
It would not shift "up" on its own (but it still will shift when using the paddles).  Weird....... Confused  Are you confused yet?  Confused  I guess I wasn't much help in answering your question.  Shocked LOL

That makes sense too, if you think of manual as "performance" mode.

If you want to keep the extra power of the higher RPMs, or keep on the throttle through a corner, upshifting automatically at that time might be considered a hindrance. So they program the transmission to avoid shifting, except when it's needed to keep the car from stalling (downshifting when you stop) or damaging the engine (over redline).

Strange that it will still downshift when really jumping on it through, I wouldn't have expected it. I don't like pushing cars that aren't mine either, otherwise I might have found out during my test drive Smile
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 3:03am

Yep, done that.  I took LEPRECN for a spin around PR at the Mini Track Day (MCC Auto).  I found the fastest way to drive it was to only use the stick for down shifting and let redline up shift it for me.  Actually, very efficient.
H-m-m-m-m...  I guess I need to experiment more as I can't get mine to "up shift" once it's in Manual Mode.  It'll just stay in M2 and continue to rev at redline.  Whazup with that? Confused

Also, I've heard that it is  possible to overide the redline it if you put it manually into a lower gear.  However, I haven't ever wanted to try this.   Shocked

Edited by hapa67 - April/10/08 at 3:06am
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/08 at 3:09am

Ah-ha!  Yep, I was trying to use it like a Formula-1.

I think a lot of people expect it to work that way, when I went for a test drive my MA explained it before we started and I still tried to do it wrong almost every time Angry

I guess one explanation could be that it would be easy to mixup the paddles with the wheel turned most of the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>