Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12,000 to 15,000 mi OIL change??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12,000 to 15,000 mi OIL change??
    Posted: July/12/07 at 12:08pm

Hi guys..new here and posting like crazy to gain knowledge.  Thanks in advance to all you great people who reply so quickly...I already LOVE the mini community.  Anyhoooo...called Rasmussen to get my first oil change at 6K miles.  They told me even though I bought the service package, it doesnt come until 12-15K miles..????  Is this correct?  I feel stupid just asking the question.  When I traded in my 03 escalade for the 07, they started using synthetic and I have it changed every 5K which took some getting used to.  It'll do my head in if i'd wait that long.  I'd like to know the real deal before i go in raging against the machine.

Cheers all!

Justin

Edited by Underwood - July/12/07 at 12:09pm
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/07 at 12:37pm

Justin,

There are several schools of thought on oil changes, many of us older guys were brought up changing oil every 3,000 miles and that is drilled into or minds.  Others just go with the flow and have the oil changed per the manufacture recommendation, ie., 10,000 to 15,000 miles or when the auto computer says it is time.

You can change the oil yourself using the recommended synthetic oil.  Filters can be purchased at the dealer or online at several of the aftermarket shops.  You can also pay the dealer to change your oil outside the maintenance timeframe, usually runs about $85 to $100.

If you choose to change your own oil there are several 'how to's' posted on NAM and also links to same in several post here.  Your call on what you want to do, changing your own oil will cost you time and approx $35 for oil and filter.  One note, make sure you have the necessary tools if you choose to change the oil, the filter uses a 36mm wrench I believe and you will need to put the car on front stands at least.

My .02.

Don

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/07 at 12:59pm

If you go a year with out getting enough miles for an oil change the dealer will do an oil and filter change at 12 months. 

Everything I have read (lots) on the subject says that modern synthetic oils, machining tolerences, and materials do not have a problem going 10,000 miles or more - unless you dirve under extreme conditions:  short trips, hot and dusty conditions, pulling heavy loads, racing. For normal driving the only thing more frequent changes buy you is an opportunity to do one of the few mainteneance items that a do-it yourselfer can do on a  modern car.   Of course there is nothing wrong with more frequent changes - everybody should do what they are comfortable with.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/07 at 11:05pm
I've used to always change oil/filter every 3K....then after reading article after article showing that there is really no need to I started doing it every 5K or per the manufacturers recommendations. Then I bought my Mini(s) and am going by the service indicator. Boy that took some getting used to, but they do run synthetic so I figured those engineers at BMW know what they are doing. Anyway, I must say that every time I check the oil it's still amazingly clean...looks like new. Just took my wife's in for the first oil service and it still looked really good, so I don't anticipate any issues with the long period between changes.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/07 at 1:29am
It all depends on how hard you drive!!!? The 02'-06' are recommended at 10,000 miles but I change mine around 6,000 or shortly after for obvious reasons. (my foot is pushing the floor boards more often then not) Really all you need to do is check your oil w/ the dip stick to see how black it is. If you feel that it is to dark get it changed! It's always better to have clean oil running thru your motor vs. dirty oil!!!
Tristan
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/07 at 7:32am
The 'Service Indicator' changes depending on your driving style.  My first change didn't come until almost 14,000 because I guess I don't drive it very hard.  Since 'falling out' of the service contract however, I've rolled into a 5-6,000 mindset.  Even my wife's Minivan, which uses a Synthetic Blend, recommends waiting until 7,000-7,500 miles between oil changes.
'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
 Post Reply Post Reply