Forum Locked1st Annual Run to the Sea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Annual Run to the Sea
    Posted: September/17/05 at 10:07am
We arrived at Seaside just before 5pm and checked into our hotel before dinner. On the drive down we enjoyed a brief lunch with two couples idriving Chili Red MINIs at the Toutle River Rest Stop on I-5. We drove through Gig Harbor, Allyn, Shelton, Matlock, Elma, and Centralia for the first leg (Hwy-16, Hwy-302, Hwy-3, Shelton-Matlock RD, Matlock-Brady RD, US-12). After driving down I-5 to Longview we started the second leg to Astoria on US-30 and into Seaside on US-101. Apparently the drive through US-101 in Washington was changed at the last minute with road construction south Raymond. Since I forgot my camera's USB cable, I cannot post any pictures until we get home.
Matt, Abbie, Parker & Maggie

2005 MCS EB/W - LILBLEU

When a Mini whines, it's a good thing!
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/05 at 6:16pm
cannot wait to see em take a swim for me will ya guys
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/05 at 10:46am
I drove the 101 route back home, and it was only 1/2 mile or less of gravel. Good call though to change the route, in the rain it could have been a mess.
Driving in Europe is more fun!
Chili-S View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/05 at 3:11pm

The event was great, except for the last minute I-5 re-route down to Seaside (although we did have a nice break for lunch with Michael/Jeanne-Marie and Matt/Abbie). A nice group of car people at the event - even met up with a guy that I had worked with on a project about 14-15 years ago. He and his wife took the "Not Even Close" award (4th place) in a TR-6 they've owned since 1989.

We took SR-4 after the Astoria bridge and turned north on Coal Creek Road (first signal before Kelso) that turned into Woodside and Delameter roads to finally connect with SR-411 (Westside Hwy) and then through Vader, Winlock, and Napavine before stopping in Centralia for lunch at the Olympic Club (a great brew pub/hotel/pool room/movie theater). Continued on through Tenino on our way back to Olympia - not a wheel turned on I-5.

auroramatt View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/05 at 3:33pm

After driving down to Tillamook and taking the Tillamook County Creamery tour and sampling some cheese we drove back on portions of Hwy-6, US-26, Hwy-47, US-30 before arriving back in Longview, WA and heading home on I-5. We found some great twisty roads that were not heavily traveled. The best section was between Mist and Clatskanie and had been mentioned in a post by another member.

Late lunch break at Toutle River Rest Stop on I-5 with Ron & Linda, and Michael & Jeanne-Marie.

Being followed by another MINI on the Lewis and Clark Bridge into Oregon (Hwy 433).

Sign welcoming us to our destination in Seaside.
Matt, Abbie, Parker & Maggie

2005 MCS EB/W - LILBLEU

When a Mini whines, it's a good thing!
redcupr View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/05 at 12:49am
We made it back Monday night, stretched the weekend out a bit to visit the in-laws and our nephew in Salem.

We posted 23rd out of 43 cars that turned in their results.  I saw Matt's name in the top ten.  We were 20 mins off time-wise and 5.6 miles off mileage-wise.  I figured out our time issue, the Mini's speedo reads 2-3 mph low and I didn't compensate for that.  We did the odometer check perfectly, so being 5.6 miles off has me stumped because we did the route perfect also.  Might be that we didn't carry out the calcuation to enough decimal places.  We'll see how we do on the "Run to the Gorge" next spring.

Sorry I didn't get to talk to the rest of you.  I did get to talk to Wayne and meet his family (Tamara is a cutie).

Didn't take any pictures during the run, too busy driving and listening to my navigator (who did an outstanding job by the way).

Sunday we drove down Hwy 101 through Cannon Beach and then headed west on Hwy 22 towards Salem (very nice road, lots of turns that are banked just right).

Here's the one picture that we took of the Mini.

Brett, Jasa and 'Cooper'
'05 MCSa, CR/B, All Pkgs
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/05 at 11:25am
I drove 101 back this weekend and got some gravel stuck in my skid plate (above the plate, but below the engine).  101 further south is a pretty good road (I was in Pacific City).  Hopefully I can make the 2nd annual run.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
 Post Reply Post Reply