MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2% Pulley
    Posted: April/09/07 at 1:30pm
Has anyone out there done either the Alta or M7 2% pulley change? I am
looking to do this but have read some reliability issues after the change. If
anyone has done this either + or - please let me know. Thank you all for
your time and i'll see you on Saturday. Jeff
03 MCS- DDM intake, OMP STB, Alta rear sway, Koni Coilovers, H-sport front sway bar, Alta 15% V.2, Alta exhaust, Alta end links, D.T. B.V. M7 DFIC, Madness Uss,Alta S.S., RMW header and tune
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/07 at 1:08pm

I have the Stock sized lightened Crank from CravenSpeed, Ed has the +2% Lightened Crank.  This is a longstanding discussion, which always seems to have at least two sides, and never a right answer.

If you want the lightened Crank, then the +2% Crank with your 15% SC pulley will give you the equivalent of a 17% pulley while still being able to keep the stock belt.

One side of the debate points to the fact that:
a) the 15% and 17% SC pulleys cost the same, and the belt cost only a few pennies more than stock, so why not go with the 17% right off the bat
b) some problems have been blamed on the lightened cranks, although no one can say that they were the actual factor

The other side (my side) points to the fact that:
a) the lightened cranks (especially for those of us who grew up on the old two and three piece harmonic balancer/vibration dampers that we used to take off routinely) allow you to shed HP robbing pounds from all the rotational masses
b) the bonus is that with the +2% Crank, you can shed pounds AND get the 17% (or 19%, if you already run a 17%) effect while retaining the stock belt

While this, I'm sure, does nothing to help you finallize your decision, it's not ment to.  I can tell you that from MY experience, the Lightened crank has given me NO issues, and MAY have contributed to my running a cooler intake temp vs MINI-Rolls during the 'MINIs on the Strip' portion of AMVIV (I have a homemade CAI, 15% SC Pulley, and Lightened Crank, he runs the DINAN CAI, 17% Pulley and Stock Crank, I was running about 30F cooler by ScanGuage).

'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
jeff2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/07 at 2:15pm
Thank you for oyur comments. I think I may roll the dice with this one and
lean your way. Happy motoring and see you soon.
03 MCS- DDM intake, OMP STB, Alta rear sway, Koni Coilovers, H-sport front sway bar, Alta 15% V.2, Alta exhaust, Alta end links, D.T. B.V. M7 DFIC, Madness Uss,Alta S.S., RMW header and tune
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/07 at 2:53pm

Harmonic Balancer

Crankshaft vibration dampers are designed to reduce torsional vibration, the small but sometimes dangerous angular oscillations a shaft undergoes, as the alternately ignited cylinders deliver torque spikes to the crankshaft through the pistons and connecting rods. Crankshaft torsional vibration is inherent in all internal combustion engines and can be especially harmful if the damper is defective or damaged.  Dampers can be designed to include a counterweight, or in some similar way permit the balancing of an engine if it is not internally balanced, but the damper itself does not balance the rotating assembly, the counterweight does.

• Check for separating halves, missing bolts, incorrect length bolts and buildup of dirt and grease

Crankshaft Pulley

Check for cracks, missing bolts,  incorrect length bolts, and buildup of dirt and grease.

I pulled this from: http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Diagnosis/Engi ne/first_order_engine.htm

I found this article via www.google.com "Engine Vibrations"
Something to think about....
Motor On!

MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/07 at 1:30pm

Cool pics Tristan...

Two problems.  First, the harmonic balancer in your post mentions:
"Check for separating halves, missing bolts, incorrect length bolts and buildup of dirt and grease"
That would apply to older cars.  As stated previously, BMW/MINI just turned the Crank Pulley into a large crunk of metal.  Weight, not a seperate piece.  In older cars, we (as in, my older cousins and I) would remove said two or three piece vibration damper routinely.

Second, the engines you tend to see catastophic effect on the engine due to loss of the hb/vd tend to be V6/V8/V10/V12.  I have never (underline I... doesn't mean it hasn't) seen or heard of an I4/I6/H2/H4/OP/Rotary engine where failure could ever be blamed on dropping the hb/vd.  In 'V' engines, the forces exerted on the crankshaft are not linear.  In a V8/V12, you can even (depending on how the engine is designed) have those fractional forces jar the crank in two near perpendicular motions at the same time (dependant on timing, and throw).  edit added: To give an example, a basic engine, like the I4, can be drawn on an X/Y scale, whereas the V requires more 3D like rendering, X/Y/Z.  BMW/MINI have also reduced much of the torsional forces on I4/I6 engines by designing in good engine management with well designed 'sweet spots', the area just past TDC where compression and injection are as ideal as possible, and ignition happens.

As I have said before, I am a proponant of dropping the weight (what, you spend $1200 to buy tires to drop eight pounds, but not $200 to lighten the crank, dropping eight pounds in the first place it matters) and I will be the First to make a world wide announcement if my Lightened Crank ever trashes my beautiful MINI.  Until then, I have to say that FOR ME, the lightened crank is the way to go.

Edited by QandElf - April/11/07 at 1:39pm
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/07 at 4:23pm
You might be right in this case and or I might be right??? I don't know and it's not a huge deal to me!  I hope that it never becomes an issue for anyone!
Motor On!
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/07 at 7:24pm

Originally posted by YakiMini YakiMini wrote:

You might be right in this case and or I might be right??? I don't know and it's not a huge deal to me!  I hope that it never becomes an issue for anyone!
Motor On!

As I said right from the get go, there is no right or wrong.  I am basing my OPINION on my EXPERIENCES.  Both of which could be wrong, but, at least for now, are OK.

This is not for everyone.  I do not have the 'RIGHT' answers.  I have the 'RIGHT FOR ME' answers.

Now, getting back to mudflaps...

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/07 at 11:34pm
I love this discussion.  All sorts of great information, and no strings as to whether it's correct across the board or not.  :)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/07 at 1:07am
Lets avoid those mudflaps if at all possible
jeff2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/07 at 11:14am
Well I took the plunge and had it installed today. All I can say is it makes a
huge low end change and revs a lot quicker. All in all very happy with it.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/07 at 11:40am

After removing the stock pully, how much did it weigh vs the lightned pulley?  Ie.  how much weight (rotational mass) was saved?

jack

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

jeff2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/07 at 11:44am
As far as I can tell from diff. threads it weighs 5 pounds less which = about
26 actual pounds less. I could be wrong but that is kind of what I read.
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/07 at 1:40am

Wow Jeff, MODitis has hit you hard, perhaps you need to find a support group.................

I am here for you if you need to talk.................

What's next, damper?

jeff2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/07 at 9:52am
Sorry we went out of town for a few days. Yes Don I do need help!
 Post Reply Post Reply