Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2002 - 2005 Power Steering Recall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 - 2005 Power Steering Recall
    Posted: October/28/15 at 2:12pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/15 at 7:36am

Already replaced under warranty.  Yay.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/15 at 9:20am

Thanks for posting, Jack!  Always good to have information!

Looks like I just dodged a bullet having a 2006.

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/15 at 3:00pm
The one in my car was replaced under the extended warranty.  All is fine and good there.  On Stacie's car, I replaced it myself with a "remanufactured" one myself as I couldn't swing the $$$ for a brand new one when hers went out.  It went out before the extended warranty was announced.  I sent in paperwork to get my expenses reimbursed (parts only) which was part of the extended warranty- if you had it replaced already they would pay for the pump.  I sent it to the correct street address but put down NY as the state instead of NJ.  Needless to say they never reimbursed me; the paperwork also did not come back.  When I finally got somebody at MINI on the phone they said I could re-submit it to them or preferably go to the dealer to submit the paperwork.  Never got around to doing that, however.

What do you suppose will happen?  As far as MINI knows MINIMNT's pump has never been replaced.  Should I just take it in when I get the recall notice (I assume we will get one for MINIMNT), let them replace it and enjoy the fact that I'm getting a new pump for the price of a remanufactured one?  The one I put in is starting to whine a bit but still works.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/15 at 4:03pm
Bruce - seems to me that MINI owes you a pump - but that is a logical, not a legal opinion.  Hope you can get it without a hassle...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/15 at 7:06am

They not only replace the pump but also the cooling fan.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 8:34pm
Any update on this?  I haven't heard anything since getting my letter.
David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 9:56pm
Did you respond to the letter? You need to contact the dealer. 
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 10:07pm

My letter said I should wait until they contact me - and they didn't have sufficient parts at the dealer yet.  I'll contact them tomorrow.  Thanks!

Recall Campaign No. 15V-660: Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) System

December 2015.  We are not yet ready to conduct this recall . . . .  We will notify you by letter as soon as we are ready . . . .  etc.

Edited by Dave - March/10/16 at 10:14pm
David & Linda
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/16 at 8:50am
Hey Dave I have a power steering pump you can buy for cheap and have Kurt Hammond install. Only a few years on it
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/16 at 6:42pm

Thanks!  I don't think I need one right now.  I was just wondering what the status of the recall is.  Funny thing is I just got the letter today saying they're now ready.

Anyone know what they (BMW) plan to do?

David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/16 at 12:52am
I am curious too. I just got a letter even though MINI paid for my replacement power steering pump already. Is this a different recall for something different? 
Bing View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/16 at 8:07pm
I just received my letter too.  Also several years ago I replaced the pump on my own similar to what valvashon did.  Never got reimbursed.  Wondering if I should take my car in.
 Post Reply Post Reply