Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Membership Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2009 Year End Winter Newsletter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Year End Winter Newsletter
    Posted: January/28/10 at 6:56am
The final newsletter for 2009 is complete and Ed Sisk (Silver Surfer) did an awesome job picking up the reigns and producing the newest newsletter.  Thanks so much, Ed and congratulations!

Ed's looking forward to doing additional issues in 2010 and if you are interested in contributing or participating, drop him a line.

(Note:  we uploaded a different pdf file that should open in Adobe and make it easier for everyone to read.)

Edited by WOODSTOCK - January/30/10 at 1:05am
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 10:49am
Ed, that is a fabulous job!  It's so great to see you apply your great writing talent to the club's newsletter.  Well done.  Clap
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 11:36am
OK - I give.  When I click on the link, I get a tiny first page and no adobe navigating devices.  Just the first page.  What am I doing wrong?  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Silver_Surfer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver_Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 11:50am

Thank you - Linda, Anne and Martin, Belinda and Dean Prince, John O'Melveny, Karin and Karin, Roy and Beth Morey (sorry if I missed anyone).BowDown

Liz Smart's Fall issue was the role model and inspiration for this issueBowDown

Great team work, from start to finish your guidance helped put this together.  Looking forward to putting together the Spring issue.

(Cho Cho has made full recovery and resumed command of the Guard)WooHoo

You can view the newsletter by left clicking the link or what I did was right click and pick “save as” or “save target as” and save to desktop and view directly from there with a PDF viewer (most computers have a PDF viewer).

Edited by Silver_Surfer - January/28/10 at 11:56am
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 11:52am
Pat -

I can scroll up and down thru the pages with the mouse wheel or the left and right mouse buttons.  You also have to have full screen display selected to get a readable copy.    The page up and page down keys on the keyboard also work.

Edited by CINIMIN - January/28/10 at 11:53am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 10:38pm
Thanks, Jack - I appreciate your help.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

OK - I give.  When I click on the link, I get a tiny first page and no adobe navigating devices.  Just the first page.  What am I doing wrong?  Pat

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/10 at 12:51am
GREAT Newsletter!   Clap
It is absolutely packed with information, clever writing, color and FUN!
Thanks!  Thumbs%20Up
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/10 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

I agree there is something a little weird about the PDF.  The normal PDF toolbar and scrollbars that I usually see when I view a PDF (including the last newsletter) are missing for some strange reason.  Even at full screen, it is hard to read on my laptop.  Luckily, I have a big monitor on my desktop computer.
Computers!  Don't you love them!  Geek

Tech issues aside, the newsletter is outstanding!  And apparently, I seriously need to beef up on my MINI trivia knowledge.  LOL

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/10 at 1:07am
We uploaded a new version of the pdf file this morning that should make it easier to read and will open in Adobe Reader.  Sorry for the problems some were having and hope this fixes that!  Actually......it was a vision test.........
Linda
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/10 at 4:34am
Thanks for the fix.  Great job on the newsletter and congrats to the 5 yearers.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOOLBLU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/10 at 9:13am
Great job Ed! Glad you took up the task of getting this done.
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio
'80/'95 Green/White Tartan LE

Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 6:35am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but to clarify, in paragraph 3 of Closing the Book on 2009, it seems to say that I only served from January through October of 2009.  I actually took over the position in August 2008 when the previous secretary tendered her resignation. 

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 6:52am

OK Kristin - lets put a fine point on it -

The topic is Closing Out 2009 - not rehashing 2008.  Lots of people did things in 2008 but they don't get mentioned in a 2009 topic.

Edited by CINIMIN - February/03/10 at 7:06am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Kristin Kristin wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but to clarify, in paragraph 3 of Closing the Book on 2009, it seems to say that I only served from January through October of 2009.  I actually took over the position in August 2008 when the previous secretary tendered her resignation. 

Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

... The topic is Cosing Out 2009 - not rehashing 2008.  Lots of people did things in 2008 but they don't get mentioned in a 2009 topic.

I agree with Jack.   I think the newletter did a great job of listing 2009 Officers and contributors.   And, as a finer point - you were only voted in by the members as Secretary for 2009.  You did a good job serving until you tendered your resignation in October.  What exactly is your concern Kristin?

Edited by Cocoa Puff - February/03/10 at 7:08am
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
'13 R60 All4 Oxford Green - HERS
'80 Rover Mini MkVII-EngWh-OURS (really mine!)
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 7:38am
My exact concern, Anne, is that I proudly shared the newsletter with two non-MINI friends yesterday (who loved it overall, by the way - GREAT JOB ED).  They both said "gosh, didn't you serve more than a few months?"  When I read the newsletter the first time, I thought nothing of it, but the comments from my friends got me thinking that maybe some of our newer members might have thought the same thing. 

Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Kristin Kristin wrote:

My exact concern, Anne, is that I proudly shared the newsletter with two non-MINI friends yesterday (who loved it overall, by the way - GREAT JOB ED).  They both said "gosh, didn't you serve more than a few months?"  When I read the newsletter the first time, I thought nothing of it, but the comments from my friends got me thinking that maybe some of our newer members might have thought the same thing. 

Thanks for clarifying Kristin.
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 7:53am
......and I think we have overlooked Don, who served as VP at the start of 2009, but for personal reasons was not able to complete his term, so thanks to Don too.Clap
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 8:02am
Your are right Mitch, Don is missing.  Thanks Don for your contributions to the Club. 
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/10 at 10:50am

Ah yes... it wouldn't be a PSMINI newsletter without someone finding something to be miffed about.  Whew - glad we got that taken care of! 

Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/10 at 11:14am
Well done Ed!  Bravo!  BowDown  Thumbs%20Up Thank you so much for taking the time to write up all the info. 

Congrats to the 5-year PSMINI veterans.  Thumbs%20Up BowDown ...and thanks to all the volunteers (PSMINI Officers and/or members) throughout the year.  PSMINI wouldn't exist if it wasn't for all of you!  Thank you so much (for what may seem to be a thankless job at times). Clap
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/10 at 9:30pm
Ed:

Good job with the newsletter!  With only 1 "Guard" on duty you still managed to make an interesting read.  Thanks for sanitizing my responses to the questions.

Whether the inner workings of the Club go smoothly or not the Club as a whole functions far better than other Clubs in which I have been involved.  Kudos to all!

The information sharing is top notch and I have learned a lot in a short period of time!!!!

Stephen

Edited by Soggy-1 - February/04/10 at 9:31pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/10 at 1:28am
And congratulations to you, Stephen for being selected as our honored member!  You have a nice ride and the kayak behind makes it truly unique.
Linda
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/10 at 10:53pm
L:

Thank you for the compliment!  The trailer was a necessity since Mini did not really think about carrying really long things on the roof.  If Mini had put 2 tow hooks/tie downs on the side front and on the rear then it would work better.  My 18-1/2 ft kayak would wiggle all over the place tied at only 1 point with the kayak rack saddles 29 inches apart!  A 20 ft. tandem kayak would just be ridiculous, IMHO.  With the trailer rig I still get 34mpg on level ground at 60mph and that is pretty good!  You just have to remember it is there and not fly around a corner to fast!

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/10 at 9:01am
I finally get to put a name and face to the owner and MINI with the kayak trailer at the XXX Show!  I like it!  Lookin' good!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/10 at 9:23am
Genie B!

Thank you for the kind thoughts!  I purchased a new trailer that rides a lot better do to the larger diameter wheels.

Hope to see you at an event soon!!

Stephen
REDSHFT View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REDSHFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/10 at 1:15pm
Excellent newsletter! I just love the newsletters~! Being a new member I don't have all the history of the other members. This is so nice. I have done newsletters for other groups in the past. It takes a tremendous amount of work.
Kyak is great.
A final note: ALL volunteers deserve a special place in heaven......very often they've experienced the opposite while in office.
Jeanette and Wayne.

>43K miles
'09 MC (May 2), new plates: REDSHFT
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/10 at 12:13am
jjharris:

You are certainly correct about the unrecognized efforts of volunteers!!

Thanks for the positive thoughts about the kayak intrusion into the club!  The one piece paddles just fit inside the Mini.

Stephen

Post Reply Post Reply