Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Winter Tire Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Winter Tire Thread
    Posted: August/31/12 at 1:29pm
Well, we are less then 24 hours before it is September and it will soon be winter jacket and hat season. The girlfriend is already asking me about winter tires and Tirerack is sending me coupons. Winter tires are more about cold weather driving then actually driving in snow/ice so let's get the discussion started before we all start complaining about 30 degree weather.

Here is a good primer for why winter tires are important:
Get a Grip on Winter Driving (from a Canadian)

What I'd like to do with this thread is focus all the "What winter tires do I buy?" comments here so there is one repository for questions (and, as a side-effect, one repository for answers). I'm going to start out by listing all winter tires from the major manufacturers (that I could find). Not all of these tires come in OEM sizes so keep that in mind. Also, if I missed anything, please let me know.

Winter tires:
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT Winter/Snow
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Ice/Snow
Continental ContiWinterContact SS810 S (S is for Sport)
Continental ExtremeWinterContact
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST (RFT)
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (OE Tire)
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 ROF (RFT)
Dunlop Graspic DS-3 (Ice)
Good Year Ultra Grip Ice
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP (RFT)
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Ice)
Pirelli SnowControl (Touring)
Pirelli SnowControl (RFT)
Pirelli Sottozero (Sport)
Pirelli Sottozero (RFT)

I'll be hunting down reviews and as I find articles and more information I'll be posting it here. Please please voice your personal comments about anything you have tested yourself. It's information overload time but it's never too late to understand one of the most critical tools for safe winter driving.

Edited by ipeverywhere - August/31/12 at 1:31pm
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/12 at 6:33pm
I bought Continental ExtremeWinterContact DWS off of tirerack after reading all of the positive reviews about them. I have not driven on them in snow but they do great in rain and everything else.
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/12 at 7:03pm
I think Kurt has Blizzaks. He loves them! LOL
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/12 at 7:52pm
I have DWS which were good for most of the winter. But I will most likely be in the market for a full on winter set.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

KnottyMan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnottyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/12 at 9:30pm
I got a set of 16" Bridgespokes off a Clubman owner that was ditching them.  Plan is to get some 195/55R16 Blizzaks (from word of mouth here and NAM) and I'll have a winter set and my 17" S lites for rest of year.

Narrower tires = better for snow.  MCS' can't run hollies but 15"s would be even better if you can fit them around your brakes.  16's will have to do for me.

And like in the article linked above, All Seasons start to get hard at 40-45 degrees.  'Snow' tires are formulated for cold.  It's a pain to have to store an extra set of wheels, but better to have dedicated purpose built rubber.  DSC and all that stuff doesn't work when traction = zero.  This was a surprise to my Audi driving boss.  4 x 0 still equals 0.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 5:21am
I have 2 MINI's so 2 sets of winter tires.  Blizzak WS-60's (195x16)on 1 MINI and Dunlop Winter Sport M3's(215x45) on the other.

The Blizzaks are far superior on ice and possibly in deeper snow.  The Dunlop Winter Sport M3's or O.K.  The difference might just be the wider tire with the Dunlop's don't bite as well on ice and snow.  Neither tire is really loud on dry pavement and in fact are quieter than the OEM RunFlats.  Both tires have a great ride but the Blizzak's are squishier than the summer tires I use on the Cooper, same for the Dunlop's.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 5:22am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

I have DWS which were good for most of the winter. But I will most likely be in the market for a full on winter set.

Are you going with studs this year? 

I like Knottyman's Post, 4x0=0.  It does my heart good to drive by some jacked up 4x4 with wide mud tires that does not have any traction on ice!

Edited by SMOG - September/01/12 at 5:24am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Willcoop Willcoop wrote:

I bought Continental ExtremeWinterContact DWS off of tirerack after reading all of the positive reviews about them. I have not driven on them in snow but they do great in rain and everything else.

There is a Continental ExtremeContact DWS which is an All-Season tire so I didn't include it in my list. None of the Continental winter tires have the "DWS" designation that I could find. Can you clarify what tire you have so I can make sure my list is correct? Thanks

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 9:58am
Studs are bad. <- I'll come right out and say this as bluntly as I can, studded tires are bad. They destroy the roads and they increase stopping distance on dry/wet roads. Unless you drive in the very specific conditions for which they were designed (at freezing on ice/packed icy snow) please don't use them. They are terrible tires on wet/dry roads. Studies have shown they are not good above and below freezing. They destroy roads.

A video:
Tirerack Testing Studded vs. Studless

A report hosted by the WSDOT:
An Overview of Studided and Studless Tire Traction and Safety

There are endless other reports like this as well. I fully expect studs to be banned at some point because the state can't keep up with repaving the damage they cause.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 10:17am
Originally posted by KnottyMan KnottyMan wrote:

DSC and all that stuff doesn't work when traction = zero.  This was a surprise to my Audi driving boss.  4 x 0 still equals 0.

Excellent quote. I also like to remind people that every vehicle on the road has all-wheel braking. We all have the same stopping power, 0, when every wheel locks because there is no longer any resistance.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 12:59pm
The studded and studless discussion has been covered before before.

Here is what I will say again. Most people namely the ones that live on the west side of the mountain, don't need anything more then a good all season or if you enjoy trips to the hills for the winter sports and can afford to have a set of snow tires (studless) then that should be fine. For people that have to drive in very bad icy conditions then you might want studs.

They have there place ,just not for everyone.
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=47&tab=winter

Nice snow tyres.
http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/pirelli-2009-rally-norway

The DWS are a nice tire and good in soft fresh snow a 3 to 4 inches. But do reach their limits in hard pack and ice.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 1:11pm
Some day I would love to ride in a MINI that had those studs on it, John, hint hintBig smile
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 1:17pm
You guys know there is a US Company called Green Diamond Tires that has a different take on things, check it out. http://www.greendiamondtire.com/concept.html

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/12 at 2:29pm
Interesting looking tires John, they look perfect for western Wa. and maybe eastern Wa. since their marketing is aimed at Colo.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/12 at 6:17pm

I picked up a set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS on Friday for the All4. Should be more than enough with the AWD system and our runs up into the mountains skiing. Relative to the other All Season Performance Tires out there I don't think you can beat them for the price and wear rating.

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

I picked up a set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS on Friday for the All4. Should be more than enough with the AWD system and our runs up into the mountains skiing. Relative to the other All Season Performance Tires out there I don't think you can beat them for the price and wear rating.

I never had mine in deep snow. They seem to get you going just fine in the slush and little snow around town but I felt really uncomfortable cornering with them. Will be interested to hear your comments after taking them skiing so please keep us updated.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 10:17am
Here is a question from an "out of towner". Are winter tires, those tires that have the snowflake emblem on the sidewall, good enough to get you across the pass when chains are required or do you still need chains in this state?
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 10:49am
When chains are required it's chains or AWD only
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 11:14am
From WSP  Chain Requirements etc.

All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 1:51pm
I'm looking at getting a set of Blizzaks for winter. The AWD purchase was by design, as I like to head to the slopes quite a bit. (In addition to my daily commute to work of course)

Not wanting to hijack this thread but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on having those tires on their own set of wheels versus on the "summer" wheels. I understand the mounting process can wear on the tires causing sealing issues.

I've got a set of wheels (Blizzak) & tires (Axix XMX) in my cart on tirerack.com, would appreciate any thoughts/opinions from the group of experienced DIY'ers.
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 2:50pm
This February with DWS's on, our normal weather for the winter months.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 4:31pm
The ideal setup if you do lots of snow/ice driving is separate tires and wheels for winter/summer.  Down side is having to store the set you are not running.  On advantage of the separate winter tire setup is being able to go with narrower tires and wheels - better traction in snow and wet conditions (less prone to hydroplaining) as well as provding extra clearance for chains if you ever have to us them.  You can also go to a higher performance tire for your summer setup but don't neglect the wet handling and breaking requirements that are critical in our area.  You do not want to do multiple mount and dismount cycles on the the two sets of tires on one set of wheels.   (I had the winter/summer tire  setup for CINIMIN for several years but being retired from work and skiing I now have the option of not having to drive (excet for a few trips to Boise in our AWD Countryman) in winter conditions.)

Edited by CINIMIN - September/03/12 at 5:42pm
Jack -

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 4:32pm
I now have 5 sets Jack, LOLOLOLOL

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 4:41pm
And a warerhouse for a garage?  John, If I lived in your part of the state and we had to get to work I would have 6 sets! 

Edited by CINIMIN - September/03/12 at 5:41pm
Jack -

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/12 at 5:22pm
LOLOLOL, and I only have on car.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/12 at 9:44am
I have the X-ice on Flames (R50) and I love them. Great traction on just about any surface. Since my daughter is driving her now I might just go with all seasons since she doesn't have a spare set she can swap to. And they are nearing end of life.

On the Coupe I'm looking at options. I'm thinking of painting my set of X-lites and putting snows on those. Shelly won't let me put silver wheels on HUNKA. I would lean towards the X-ice again since I have had great luck with those.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/12 at 8:01am
I am considering Nokian winter tires for my MCS. Anyone care to weigh in on this brand?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/12 at 1:35pm
yes I have had a set of Hakkapeliitta 7s and liked them

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/12 at 9:15am
You might be able to convince me to be sell my Blizzaks. Either that or i would be getting a new set of wheels for them that fit. My S-Lites no longer fit over my big brakes, even with a spacer.

They are very lightly used- only used during the past two seasons and only when there was actually snow on the ground- I installed and deinstalled from the car according to the weather.

The S-Lites are plastidipped in black.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/12 at 9:50am
A big +1 for Blizzaks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>