Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed$265 for an oil change?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: $265 for an oil change?!?!
    Posted: November/30/07 at 2:21am

This cannot be a new thread on here. But it's new to me. I called our pals in Fife today to see if my extra key had come in for SCOOOP (need one for Mrs. Cupcake, you know, and the car lot I bought from had only one), and mentioned that it was 2K overdue for what the computer said was "inspection." Was told it was probably time for an oil change, and that it would be $265 for that. Um, no thanks. ZahnTech just did an oil change on CUPC4KE for $65.

What gives? The $265 oil changes were a big reason why I ditched my E-class Mercedes, even though I simply loved that car. Besides, when CUPC4KE needed an oil change recently, the computer said "oil change."

OK, I'll stop ranting now. Just curious what you all had experienced.

-- Mr. Cupcake

MINIBUB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 3:13am
When I called NW Mini they told me $95 but it sounded like the person wasn't sure if that was the price. I have had nothing but bad experience with them. All my needs are addressed with the best service at Rasmussen. Yes they are in Portland, but it's worth the drive. BTW...Rasmussen told me $75 for an oil change. Just my 2 cents

Edited by cmk4 - November/30/07 at 3:13am
'007 MC PW/B Checker'd mirrors AKA "MINIBUB". Auto with Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold weather pkg, chrome line int. and a couple other little things here & there. More to come? Wife's car, ask her:)
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 9:49am
I think they were trying to get you in for a few other things. Then, once there, they'll find more things wrong so they charge even more  I can do it myself for approx. $45 so $65 is good!

Edited by YakiMini - November/30/07 at 9:52am
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
MiniCharley View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 10:09am

Hey Scoop,

I need to get an extra key too.   How much did they charge you for one?

Our family:
12 R60 All4 SB/Blk WILDBLUE
12 R59 JCW Roaster PB/RED APOLLO

04 IB/W MCS CHARLEY
12 All4 CB/Bk YONDER
12 CoupeS LB/Bk DBCOUPE
80 Mini Kensington Red STELLA
Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 10:55am

I don't understand how some of you have had such a bad experience with NW MINI and yet I've only had good.  They have bent over backwards to give me deals and even replaced my entire headlight assembly when it wasn't under warrenty.  They saved me money several times.  Last time it was around $900 on my tranny and clutch.

IMO; NW MINI rocks!

Spencer

"MINIACK" It's not my name, it's my attitude. After 6 yrs "Nine Ball" has a name.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 12:52pm
Miniack and All,
I apologize for all of the negativity cuz I'm not a downer/negative person. I, along w/ other Mini friends of mine here in Yakima have just not had the best of luck.
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
Sparky View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 1:17pm

Scooop, if your's is an '04, shouldn't it still be under warrantee?  The oil change should be free! 

I'm the same as Miniack, I've had nothing but great experiences at NW MINI.  Heck, I even found David there!  It doesn't get any better than that!! 

PS - We put an offer on a 2 bedroom condo in my building, so we are moving in together in the Spring!  Yay for MINI-love!!

Juli & David's 2009 Lightening Blue Clubman/Premium/Convenience/Cool Weather/Sports Packages/NavSys/Bluetooth/Chrome lined exterior/NoHolesBracket/Boot Box
Cupcake View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by MiniCharley MiniCharley wrote:

Hey Scoop,

I need to get an extra key too.   How much did they charge you for one?

About the price of four shares of MS stock. But that's before the "programming" fee. Apparently that's an hour of shop time. I'll know more this Monday.

(Edit: Dangit. Sorry. using Mrs. Cupcake's computer so my sign-in is wrong)

Edited by Cupcake - November/30/07 at 1:28pm
'03 AB/W MC, bonnet stripes, brake light pulsar, Alta stubby antenna, Union Jack tire valve caps, Waylin shift knob, first ticket Feb '08, second March '08, WVIII quitter. "CUPC4KE"
Cupcake View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Miniack Miniack wrote:

I don't understand how some of you have had such a bad experience with NW MINI and yet I've only had good.  They have bent over backwards to give me deals and even replaced my entire headlight assembly when it wasn't under warrenty.  They saved me money several times.  Last time it was around $900 on my tranny and clutch.

IMO; NW MINI rocks!

Spencer

Oh, the experience was great. They are always very friendly and helpful. Still, I think there's a difference between us folks who are part of the family (bought new at NW MINI and paid way over retail), and those of us who are not part of the family (found a realstic price elsewhere).

(Edit: Dangit. Sorry. using Mrs. Cupcake's computer so my sign-in is wrong)

Edited by Cupcake - November/30/07 at 1:29pm
'03 AB/W MC, bonnet stripes, brake light pulsar, Alta stubby antenna, Union Jack tire valve caps, Waylin shift knob, first ticket Feb '08, second March '08, WVIII quitter. "CUPC4KE"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 2:34pm
SCOOP - you can logout (as cupcake) and log back in as SCOOP - on any computer.  You need the message count!
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 2:34pm

Don't get me wrong... I know the best of places are not always 100%.  And maybe they they like to thank, as you say "part of the family" (said with the godfather accent) by going a little bit farther than they would with strangers.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, I think all MINI service dept. use a book that says how much a job will take.  The only difference is a hourly rate.  $265 for an oil change is ridiculous but I bet there is much more to it.  2 ways to think of it... are they trying to up-sell unnecessary service, or are they being thorough, keeping your baby in tune.  It's your choice to educate yourself to what is important, necessary, or what can be done elseware.

Spencer

BTW: I paid $500 over MSRP.

"MINIACK" It's not my name, it's my attitude. After 6 yrs "Nine Ball" has a name.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/07 at 9:27pm

I hate to say it but I have to add myself to YakiMini's list.

Let me quote my wife "There is no way in  that we are going back there, We can drive to Mount Hood and stay at the cabin and take the Mini to Rasmussen" Just to clear things up when she calls and asks for a call back 3 times and it costs use 2 days of lost work and a hotel room after we were told it would be out by that evening and then not to have the parts for the scheduled work that was to be done that is a very good way to send her over the top. Then to get home and have a oil leek well that was the icing on the cake for her.

But I am a little confused because isn't your oil change covered, my oil leek /oops change was.

John

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/07 at 8:23am
I don't think they quoted you for an oil change, I think they quoted you for an "inspection" either 1 or 2. The inspections are more involved than an oil change. The OBC should alternate between "Oil Change" and "Inspection" and your owners manual has the differences.
scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/07 at 10:03am

Well, I take it all back.

Went in today to get the keys programmed and the car ended up being there four hours. The bad part was that the inspection was a three-hour inspection (Brit, you were partly right with the proce quote). They also replaced the brake fluid, performed a flush and fill, and an oil service (Yes, the oil service is $265, as compared to the oil change, which is $90).

The good news? It was all FREE! My car was still under warranty. Thanks, Spinstr, for the tip.

Also found out it has helium filled tires. I looked it up and that saves me three pounds, apparently.

(Edit: Oops, nitrogen filled tires)

Edited by scooop - December/04/07 at 8:20am
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/07 at 11:32am

Scoop - are you sure about the helium? - could it have been nitrogen which some tire places use so they can charge you more for no practical benefit?  

If in fact you have Helium filled tires check your pressures frequently - every-other day - because helium will leak out very quickly.  Expect to pay a premium to have them refilled filled with helium - and the stuff used in balloons is only a small percentage pure helium.   The mythical 3 pounds saved is in no way worth the trouble it would be to maintain helium (or nitrogen) filled tires.

Glad you came out OK on the inspection / service -

Edited by CINIMIN - December/03/07 at 11:34am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/07 at 8:52pm

So now your the  Hindenburg

Since you checked into it do you get the same loss with nitrogen. Ya know Mini's do kind of have a zeppelin look.

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/07 at 9:36pm

Yes, I know the Hindenburg used Hydrogen. But I could not pass it up.

John

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/07 at 3:28am

Unfortunately, a friend lit a cigarette in Scooop earlier today while traveling in New Jersey and the car exploded.

Oh the Huge Manatee!

Mozleron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/07 at 2:17am
As Spinstr mentioned above, she and I did meet at NW Mini.

My most recent experience (and really all prior) have gone very well.  I dealt with Terry, and he did what he could to get me back on the road.  I was in because my Nav system was acting up.  When they started testing, it decided to behave, but they went ahead and updated the software anyway.  The bad part was, my extended warranty would not cover a software update.  The good part was Terry and the technician working on it decided to do it anyway and did not charge me for it.  I'm not sure if it has to do with the Nav compute having been replaced less than a year ago, but i definitely left there with my car working as intended...

Now we just need to train them to remove the front license plate when it's mounted in the no holes bracket when they run it through the car wash... 

The guys there are well aware of my club status (the web address on the back window might help with that), and while admittedly that should not actually make any difference, it just might...
~Mozleron
All black 2003 Mini Cooper S
Pictures of Draco and mods
scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/07 at 2:20am

Reminds me of the replacement shift nob I bought from them a while back for Mrs. Cupcake's car. They had leather for $90, or plastic for $40. I took the plastic, but after talking about the newsletter and the club I "accidently" ended up with the leather.

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/07 at 11:25am
I'm going in to Fat City tomorrow for an oil change, and I'll report my
findings. It's close to work, so I can go there after work and then take the
bus downtown for some x-mas shopping. The OBC or whatever it is says
"inspection" but I'll see what they want to do.

I was going to do this myself but couldn't get the drain plug out and even
broke my Craftsman 13mm socket! It appears as if someone used an air
wrench to put it in (it really does- the gasket is very compressed). Fat
City told me they had seen this before on other German (!) cars and they
know how to drill them out. My worry is that the aluminum oil pan now
has damaged threads, which they said can happen. That would probably
be more than $265.

Val
Cupcake View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/07 at 12:10pm
inspection = 3 hours of shop time at NW MINI. 'Tis all I know. Will be interested in how Fat City goes.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/07 at 1:15pm
Fat City=good experience.  They charged a grand total of $77.05!  This included filter, 5 quarts of Elf Synthetic oil and a BMW drain plug.  It has a different design with an aluminum gasket ring.  They also did some inspecting, and found worn rear pads (down to 3-4 mm) and tested the boiling point of the brake fluid (!) and found that it is dirty and needs changing.  They also spotted a slight seepage in a power steering hose and recommended keeping an eye on it.  I think that counts as an "inspection" even though they maybe didn't go down the MINI USA check list.

My only quibble is that they did not reset the OPP indicator or whatever it is until I was about to leave and noticed that it said -175 miles.  They promptly came out with a laptop type computer thing and reset it.

Also- I dropped my car off at about 11:15 am and got a call that it was done at about 2:00 pm.  I think that's pretty good for having called for an appointment just the day before.

Based on this experience, I can recommend Fat City.

Val

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/07 at 4:12pm

Val there is a thread on NAM on how to reset counter if that is what you mean. Here it is

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6 47853&postcount=3

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/07 at 4:19pm

I should throw this in, this is someone else quote,maybe someone here can either deny or confirm this recommendation.

John

"Here's the deal with the oil counter. 

If you are due for a service and your MINI is still under warranty then I would recommend NOT reset your counter, however, if you are past warranty the only reason to reset the counter is to not have your service/oil mileage indicator go into the negative numbers.

It really is just to help you decide when is best for your oil change."

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/07 at 11:55pm
From what I recall about my inspection, NW MINI said the worry point for brake pads was 2 mm. Mine were at 4mm and they said that was fine.
Minihaha View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/07 at 1:40am
I replace the oil and filter at approx 5,000 miles, out of pocket. Rasmussen in Portland charges $69.00. I make an excuse and drive down (after arranging a date and time.) I`ve had nothing but good luck w/ Rasmussen...
Milt
`06 MCS Red/Blk,Mini Madness V2 Exhaust,MM Cold air intake,M-7 Strut brace,Alta 15% Pulley,19mm SB,JH6 17 inch wheels
albuerne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/07 at 6:31am
Hi Valvashon,

That's good to know about Fat City.  I work in Belltown and drive by it everyday and wondered if it will be a good place in the future to take my Mini.

Btw, was your mini a red one?  I drove by Fat city and saw a mini hanging out in the driveway.

Alex

PS - My mini is waiting at the docks for a boat to bring it to the US.  The wait is unbearable!
Rorik View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/07 at 8:17am
After the debacle I had getting my windshield replaced as a condition of the
sale of the car to me ( 5 replacement attempts, negligible help from NW MINI
, and finally I had to get the regional manager for Safelite involved -
something Terry or Bert should have done since it was their REO ) and a few
other incidents, I no longer go to NW MINI - not even for parts. I go to
Rasmussen or Cantrell Motorsports in Kirkland or Adrenaline Racing in
Portland.
When it finally comes time to get a new MINI or BMW, I will not go to Fife.
Entropy Rules
SuperCooper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/07 at 5:41am

Wait a minute!? NW MINI offers free oil changes if you're still under warranty?! Wish I would have known that!

On that note...does anyone know of anywhere in the Bellevue/Kirkland area I can take my MINI to for an oil change? I've tried several places, and they won't touch it.

03 Pure Silver// black racing stripes// aero kit 17" Enkei wheels//
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>