Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

380 Injectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 380 Injectors
    Posted: September/29/09 at 9:45am
Installed Injectors this evening... have not gone for a ride but the car started up and no leaks..So far..
I used fiveomotorsports injectors...  easy to install $240 instead of $450 plus for JCW type
We will see how the performance is in the morning....

Only noticeable differences: they did not seem as tight as the original equipment but no leaks... once they were secured down..

Thumbs%20Up
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 10:01am
Interested in how it goes, the 5 O injectors are drilled out.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 10:27am
And  I knew that going in... but the car seemed to idle just fine and whne hitting hte accelerator.. it seems okay too.. I will update one I get to work tomorrow
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 11:13am
My guess is your MPG might take a hit without the car being retuned. Did you reset the computer to learn the injectors?

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:01pm
So how does one reset the computer?
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:02pm
Hi, John - is there a problem with the drilled ones?  I used to drill jets for various carbs with a special jig set on kind of a special drill press thing.  Has there been a quality problem (like with my first few sets of jets...)?  How are they normally made?  Curious minds want to know.  OK, maybe just one curious mind...

Thanks in advance for whatever you can tell me.
Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:04pm
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:42pm
Thanks Tristan, if that doesn't work I have a different one at home I can link.

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:57pm
Thanks Tristan an John... going into the Garage right now..
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Hi, John - is there a problem with the drilled ones?  I used to drill jets for various carbs with a special jig set on kind of a special drill press thing.  Has there been a quality problem (like with my first few sets of jets...)?  How are they normally made?  Curious minds want to know.  OK, maybe just one curious mind...Thanks in advance for whatever you can tell me. Pat

2 different issues carbs vers injector. But in some since the same problem. When you inject fuel into a cylinder you want a nice clean burn. This is done with different patterns and atomizing the fuel. When you drill out or port the inject nozzle you basicly get a straight stream of fuel. Picture your garden hose nozzle that you wash the Mini with, turn it to fan/fog/cone you get a nice shaped fine spray of water , now turn it to full stream you will get a solid blast of water in one spot. Now picture this inside your engine, the fine cone spray will burn better creating more power with less fuel and making the A/F easier to balance. Some problems that can happen with drilled nozzles is that because the fuel does not get burned very well, you can have fuel wash in the cylinder , your O2 sensor can also read this as if you were running rich and try to correct the problem. The other side is most drilled nozzles are a lesser injector that does not have the duty cycle of a nozzle design for that set cc unit of injection.

That a couple of thoughts. I can throw some more out there when I get home, and hit those other questions Pat

Edited by johnf36 - September/29/09 at 6:24pm

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 1:38pm
Your welcome, no problem.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 1:44pm
We can also talk about patterns, if my memory is right the JCW injectors have a split duel cone pattern to match the way the head and intake is designed.

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 6:50pm

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 11:37pm
Well so far so good... reset the ECU and added the 380 injectors.. the drive to work was spirited and felt real good...
I have no bads things to say about fiveo Injectors yet.. hopefully I will not!
I only drove back roads to work so I could not get up to speed but at lunch I will take a little drive on the freeway...
so far Thumbs%20Up
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 2:25am
I'm glad I could help you out! Please keep us posted...
I'm particularly interested in the fit of the injectors since you mentioned they are not as snug a fit as others...
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 2:46am
Thanks Tristan...
So what I meant by the fit issue.. the Injector was not physically as big as the ones I took out.... so when I clipped it in it did not feel as secure... now once I fitted it all of the arts back together it seemed fine.. the O rings seated just fine and the performed nicely this morning..so overall it was good...

I am taking it out on the freeway at lunch.. I wil lgive a smile meter report once I return..if I return!
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 2:54am
Request for a fly-by at 220th in MLT approved!
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 2:55am
You should be fine, just might take a hit on MPG

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 3:11am
Leaving Home base now... fly by in ten minutes......
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 3:37am
the pattern is full

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 3:49am
Very Good!
If you'd be willing for educational purposes. Would you be willing to keep Gas Consumption Numbers for a month or so and report!?

This is what I do on all of my vehicles... (a little black book)

ON THE 1ST LINE
Date            Gas Station        $$$$$ Amount

ON THE 2ND LINE
Total Miles on Vehicle...     Exact Amount of Gas Pumped into the Tank...    Exact Miles since last fill up...   Then I calculate Miles Divides by Gallons Pumped....

9/30/09     Chevron    $25.50
         (I even put the location in town or City that I'm in)

150,000    (9.999 pumped)  (234.5miles on tank)   30.43mpg

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 3:58am
Fly by achieved.. Sub Sonic speed ..whoooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhh!

Okay now the good news.... that was fun.. definitely more power while exiting the on ramps to freeway speed +20.... seemed smooth and consistant..no issues...

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 3:59am
Originally posted by YakiMini YakiMini wrote:

Very Good!
If you'd be willing for educational purposes. Would you be willing to keep Gas Consumption Numbers for a month or so and report!?

This is what I do on all of my vehicles... (a little black book)

ON THE 1ST LINE
Date            Gas Station        $$$$$ Amount

ON THE 2ND LINE
Total Miles on Vehicle...     Exact Amount of Gas Pumped into the Tank...    Exact Miles since last fill up...   Then I calculate Miles Divides by Gallons Pumped....

9/30/09     Chevron    $25.50
         (I even put the location in town or City that I'm in)

150,000    (9.999 pumped)  (234.5miles on tank)   30.43mpg

I will see what I can remember to write down for you...
I don't usually drive the freeways....
So far gas mileage is normal....maybe .5 lower..But I have been racing it a little!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 4:05am
Originally posted by BurnerS BurnerS wrote:

Fly by achieved.. Sub Sonic speed ..whoooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhh!

Dang now I have coffee on the keyboard

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/09 at 4:07am
If you are looking for me.. I will be in the Commanders office getting my ASS chewed on!
Worth every bite! WooHoo
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 12:38am
So 3 months later... Overall performance was improved and mixed with the new CAM  It feels like this little car can get it up and move it on down the street..
So since I had my tune last year I had great gas mileage story.. with the injectors and CAM install I am getting around 23 mpg on a regular basis on the drive back an forth to work..
I am guessing the freeway mpg's would still be better.. I can not waitto get on the track with the new HP....
Steve
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 1:42am
Steve's philosophy...."If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower" - Mark Donohue

Edited by Wildfamily - January/28/10 at 2:45am
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 1:45am
Nice but you will be running on rims and that is not good!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 2:28am
No worries Martin is going to solid rubber tires

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/10 at 2:39am
Some have it all.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>