Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed6 eggs, no yoke. My new lighting changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 eggs, no yoke. My new lighting changes
    Posted: June/01/07 at 5:36pm

Not that it's a huge thing to some, but I really didn't light the "egg yoke" look of the R56 turn signals and side markers.  Even with the clear lenses spec'd, there was still enough orange tint from the indicater bulbs to look like a bunch of fried eggs.  So no more!

To get rid of the yokes, I installed a set of 4 Phillips Silvervision indicater bulbs ( http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?product.asp?P_ID=174 &strPageHistory=related), and two Hoen brand Chromium markers (http://www.hoen-usa.com/).  All the bulbs have a chrome look to them, but flash a nice bright amber when you activate the turn signals.

After that, I took aim at the driving lghts, front fogs and front markers (upper third of the fog light lenses).  It bugged me that the Xenons were so super-white, and the rest of the lights up front had a distinct yellowish tint to them.  I bought some Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs (H3's for the drivers and H8's for the fogs) and a pair of Hoen Citylights for the front markers.

The change is dramaticlly different.  Everything up front just seems more "tied together".  I like it.  It's not necessarily any brighter... but a cleaner looking lighting effect.

2007 DS/W R56S JCW - "Prince William"
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/07 at 5:57pm

As a BIG fan of the 'clean' look afforded those that go with the chrome/silver or blue diadem look, I think you've finally proven to me that the new MINI's headlights aren't that bad after all.

(I completely hated them when I first saw them)

Now I know what 'mods' I'll sneak into my wife's Clubman!

'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/07 at 11:06pm
Very nice!  Really helps clean it up.  Clap

I'd be interested to hear what kind of life you get from the Xenonmatch bulbs.  Several years I tried something similar on a car I had, but they didn't last long (because of the additional heat?)...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

minibot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/07 at 12:26am
Very nice! I'm with Dave...don't like that egg yolk look. I didn't even think about using silver diadem bulbs, even though I have them on my MINI for rear turn signals. I'm impressed, it helps the look of the R56 a lot in my mind. Now if only the rear didn't show so much of the undercarriage....
'06 SB/S, all pkgs + LSD, Rear Fog, Euro lights, Euro Parcel Shelf, Glovebox Tidy, BlitzSafe XM Direct, CravenSpeed 15% Pulley, Dinan CAI, 12.1" slotted Wilwoods, O.Z. Ultraleggera 18" bright silver
HighBid View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/07 at 12:55am
Nice clean Look!!!
GP0223 Rec'd Monterey 8/18
Well Modded! I Think it's time to go racing! [IMG]http://home.earthlink.net/~frogwa/signature.jpg">
msh441 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/07 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by minibot minibot wrote:

Now if only the rear didn't show so much of the undercarriage....

Two letters: H and R.  Lowering springs help that a lot!

I didn't go two full days before having them installed. I'd purchased them 3-weeks before I even took delivery of the car!

You can see the lower end links are not quite as visible as they once were.  You can still see about 3 or 4 inches if you get down on your knees, but it's about as good as it's going to get.  I might eventually go for an adjustable lower link.  It would look a little better than the aluminum bar, and would allow me to fine tune the camber in the rear.

Stock was right around -1.25 degrees.  The drop added an extra 1/2-degree of negative camber.  Still not the 2-3 degrees seen in the JCW suspension or in some BMW's out there... but it'll be enough where I'll have to watch tire wear and rotate often.  On the other hand, the rear now sticks unbelievably well and the car feels really balanced and neutral.  Before the drop the sport suspension was terrific 95% of the time.  When pushed hard though, it did have some bump steep up front and would get a little tail happy out back under heavy breaking.

We shall see.  Seems like one thing you can cound on with MINI's... theres allways another mod right around the corner!

Edited by msh441 - June/02/07 at 1:39pm
minibot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/07 at 3:46pm
Yeah, the guys at Group 2 were trying to get me to do the H&R. I figure I'm going to do the H&Rs, Koni FSDs, a rear sway bar, and a front camber adjustment at the same time. ~6 hr job....
'06 SB/S, all pkgs + LSD, Rear Fog, Euro lights, Euro Parcel Shelf, Glovebox Tidy, BlitzSafe XM Direct, CravenSpeed 15% Pulley, Dinan CAI, 12.1" slotted Wilwoods, O.Z. Ultraleggera 18" bright silver
drewku11 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/07 at 10:32am
I REALLY like the fog lamp idea.  I'm not all that bothered by the turn signals being a little orange, gives a little flavor.

But the fog lamps a NIIICE!! I'm ordering the H11's right now...

How easy were they to put in?  Got any tips or anything for changing the fog lamps out?  And you only had to get a pair right?  The top of the Fog lamps (the ones that go on when the fog lamps arent on, i think my MA called them 'walk lights') use the same bulb as the regular? 

Thanks man!

Edit:  I found a paragraph i missed ... err ... i see you got the "City Lights" for the 1/3 above the fogs ... ordering those now too ... My H11's will be a little les bright then yours but they should still fit right?  (the guide on their site said for '06, but let's hope they work).

Edited by drewku11 - June/26/07 at 10:42am
~ drew
msh441 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/07 at 8:12pm

First off: The fogs are H8's.  Not H11's.

The lights are a very easy swap.  Just takes some small hands to make it a truly simple job (which I don't have).  That said, I could probably do all the lights again (all signals, side makers, fogs, front markers) in about 5 minutes total now that I've done it.

A couple tips (signals too, should you change your mind):

Rear signals are accessed through the removable covers in the side of the rear boot (trunk).  You just take the panel off and get your hand in there.  Theres a flat portion you grab and twist and the socket and bulb come rith out.  No wires, no nothing.  Replace the bulb and put it back in.  Just remember how the plug was oriented when it came out or you have to fish around to get it plugged in right.

Front signals are accessed through the port in the front portion of the wheel wells (helps to turn the wheels all the way towards the side of the car you're working on-gives some room to maneuver).  Unscrew the exterior door and you'll find another plug inside.  Unscrew that one and you can access the signal bulb plug.  Again, give it a twist and pull it out.  Replace the bulb and put it all back together.

Side markers:  Pop the bonnet (hood) and just get a firm grip on the whole chrome piece of the side marker housing (or black on the MC).  Give a good push toward the front of the car and it will pop rith off.  Pull the wire from the back, swap bulbs and put it back in the housing.  Align it back on the body and push to the rear until it pops into place.

Front markers and fogs... I'm not as clear on this one... but from memory: Unscrew the lower access door and you can see the lower H8 connector and the small 5Wwire & housing above (again, it helps to turn the wheels toward the side you're working on).  Twist and pull each out when you feel them release.  Replace the bulb and stick back in & twist to lock.  Put the cover back on and you're good to go.

License plate lights:  Use a screwdriver and gingerly stick it into the slot on the narrow edge and lightly pry the lens out.  Pop the bulb out and stick new once back in (might take bending the tabs that hold the bulbs in a bit to securly hold the new bulbs in place).

I can't think of much else.  It hels to grow a sixth or seventh finger... or maybe an extra thumb doing the license plate lights... but that's about it.

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/07 at 12:44am
Looks GRRRRRRRRRReat!
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
drewku11 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/07 at 1:13am
Just installed the H8's and 5W in my fogs and it looks awesome.  Next is the turns and the license plates.

The site you gave us was awesome! (Hoen) They swapped out my H11's to H8's before it even shipped and noticed i put in two orders (got charged twice for shipping) and combined the orders and saved me on shipping! good deal!!

Thanks for this post, man!
~ drew
TURRBO View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/07 at 3:33am

okay, this is one modification i am game for.  looks superb!  thanks for posting. 

Cheers,

Colin
2007 MCS PW/B
MINIBUB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/07 at 1:41am
are those tail lights standard on the 07 MC and MCS? 
msh441 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/07 at 3:51am
No.  You have to spec the car with the $100 clear turn signal lenses.  Without them, a bulb change won't make a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply