Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C no go '05 MCS convertable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C no go '05 MCS convertable
    Posted: July/15/15 at 3:19pm
A/C quit cooling about 300m ago. I checked the refrigerant level to find 35# so I'm reasonably sure there's plenty. Just blows ambient air temp but has a "machine" odor to it. Center of the pulley on the pump clutch turns when A/C is on, does not stop when A/C is turned off. 

Not sure of what to listen for but think a slight sound is coming from the pump.

If this means replacing a pump or maybe a clutch assembly I think I can do these if it doesn't require using special tools or pulling the motor. I have owned ACVW's for decades and maintain all of them so I'm not new to mechanic work. I replaced the water pump seal about a year ago.

Any input regarding the problem and solutions? Replace? Rebuild? Wave Magic Wand? Jump off cliff, forget everything?

RB

Edited by red raven - July/15/15 at 3:21pm
Doccyber View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doccyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/15 at 12:26pm
You can solder a piece of copper between the coils where the resister probably blew out... it will save lots of $$$
 Post Reply Post Reply