Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C
    Posted: June/15/15 at 3:14pm
Who was it that had the A/C clutch go out? 
What was the outcome? 
I'm thinking mine just used it's MINI wings and flew away.  Replaced the relay and all fuses look fine.  Clutch does not engage and did just a while ago.  At least I love riding around with the windows and roof open.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
mlgod2002! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlgod2002! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/15 at 7:28pm

It may be the clutch or just low on Freon. I know a shop that is in expensive and the owner was a Factory tech.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/15 at 7:47am
I'll check the freon before ordering the clutch.  Good idea.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/15 at 1:43pm
What type of controls do you have?  If you have the three dial type and the LED in the A/C button is flashing it is low on freon.  I added a can (20 oz) and now Stacie's is working again.  There might be a leak but it's blowing cold air for now, indicating the rest of the system is working (at least in my mind).  If you have the auto climate controls I bet the low freon indicator is the same.

I have the hose and gauge if you want to just get a can of freon or just want to check it yourself.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/15 at 1:28pm
Someone here (Steven?) reported that they had tested the impedence on the A/C clutch. 

Did you do it at the plug or is there an easier way?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/15 at 1:53pm
Never mind.  I found it on youtube. 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/15 at 1:56pm
I'm still chasing my problem.  Will do the continuity test when the car comes home.  Checked the low side pressure yesterday and it was off the scale.
Any ideas about that? 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/15 at 5:47pm
Low side and high side will be equalized when system is not running and any low or high side reading is meaningless . When the compressor engages, it begins moving charge to the high (liquid) side of the system. A correctly charged system that is stabilized (has been running for a few minutes) will be ROUGHLY 2-3x pressure on the high side as the low side, depending on temperature, system load, etc. 

The clutch coil is easy to test, just supply a 12v positive charge to the single line going into the coil. If the coil is working it will click and draw the coil clutch toward the coil. You can do this when the car is turned off. 

I have a video for how to replace the clutch coil by the way. Toward the end of the video you get a glance of the gauge set which should give you an idea of the pressure range you should see on a correctly charged and running system. 

Edited by CORNERS - July/09/15 at 5:51pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/15 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by valvashon valvashon wrote:

What type of controls do you have?  If you have the three dial type and the LED in the A/C button is flashing it is low on freon.  I added a can (20 oz) and now Stacie's is working again.  There might be a leak but it's blowing cold air for now, indicating the rest of the system is working (at least in my mind).  If you have the auto climate controls I bet the low freon indicator is the same.

I have the hose and gauge if you want to just get a can of freon or just want to check it yourself.

Bruce

20oz is too much charge. A completely empty system for a gen 1 MINI takes about 16oz. (0.91 +/- 0.02 pounds, to be exact)
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 7:07am
I ran a continuity check on the coil and it seemed to be OK.  Will try the 12 v approach for grins.

If low and hi side should be equal, it is hard to imagine how this much pressure got into the system.  It literally buried the pressure needle when I attached it to the low side.   I'm going to check with O'reillys and see if they have a loaner guage set so I can check both sides. 

Thinking this may be an expansion valve problem.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 9:02am
What is the max reading on the low side on your gauge? Even an expansion valve would eventually equalize pressure, there's no way it's 100% clogged. Has it always been broken and maybe a previous owner overcharged it? I'd guess low side pressure would equalize at around 120psi or so on a system that has not been running for at least a few hours.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 9:30am
The guage reads to 150 psi. 

I have owned this car since 2/2003.  The Climate control worked perfectly until a couple weeks ago.  No AC service has ever been performed.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 9:37am
What does the high side read? There is a blockage of epic proportions...?
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 9:46am
I have to get a guage.  O reillys has them as loaners so need to do that later.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 10:01am
I have servicing equipment (gauge set and vacuum pump, everything except the recovery tank) if you want to borrow.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 12:56pm
Back from O'reilly's.  The guy lied.  They would be happy to selll me one but no loaners.

Kurt,
Is there sometime I cold stop by and throw your guages on her?

I'm done working for the day.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 1:43pm
So I went out and checked the low  pressure when it was cool.  About 120.  That is to be expected, right? 
Back to the coil.  I jumped the 87 terminal on the board to the hot battery terminal and got nothing. no sound. 

I'm not very understanding of ohm stuff but I think it is 2.2 ohms.   What should it be?

Now I'm thinking it's the clutch and I tested the pressure when the engine was hot.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/15 at 1:58pm
Gaaahh.  So I found a video of a fellow using his mutimeter to test it and I had the leads reversed.  Putting the red one on the terminal produces an Open Line reading.  So, if someone will please confirm my logic or insanity, I will order a new coil.

Argh.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/15 at 12:09pm
Update:  I get the compressor off just fine but instead of a metric nut, I have a T30 bolt.

Walked to Oriellys and purchaes a T30 and came home.  Very carefully lined things up and gased the Impact wrench.  It stripped the @3$%^ torx and now there is no way to install my newly purchased coil and I am pretty positive no way to remove the existing.

So it looks like a new compressor.  Used ones so far have the Torx and I would't trust the clutch and would be afraid of it and new ones are pricey.

Still searching.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/15 at 12:30pm
I did find some rebuilt ones for $194 so ordered.  Think I may have found someone who can evauatate it too.

You will know I have my A/C fixed when it cools off outside....
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/15 at 2:48pm
Rob - Although it is tempting, we will not blame you and your nonfunctioning A/C unit for the return of the excessively hot temperatures we are experiencing.  However, just in case there is a connection, we wish you a speedy repair job... 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/15 at 11:19pm
Don't give up yet. (If you broke off a bolt in the cylinder head, would you buy a new cylinder head?) Try drilling out that torx bolt, it's a very soft bolt, and then putting in a cap screw (with a nice deep allen head) in its place. It's a 6mm x 1.0 thread, I believe. Fastenal will be able to sell you a suitable bolt. 

For best result, use an Irwin bolt extractor kit with left hand drill bits, most auto part store should have one. The left hand thread drill bit will back the bolt out as you drill through the head. 

One of my Youtube channel viewers just had this exact problem and fixed it with the above-mentioned Fastenal bolt. 

Good luck 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/15 at 11:21pm
PS - I just saw your question about asking to hook the car up to gauges. Please email me (kurt AT hammondjp.com) - this forum does a terrible job of letting me know when something new has been posted. 
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/15 at 8:52am
I will give that a shot. 

How long is the bolt?

Edited by Rob N - July/19/15 at 9:10am
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/15 at 9:36am
Sorry Rob N., I certainly don't mean to highjack this thread but it seems I have close to the same situation as you. Just not as far along in the process. I posted the problem in Do It Yourself forum and have had no reply:

(A/C quit cooling about 300m ago. I checked the refrigerant level to find 35# on the high side so I'm reasonably sure there's plenty. Just blows ambient air temp but has a "machine" odor to it. Center of the pulley on the pump clutch turns when A/C is on, does not stop when A/C is turned off. 

Not sure of what to listen for but think a slight sound is coming from the pump. That may be normal tho.

If this means replacing a pump or maybe a clutch assembly I think I can do these if it doesn't require using special tools or pulling the motor. I have owned ACVW's for decades and maintain all of them so I'm not new to mechanic work. I replaced the water pump seal on the vert about a year ago. Do my own oil changes and plugs etc.

Any input regarding the problem and solutions? Replace? Rebuild? Wave Magic Wand? Jump off cliff, forget everything?

RB)

Is there a protocol to follow for testing this system? (1. Do This, No OK, 2. Do That, No OK 3. etc.) I maintain Bentley manuals for the ACVW's but have not purchased one for the vert. Will start by replacing the cabin filter today. I searched but I still got the Duh? goin'. Glad to find someone in the same boat. Maybe "glad" isn't the right word- maybe "sorry" is better word.

Thanks, RB

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/15 at 10:28am
I don't know the bolt length off hand. I think it is about 20mm. pick up a range from 15-30mm and one of them should fit.

35psi seems a little low.

There are a few basic things I would check for diagnosing an AC problem, generally in this order. 
1. Is the relay / fuse good? try swapping AC fuse or relay with another. On the R53, there is a hidden relay attached to the side of the fuse box which requires the kick panel to be removed or peeled back. The dead pedal is in the way. The metal footplate is snapped in place and hides the torx screws needed to remove.
2. Is there sufficient charge? Clutch signal will not be sent to the AC compressor if there is not sufficient charge. Try charging a bit and see if it kicks in. I'm not sure, but I'd guess an idle system would read somewhere around 80PSI on both high and low sides.
3. Is the clutch coil engaging? The pulley portion of the compressor is always spinning. Look for the think (about 5mm) coil on the end of the pulley to engage.
4. Is there correct charge/system is engaged but little to no cool? Purge/charge the system as needed. Use refrigerant with a UV dye. use an ultraviolet light (a black light) to search for leaks. If any are found, purge, repair and recharge.

Unless you know how to read a gauge for pressures/temperatures, only charge to the specified system weight. Always pull a strong vacuum before recharging. Keep vacuum sufficiently long enough to boil off any water that may be in the system. Aim for 1000 microns or lower. At sea level and room temperature, water will not vaporize until below 1200 microns or so.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/15 at 11:14pm
Oops, forget what I said about the relays above - that's the front/rear windshield washer relay location. I think AC relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet next to the ECU/ air box. 
red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 8:36am
So Corners, just to check this again. My pressure should read about 80# when the A/C is on and the car is at operating temp. at idle? The O'Rielly's guy said that the pressure for this vehicle never above 35#. Just need to make sure.

I've read that the compressor coil can be tested with a multimeter. Any reference to this test? I see Rob N refer to it but can't find anything about how to do it.

Thanks RB

Edited by red raven - July/21/15 at 8:42am
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 8:42am
The AC relay is the second from the front in the fuse box under the bonnet.

Kurt, the bolt extractor kit worked and I was able to complete my clutch replacement without further issue.  Did have to use the acutal extractor as the bolt did not come out with the reverse bit.  Now have satisfying cold air.  See, I only needed to wait until it cooled off....

As for then inner large ring clip, I was able to remove it and put it back with 2 flat bladed screw drivers.  The clip has spaces in it on each side to accept the flat blades, then just twist the driver and remove the clip. 

One last thing. After getting everything back together and running properly, I checked the refridgerant levels and found them low.  Added juice but it doesn't seem to want to go above about 36 psi on the low side.  Is this about right or is patience required? 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 8:48am
OK Rob N. where did you get the references for tests on the A/C? 

I don't think we are the only ones struggling with this issue.

Thanks, RB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>