Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 11:12am
80 seems high when AC is working. If AC is not working, 35 is probably too low.
I don't know how to test coil with a multimeter. Other than if it tests the same as a completely open circuit, then you know it is bad.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 1:07pm
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 1:09pm
Oh, and make sure you know which is the low pressure port.  It is the smaller of the 2 and is horizontal.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 3:09pm
Thanks Rob. This helps.
red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/15 at 5:23pm
OK- checked the continuity thru the relay socket pin #87-red, ground-black: Got bells and whistles so the circuit is not open. 
Checked fuse with multi: Good. 
Switched the relay out: no change. 
Comp sounds like it kicks in when a/c is switched on. (comp noise normal when on, stops when off).
Still no cold and still this funny plastic/electric smell from the outputs inside.  
No changes when switching from one output to another. (floor to dash to defrost) Always tested with temp set to LO. (max). 

Kinda leery about adding 134a to a circuit that shows 35#. I have 2 VW bus restos going so I don't really want to blow a load of gold on a gauge set as I can't find one to beg or borrow. Think I could sort out the gauge/temp thing if I did.

Now the sound of head scratching.
RB

Edited by red raven - July/21/15 at 5:36pm
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/15 at 6:00am
Wondering if your AC is working OK but the air handler inside the cabin is somehow messed up and some little door or something is not working.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/15 at 2:02pm
RR,
I was looking in my Bentley and there are 3 servo motors in the dash there that control air flow. 

The temperature control servo is just above the glove compartment (has to be removed), The Recirculation Control Servo motor is behind the glove box I think you can see it), and the air distribution control servo motor is behind the AC control panel.  Sniff around a bit on those as see if you can better locate the source of the smell.

I'm starting to think you may have burned a servo and the flap to the AC isn't opening (temperature control?)

While you are down there under the glove box, pull your cabin air filter and make sure things are flowing and not clogged.  Most  folks have a rats nest of a mess in there an don't even know it.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/15 at 4:05pm
Just changed the cabin filter a year ago so needs one now but wouldn't think it would completely jam. The smell all of a sudden is what alerted me to the problem in the first place. I don't normally use a/c unless it's blazing hot. I live close enough to spit in the ocean so that doesn't happen much. I prefer top down but when it gets to 90+ It's too hot .  

Good thinkin' about the servos. I still get air up the yingyang but just ambient. I may have to buy the Bentley. Does it say anything about how to test them?

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/15 at 6:17am
No but it shows how to remove them.  bet you could remove one, activate the mechanism manually then see if cold air arrives.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/15 at 6:02am

Make sure you get a later version Bentley that covers the cabrio.  It didn't come out until later after cabrio was introduced.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/15 at 9:58am
So RR, what did you find out
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

red raven View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/15 at 12:13pm
Nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12