Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding 17" rims to vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob and Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding 17" rims to vehicle
    Posted: January/28/14 at 11:48am

Greetings Motor Heads,

I am going to move up to 17" rims/tires to replace my stock 'rib spoke' 16" rims and RFT tires.  I want to try the non-RFT tires.  The input I request from you all concerns the size of the tire... 205/45/17 vs 215/45/17.  The overall diameter difference is only about .3".  Do you believe that the 215 would further improve the comfort of the ride?  Clearance issues?  The tires that I am considering are Cont. DWS and Mich. AS3.  Remember that this car is used mainly for touring.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts,

Rob

2017 Clubman S All4- Moonwalk grey w/pearl int. (Moonshadow). Previous MINIs: 2014 All Black F56 Justa . 2013 S Hardtop, 'KERMINI' - BRG/BRG w/Beige interior
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 12:14pm
Hi Rob 

I run the 215s on my car - no problems whatsoever.  You can use 6.5 or 7 inch rims.

I ran 235 track tires on 7.5x17 rims and they only rubbed when I was driving to the track with stuff loaded in the car (later I built a Harbor Freight trailer based tire/track trailer).  Jo has 225s on 7.5x17 rims and she gets rubbing only when going over big bumps with me in the car.

215s will be no problem.  Lots of folk consider that the standard when upgrading rubber on 17 inch rims.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 12:48pm
I run 215's as well, no issues. Wider is typically better, as it gives your car a stronger footprint on the ground, more contact patch, etc. Plus, I think 215/45-17 has more options as far as tires go.

I'd also give a thumbs up to the Hankook Ventus S1Noble2 tire. It's their "Ultra high performance all season" tire, with a 50K mileage warranty, and a 1 year factory road hazard warranty. I have them on my Benz, and they're pretty fantastic. A friend has them on his Civic, and another on his XKR and they're both very happy with them as well. 
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 1:27pm
I have the 205/45/17 CONTI DWS and am very satisfied.  Quiet, round and comfortable.  And sticky.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 8:26pm
I run 215x45's on 17's and they are nice.  Maybe loose a bit of low gear zip, but not enough to be a detriment unless maybe autocross.  On the highway they are great, and your speedometer will be closer to reality.

I am using an automatic tranny as well.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/14 at 3:01am
Not sure if this helps you but I run 215/35-18
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/14 at 9:27am
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Wider is typically better, as it gives your car a stronger footprint on the ground, more contact patch, etc. 

The only way to increase the size of the contact patch is to make your car heavier (or add a bunch of downforce via aerodynamics).

The wider tires WILL change the shape of the contact patch and thus improve general performance because of the improved dynamics of the shape.  At some point there is a peak ROI, where increased width carries with it increased weight and to a lesser extent air drag, at some point your all around performance will begin to decrease.

Having said that...215's should be just about perfect for your power and curb weight. And going from the 16" RFT to 17" standard tires, you shouldn't notice a change in gas mileage or comfort.  But if comfort is of more concern, I would stick with the 16" and get rid of the RFTs.  You'll see a smoother ride and increased gas mileage.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
 Post Reply Post Reply