Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alta CAI why the cost difference

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alta CAI why the cost difference
    Posted: October/21/10 at 10:33am

I am looking at the Alta CAI missed the last sale by one day the current sale is half of what the last one was.  That being said I was looking at the CAI for the manual current sale $207 then I was checking out the CAI for the automatic $132 which is with a few dollars for just the box and filter.  Then I started looking closer and from what I could see the intake tube appeared to be just a little longer and had one extra hose connection.  So I e-mailed Alta they came back with “Thank you for the reply. The Auto Inlet Tube is vastly different than the 6-spd. The shape, length, ports, etc. are all different. It simply won't fit the 6-spd and vice versa”.  My question is has anyone looked at this I know it is only $75 but that would just about pay for the pulley. 

The thing that really frosts my hide is why a bigger and more complex tube would be considerable less moneyFlaming

John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/10 at 3:25pm
Hi, John:

I'm not a huge fan of ALTA.  The fit of some of their products isn't always good, and when you call for help installing gauges or whatever else, there is only one place I know that is less helpful.  It must have something to do with the Portland water supply...

Just my experience - I think others may have had better luck.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/10 at 5:42pm

LOL  I guess it’s my stubborn nature but if I can’t get the CAI for the price they had Sunday I will start to look at other options.  I think Craven has one I’ll start there.  Might have to bite the bullet on the pulley though.

John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
 Post Reply Post Reply