Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/09 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by minigecko minigecko wrote:

Listed updated 3-18-09 

Who am I missing?? 

... and also Paul & Georgia Smith near the Hermiston, OR (Washington/Oregon border).  I have their phone number if you need it.  See ya'll Tuesday morning....  WooHoo
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
bbm View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Hapa Haole Hapa Haole wrote:

Originally posted by minigecko minigecko wrote:

Listed updated 3-18-09 
gominigo
minigecko
Ginabelltown
Prs1
woodstock
peabody
4LFCLVR
Hapa Haole
valvashon
YOYO
Navtech
siggiS
suzwood
GoKart- pick up along the way
Scoop- late start
Claymore - pick up in Jackpot

Who am I missing?? 

I think you're missing bbm (Amman) - ?

Yeah!  You forgot me... bbm.   Don't leave without me.   

Bags packed, spare tire in the back, walkie talkie charged, and oh yeah the car is washed.   Like it's going to stay clean the momment I pull out of the garage Tuesday morning.

Amman

Tater View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 9:52am

Hi everyone -

Having traved these roads before and it is going to be very hard to keep all of us together.  With this said....... it will be best if we go with the buddy system.  So everyone needs to find a partner or partners. 

If we don't have buddies they we will spend toooooo much time waiting for everyone, checking on everyone and so on and so forth.

What do the rest of you think??
Dori
Peabody View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 10:46am

Dori - This sounds like a good idea. I have never been in a convoy this big, but we are sure to get spread out.

I have been checking the weather forecast for our trip.  40% chance or rain or snow on Tuesday through Le Grande, eastern Oregon, and on Wednesday 50% chance of rain or snow from Jackpot through Wells, and 20% chance of rain through Ely.  Has anyone driven through this kind of stuff on prior AMVIVs before?

John 
John & Mavourneen
2008 MCS Cabrio - BRG - 15%pulley - Dinan CAI - H&R rear sway bar - Screamin Demon coil - Craven strut tower defenders - Multivex mirrors
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 11:11am
Don't forget the 60% to 70% chance of snow at Snoqualmie Pass Monday night into Tuesday.  I think that might be our biggest weather headache due to the elevations involved.

As far as the buddy system, that's probably a good idea, but we are after all ending up in the same place Tuesday night.  While you are changing your tire/stemming your coolant leak/wiping deer brains off of your car, your buddy can be calling the others and letting them know why there will be some latecomers.

I don't expect that a group this large will try to stay together.  The just-a-coopers probably can't keep up with our Supercharged brothers anyway, and as for me I can't take the chance of getting a speeding ticket for reasons I can't post publicly.  Quiz me about this after a few at the Irish pub thing.

Bruce

Tater View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 11:18am
We can group by Speed -

Myself and my husband are both lead foot's and I know Gina is as well.  So that is a group of three.
Dori
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 1:33pm
That's what I was thinking too from another just-a-cooper.  I know there are quite a few others who like to drive a lot faster than I do.  I'll speed but only to a certain extent.  So I was thinking that when we join up with you in Ely that we should probably be near the rear so we don't hold everything up.  LOL  I have to admit after the drive today there were a whole lot of trucks and big SUVs on the road (seemed like a lot more than big rigs) and a lot of them were driving pretty aggressively.  I managed to lose a particularly annoying group of trucks heading up into the Blue Mountains.  They couldn' keep up with me on the hills and turns.  Thumbs%20Up
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
prs1 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/09 at 9:38pm
I agree we need to concentrate on getting to point b and not if we are all in line. If everyone knows where we are going and with the cell phone list as well as radios, I would say we can just let things shake out and our own driveing habits will group us. If we have trouble use the cell number list and radios to help each other out.
suzwood View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 2:46am
Ok, so I'm nervous about the weather driving down.  I do not have traction tires and I cannot put chains on......will someone please easy my worries?! Should I go a different route? Is any else in the same position as I am?
<font color=GREEN>'11 MC, BRG/W, Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Packages, 6 speed manual, tinted windows[/COLOR][/COLOR]
ginainbelltown View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:00am
We've run into a little snow in previous years going thru the mountains in Oregon/Idaho.  But, being on an interstate the roads (pavement) was pretty clear.  If we run into it the traffic will slow down and we just drive safely.  Go slow and no sudden turns.  Usually we need to be prepared to scrape windows in Jackpot on Wednesday am.  But, while there has been a little snow on the side of the road the road itself has been fine.  I am running on my all season run-flats and have done so twice before and had no trouble. 
Forget my past; it is my checkered present you need to worry about!

2013 MCS/ Red, White & Checkerboard /CHECKRD
suzwood View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:04am
Thank you Gina! This does make me feel a lot better.
<font color=GREEN>'11 MC, BRG/W, Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Packages, 6 speed manual, tinted windows[/COLOR][/COLOR]
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:07am
And look at it this way, we're all in this together on the road.  If we get stuck, who better to be stuck with than all your MINI friends?!!

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:29am
GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:39am
Heck, I may take my snow tires off in favor of my Sunday-go-to-meeting wheels!
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 3:50am
The worst spot we've previously encountered was going thru the mountains in Eastern Oregon on I84.  Check out the pix from OR DOT:

It looks like Deadman's Pass is the only one with snow on the side of the road.  The roadway is bare.

suzwood View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 4:35am
Sooooo true!
What's better than MINI friends?!
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 5:02am
Originally posted by valvashon valvashon wrote:

Don't forget the 60% to 70% chance of snow at Snoqualmie Pass Monday night into Tuesday.  I think that might be our biggest weather headache due to the elevations involved.

As far as the buddy system, that's probably a good idea, but we are after all ending up in the same place Tuesday night.  While you are changing your tire/stemming your coolant leak/wiping deer brains off of your car, your buddy can be calling the others and letting them know why there will be some latecomers.

I don't expect that a group this large will try to stay together.  The just-a-coopers probably can't keep up with our Supercharged brothers anyway, and as for me I can't take the chance of getting a speeding ticket for reasons I can't post publicly.  Quiz me about this after a few at the Irish pub thing.

Bruce

Karen has a commercial drivers license and cannot afford a ticket either. I did most of the driving last year and got the ticket. She wants to drive more this year so an "up to 5 over the speed limit" would be fine with her.

We can work it out at MickeyD's in the morning.

Karin

Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 5:17am

Was there a posted "packing list" somewhere in this thread?  I want to be sure I'm not forgetting anything.  Any ideas/suggestions?

* Walkie talkies and charger

* GPS & Road Atlas

* Cell phones and chargers

* Digital camera & charger

* Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses (I'm looking forward to some sunshine!) Cool

* Hotel confirmation

* Fix a Flat & portable air compressor

* Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Band-aids ?

* ?

...........etc., etc., etc., etc.

Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
prs1 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 7:58am
Can someone pack for me I'm tired. See you all in the morning......
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 8:50am

Originally posted by suzwood suzwood wrote:

Ok, so I'm nervous about the weather driving down.  I do not have traction tires and I cannot put chains on......will someone please easy my worries?! Should I go a different route? Is any else in the same position as I am?

We just arrived in Ely.  Drive from Boise was a breeze.  Hardly any traffic at all.  Broken clouds and sunshine the whole way.  Chilly though - mid to upper 30s.  Patchy snow on the ground starting just north of Jackpot but the highway was bare and dry!  Only place we saw any Nevada state troopers was just north of McGill.  But it is really really windy!  We had to dodge all kinds of tumbleweeds!  And each time we stopped we had to pick tumbleweeds out of the grill!  Also the roads in Idaho are pretty dirty and when you get behind any semis or other vehicles you can get pelted with dirt.  Larry commented that at this rate we might not have any paint left!  It got better though.  See everybody on Wednesday!  Drive safe!

Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
NavTech View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/09 at 10:00am
Change of plans for me, we decided to go ahead and shoot the pass today incase of show tonight. We are staying in yakima and will catch up with the group along the way. If you don't mind can someone give me a call when you get near here. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345