Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bushing replacement + leaky power steering hose?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bushing replacement + leaky power steering hose?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushing replacement + leaky power steering hose?
    Posted: June/14/15 at 4:52am
Hello!

I drive an R53 from 2003. I recently found out my bushings are worn clean, so those need to be replaced. From what I've read, polyurethane bushings seem to be the go-to since the stock ones wear out really fast. Other than powerflex, do you have any other recommendations? (My control arms seem to be ok; madness motorworks are selling brand new control arms + bushings for 10 dollars more though [hmm... hmmm...]).

When I rolled it out of the shop the other day, the mechanics also told me that my power steering hose is leaking? The only tip-off was the power steering fluid's slow drip down the pump, although it wasn't excessive. There is no whine when my steering wheel is turned. How can you tell if it was the pump itself vs the hose?

For more bad news, I think my supercharger has a low boost (maybe?) because I don't really hear any supercharger whine when I drive, although I hear this weird hollow sound by my left foot (what is it? my mechanic said that it was the "air harmonizing"; I think he'd just feeding me hooey).

This is overwhelming - I know. I'm thinking about driving cross country next month... so she needs a real fix after her service 2 weeks ago.

Thank you!

PS: I am totally geared to do my own labor, I am open to renting tools/working with someone who has more experience :( My mechanics quoted me 1.5k to fix my baby :(.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/15 at 9:02am
I'm not sure there are many options other than powerflex, MINI Mania or Alta may have their own, but I've been running powerflex for years, couldn't be happier. I also have the PF transmission inserts, they make a notable difference. 

If your arms are fine, I see no reason to replace them when the bushings themselves are relatively cheap ( I see a $100 price diff between just the bushes and the whole arm). If their arm was some lightweight cast piece, I could see spending the extra $$, but in the end you'll end up with the exact same arm and your wallet will be $100 lighter. I'd just go with the bushings themselves, labor should be the same regardless. 

The PS hoses are notorious for leaking after a while. Pump should be fine, you'd just want to replace the hoses with new clamps, clean things up, that should fix it. Most older cars develop leaks after some time, nothing to panic about, just make sure the fluid stays topped off until you can fix the hoses.

Not sure what the hollow sound is without hearing it, but did you have whine previously? A stock Cooper S is pretty quiet in the whine department until you start getting into aftermarket intakes. But I do recall some of the earlier SC's having problems with the coating on the impellars coming off prematurely. I don't know what the symptoms are of this, someone else may be able to chime in on that, or a NAM search possibly. Maybe you can record a video of the sound, share that in the post? 

I wouldn't say any of this is overwhelming, just normal'ish wear/tear for a 12 year old car with what I assume has some decent mileage on it?? 

Also, where are you in the area, posting that as well will help people to know if they're close by you to take a listen, etc. 
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/15 at 10:59pm
I live in the Crown Hill + Greenwood area of Seattle. I noticed quite a bit of Minis around my neighborhood too.

I was thinking about PF as well, just wanted to explore options. What difference does the transmission inserts make for you? Thanks for your advice on the bushings + control arms. I was wondering if my control arms would get damaged from my worn bushings.

If I'm changing my PS hoses, I'd switch both hoses right? I was leaning towards that since I'd be in there anyway. 

I didn't have a whine previously; I bought it used, at about 89k on the odometer, and didn't notice a whine. If anything, it's possible that I'm mistaking the hollow sound for the whine? (I tried to show this to my mechanic but he didn't hear anything). I'll see what I can do about the video. 

Would it be reasonable to perhaps rent out a parking bay somewhere and tools (O'Reilly?) to work? 
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/15 at 6:55am
Oh, you're not far from me actually. Sadly I don't have a garage, but have some tools. You may want to hit up Corners on here (Kurt), he does a lot of work on members cars, but he's also pretty busy too; still check with him though.

The trans inserts made quite a difference, they limit the movement of the engine under acceleration, but also transmit more NVH into the cab as well, not enough to bother me, but noticeable. 

I'd do both hoses, yeah.

The hollow sound could be the whine, but also remember the air intake sits directly in front of the driver (you) so that might be related as well. With no mods, the S is pretty quiet, I didn't really get any whine until I upgraded my pulley and put an intake on it. 

I know there is a shop in Kirkland I think, that you rent by the hour, they have lifts and tools available if you want to tackle the job yourself (getting the arms back inside the bushings and lined up can be a pain), but check with Kurt first.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 2:44am
I PMed him! I think I'll be okay just having someone around to give me pointers and help with tools.

Probably an ignorant question, but going to ask anyway. I looked on Pelican Parts, and they list three types of PS hoses: pressure hose, intake hose, and return hose. I'm guessing I'll be swapping out the latter two? What's the pressure hose for?

My mechanic did mention about it being the air as it's in front of the driver's side (though he said it was "empty", so it was the air harmonizing).

I was also thinking about installing one of those anti-theft battery disconnect things.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 6:46am
If you're good with a wrench and some tools, you'll do fine. Definitely check out that shop in Kirkland, you'll want a torque wrench and probably some air tools. 

In the list, I believe you want the first two hoses, those are the ones you see in the engine compartment. The description on Pelican tells you what each hose is for/where it goes/what it does. 

Why the battery disconnect? Your battery is in the back, and you only have a + terminal under the hood, not sure what the concern is there?

Jason
alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 7:37am
I was thinking that it would be useful for anti theft?

I get a little paranoid I would return to my car only to find it missing.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 7:57am
MINI's are pretty hard to steal in general, and you'd have to mount that at the battery in the boot. The problem there is then it's tricky to get back in the car to reconnect it, as you have to go in through the door and use the manual hatch release under the back seat to reconnect the battery. Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Without a programmed key to match your vehicle, no one will be able to steal it (as far as I know). 
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 9:54am
2003 Cooper, someone could hide in the bushes near your car or you with an expensive scanner to capture your key code when you unlock the car with the remote. Unfortunately for them, it is a rolling code and will be different the next time you lock the car.  Easiest way to steal cars now is using a flatbed towtruck.  And there isn't really a way to prevent that except parking in a garage.  I'm not sure Mini's are a hot item to steal either.  

Yes, you want the intake and return hoses.  They're the ones going to/from the fluid reservoir and are subject to the exhaust heat.  You also need new hose clamps to go with the hoses.  The factory ones are pinch type single use.  I also recommend getting a new power steering reservoir right now.  There is a non-replaceable filter inside, and since you are draining the system (most of it) and replacing the two hoses connected to it, it's a good time for a new filter/reservoir.  I'd do this on a 75-100k schedule (or when hoses start to leak), or more often if you do track stuff.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 1:31pm
Huh! So I'm basically paranoid for nothing? I got my window smashed on Cap Hill one day and it's my first car, so these are contributing factors to my paranoia.

Also, I was wondering about the difference between brands? On Pelican Parts (and even on Google), there's a pretty big price difference between a certain brand and genuine Mini parts. 

I can definitely pick up hose clamps at a basic automotive/hardware store, right? I noticed O-rings and cap seal, I would need to pick those up too, right?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 3:37pm
paranoid about getting car stolen yes, need the key to start it.

Pelican gives a quality/rating system for the different brands.  Genuine Mini means Pelican actually orders directly from Mini, so essentially you are paying Pelican to be a middle man, you can get the same (or similar) price at Seattle Mini.  
Have you used realoem before?  You'll need from the following diagram/page: 1, 2, 11, 13, and 14.  Note the quantities listed in the table for each part.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=RE33-USA-03-2003-R53-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=32_1266

Also, item 1 from this page, and you'll see that the cap seal comes as a set of items with item 1, no need to purchase separately.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=RE33-USA-03-2003-R53-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=32_1267

You also need at least one bottle of Pentosin CHF11S.

alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/15 at 6:44pm
It sounds like I need to make a call to Seattle Mini to compare prices.

I think you got your links switched Tongue

So my shopping is includes
1. PS Reservoir + cap 32-41-6-851-217
2. Intake hose 32416754498
3. Return hose 32416781744
4. 1 Hose clamp 32111131345
5. 2 Gasket Ring 32411093597 
6. 2 Gasket Ring 07119906463
7. Hose clamp 16121180242

Also checking, this is the part I want for my bushing right? It says front wishbone rear bushing, and it looks like the one I've seen in videos. 

I also caught sight of some differences between 60mm and 80mm? What was that about? I think realoem listed my bushing's D as 66mm.

Edited by alix2 - June/16/15 at 7:18pm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/15 at 8:32am
Oops LOL
Don't forget the PS Fluid.  The cap on the reservoir will also remind you what type you need.  And you don't have to use the hose clamps specified, they are single use pinch clamps.  I usually get comparable size screw type clamps, and I have a preference for the good quality ones Mini uses (also available from Pelican).
these two look like the right sizes, double check my selection before ordering, I haven't finished my coffee yet...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=HC12209-M130
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=HC20329-M130

Not sure about the bushings, that's still on my list of things to do.
alix2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alix2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/15 at 4:13pm
I've gotten everything. I also need to get a new wheel lock set and a new antenna. Going to sleep on my cart before I put in the order.
 Post Reply Post Reply