Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Headers
    Posted: March/10/11 at 5:12pm
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the cheap headers/other parts that can be purchased on eBay?  

I'm on a bit of a budget and some of these parts look like they would be interesting.  
Click here for the eBay Header

My question is, is spending this discounted amount on a cheap header worth it, or is it more trouble than it's worth?  

-Nick

Edited by Twiggles85 - March/10/11 at 5:14pm
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/11 at 5:45pm
One thing I've read about the cheaper parts off ebay is the tendency to crack from the heat, as if the welds aren't very good or strong.  Something else I noticed about that header is that it only has one bung for an o2, not two like the stock setup.

Also, how would you work that with a cat?
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Twiggles85 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/11 at 5:51pm
Yeah it kind of looks like they're promoting a test pipe situation.
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/11 at 5:53pm
I dunno...I'm leery of putting cheap parts on my car, especially something like exhaust parts.  Just my own opinion, but in some situations, you get what you pay for.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/11 at 5:54pm
Hey, go look on NAM, someone just posted a superprint header with stock cat and magnaflow exhaust, but he's looking to trade it for stock + cash
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/11 at 10:15pm
I'm not sure about that brand.  I bought an OBX off ebay for $150 and had it ceramics coated.  I'm sure the RMW and others are higher quality but I couldn't afford it.  However, with the OBX you can either run a straight DP and throw codes (or get an O2 sim).  Or cut your cat off and weld to the OBX.  or buy a high flow cat and weld.  Either way you still have additional expenses unless you can weld.  I haven't installed my headers and if you want to take a look at them just let me know.

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/11 at 12:17am
OBX is about the safest ebay header,  but are know to crack and leak. You can buy a O2 sim for gen 1s or you can use one of these to get around the code. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Edited by johnf36 - March/11/11 at 12:18am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply