Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Job
    Posted: January/10/12 at 9:04am
Anyone have done it or recommend a shop?
mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesminirox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 1:49pm
 Where are you located. There is Speedware in Redmond. AES in Kenmore. It won't be cheap. Around $800.00 in parts alone
I cheated. I had the motor out for other reasons. The original clutch had 102,000+ autocross, track time and commuting. And still had a few miles left.
When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Ammi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 1:53pm
I'm in Auburn.  Do you know how much they would charge for labor?  What clutch/flywheel setup did you end up going with?  Do you like your current setup?
mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesminirox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/12 at 4:47am
As far as labor probably close to the same as parts 4 to 6 hundred. As far as clutch here was my post about it. Stage 2 competion clutch.( Competition Clutch) is the manufacture.

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Ammi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/12 at 9:25pm
anyone local know how to pull the tranny for a clutch swap?  I know how to drop the subframe but that's as far as I've gone on this car.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/12 at 10:22pm

I don't know how yet but that wouldn't stop me from trying. :-) It doesn't seem to be that hard. There are two ways - You can just drop the subframe, and the transmission slides off the side with the engine still in place.
You can also lift the engine+transmission out of the top of the car with the subframe intact. This gives a lot more room to work. 

This is probably the best online guide: 
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/96588-drivetrain-clutch-flywheel-and-quaife-install-overview.html
It details how the subframe removal method. There are posts that discuss removing the engine instead but I can't seem to find them. 

I could be doing this myself eventually. I want to install a LSD and not sure if I want to wait for my clutch to go out (I am at 59,000 miles). 

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/12 at 4:12pm
I just did this. You saw my other post. 

I got an OEM clutch for $285 from Way Motor Works. The dual mass flywheel is expensive - over $700. 
Since i would be doing the labor myself, I decided to not order a flywheel, and if it turned out to be bad, I would just take everything apart again. 
I roughed it up a bit with a rotary abrasive tool, making sure that I was consistent across the entire disk. 
Turns out my flywheel was still OK.

The book time for this job is probably at least 8-10 hours, so labor costs could run $600 - $1000... 

Way also has a Valeo kit with single mass flywheel for about $450. 

I've heard that the single mass setup causes increased transmission noise... 

Post Reply Post Reply