Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil,Plug wires,and plugs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil,Plug wires,and plugs?
    Posted: November/14/11 at 4:32am
Who has the best performance coil,plug wires, and plugs for the 2003 MCS?   It looks like my car has all stock equipment so I would like to change it out.  Oh yeah where is the best place to get this stuff?
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/11 at 7:34am
Everything I've heard is that stock is just fine. The only issue you might have is with a corroded third terminal on the coil pack. You could clean that up or get another stock one or get an MSD pack. 
I got an MSD pack and some red wires to match, but there is no performance gain. 
Moreover, it caused noise issues on the dyno with being able to read the spark and obtaining a maximum torque value. 

Any other opinions? 
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/11 at 7:54am
Brisk spark plugs. Varies depending on mods, but most likely DR14S. Got mine from Alta. Made a noticeable difference in overall smoothness in daily driving too.  Coll 
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/11 at 10:04am
Really depends on if you have any mods on your car, or if you plan on them if you're running stock.  Stock setup is just fine for a daily driver and even some modest mods, but do watch that #3 terminal on the coil pack, they corrode as Kurt said.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
beken View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/11 at 2:42pm

Also, for stock, watch the #4 plug wire connector at the sparkplug end.  My connector had essentially corroded and turned to dust.   I was still getting a connection, but replaced the wire anyways.  Only because I felt a slight intermittent misfire.  That misfire is gone after I replaced the cable. 

It didn't seem to make any difference in overall performance.  

beken - 05 MCS BEP Alta 22mm Rear antisway bar, MINI-Madness CAI, Alta 15%, NGK BKR7EIX
 Post Reply Post Reply