Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Air Intake for the S
    Posted: March/10/05 at 12:38am

Which one is best?

Easiest to install?

Provides the most HP gain?

Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 2:43am

The JCW cold air intake is probably the best most integrated solution providing the greatest improvement without compromise.

The advantage the JCW has over others is that it has a solenoid operated cold air port that opens above 4200 rpm to allow large amounts of air flow when the engine really needs it, rather than at lower rpm where the performance may be compromised by unrestricted airflow.  The JCW is not the cheapest solution however.

RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 7:39am

the cheapest solution is the HAI (Hot Air Intake) which is a large K&N Oval filter mounted directly onto the throttle body.  That is what I am running and it seems to work well.  I haven't dyno'd it but it sounds good!  You can get some more info on NAM.  Just search for Hot Air Intake.

At some point I will probably switch to the M7 Air Gain System which basically replaces the intake, throttle body, and intake runner.  Not cheap though...

2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Dave Dave wrote:

The JCW cold air intake is probably the best most integrated solution providing the greatest improvement without compromise.

The advantage the JCW has over others is that it has a solenoid operated cold air port that opens above 4200 rpm to allow large amounts of air flow when the engine really needs it, rather than at lower rpm where the performance may be compromised by unrestricted airflow.  The JCW is not the cheapest solution however.

Is there a significant difference in the whine on acceleration? About how much HP gain?

I was already looking at the JCW tuning kit but I cannot find prices for it.

Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by ArmyDog ArmyDog wrote:

Is there a significant difference in the whine on acceleration? About how much HP gain?

I was already looking at the JCW tuning kit but I cannot find prices for it.

That should tell ya that it's pricey.about 450.00 is what I here. Check out dinan they have the cowl induct just no flapper only 250.00 as far as HP 3 to 5 max many claim more (key word CLAIM). As far as wine it is more profound.

Mike

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 1:44pm

No question JCW is more expensive - can't remember exactly how much mine was, in included new injectors and s/w.  If you want serious whine all the time then JCW is not the one.  Because of flap JCW only whines significantly above 4500.  I think that's preferable but it's just a matter of choice.

John Cooper Works claims that their intake adds 8bhp.  Frankly I'm inclined to believe them

I also added the Dinan throttle body at the same time.

RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 2:01pm
GULP! $450 for the JCW airbox?  You could almost get a new TB and intake for that!

of course, you keep the warranty with a JCW.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/05 at 4:36pm

No question JCW is more expensive - can't remember exactly how much mine was, in included new injectors and s/w.  If you want serious whine all the time then JCW is not the one.  Because of flap JCW only whines significantly above 4500.  I think that's preferable but it's just a matter of choice.

John Cooper Works claims that their intake adds 8bhp.  Frankly I'm inclined to believe them

I also added the Dinan throttle body at the same time.

Guys I appreciate your input. Decisions, Decisions.

I was reading the reviews of the JCW tuner kit for the S in NAM and I just cant see paying the $$$ for a extra extra HP. I will probably wait till Mini Korea gets their parts and service dept set up and go for broke with a JCW upgrade package and maybe the JCW big brakes too. It will be awhile before I can get the work done.

When I drive I usually wind it up the Rs to shift point. I really enjoy the whine at high Rs. Plus it make people look and you can see on their faces "what the heck!". I just keep on grinning.

Post Reply Post Reply