Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Continental Extreme Contact DWS - Feedback anyone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continental Extreme Contact DWS - Feedback anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continental Extreme Contact DWS - Feedback anyone?
    Posted: January/04/11 at 9:24pm

I am in desperate need of tires.  The stock OE Dunlops that came on my MINI have rediculously little traction, especially in this weather as they are Performance Summer Run Flat Tires.  Honestly, I have yet to really experience the HP/Torque the car has to offer because I can't get traction through 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (which I then give up...).  The other day I put it in Sport Mode going down the freeway at about 55mph, dropped it into 5th, and accelerated for a split second and the RF tire broke free.  It shocked me.  Needless to say, they need to go... quick.  It's a safety issue in my opinion.

So, I'm looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.  I have a number of friends who swear by them and they drive a couple M3s, a M5, and an Audi RS4. 

Does anyone have these on their MINI?  I'd love to get some feedback.  The idea of a strong performing Ultra High Performance All-Season baffles me.

Thanks,
Todd

Edited by Sanderskog - January/04/11 at 9:39pm
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
It's-a-MINI! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:31pm
I don't have them but not for lack of trying, if you are able to find these tires please let me know where as they are on at least a 4 month back order.  Pat has tried local dealers as well as on-line trying to find them as all 4 of my RF's need replacing at 14,500 miles.

Bobbe & Pat

2010 JCW Interchange Yellow Convertible, all packages, Nav,lounge leather,rally lights,park control, Xenon,19mm sway bar.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:34pm
Wow. Was that on dry pavement? (55mph wheel spin). My MINI would never be able to do that even with rubbish tires.  I wonder if your car has a tune on top of all that JCW stuff.  

I have the Toyo Proxes 4 tires. They are supposedly all-season tires but they are rubbish in anything more than damp pavement. They are great in the summer though! 

Hope someone can give you some feedback. 
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by It's-a-MINI! It's-a-MINI! wrote:

I don't have them but not for lack of trying, if you are able to find these tires please let me know where as they are on at least a 4 month back order.  Pat has tried local dealers as well as on-line trying to find them as all 4 of my RF's need replacing at 14,500 miles.

Sorry, I forgot to respond to your other post.  I'm going to go away from the stock tire size (205/45) which is really hard to come by and go with a 215/45.  The 215/45 is MUCH easier to come by, TireRack has them in stock right now.  They'll be 1/2 inch wider than stock and approx. 1/3 in larger circumference.  Impact on the speedo should be minor.

I'm going this route for two reason.  First, I want a bit wider tire for traction.  Second, while running a none RF tire I don't want to find myself unable to find a replacement if I ever have an issue with a tire in the future.   When I had my last MINI the 205/45 seemed to always be out of stock or on back order.

Hope that helps!
Todd

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:46pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:52pm
Thanks, Jack, Pat says we need the 205/45/17's

Bobbe & Pat

2010 JCW Interchange Yellow Convertible, all packages, Nav,lounge leather,rally lights,park control, Xenon,19mm sway bar.

Ferari View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 9:53pm
I've experienced the same issue with the Dunlops and have no confidence in the tires in the winter weather.  With the power in the JCW I hesitate to get on the throttle unless we have dry roads and even then can break it loose in 3rd gear. Came from a set of BF Goodrich KDW's on an Audi A6 and cannot believe the lack of traction with the Dunlops.  Hoping the tires wear out quickly so that I can replace them although I am hoping for a sepate set of wheels for summer tires and use the stock rims for winter tires.  Like your idea of sizing up which will provide more options.  Overall, if you can find the Continentals don't think you can go wrong. 
2009 JCW, Chili Red/Black
1996 Ford Bronco, Eddie Bauer
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1966 Ford F-100 4x4
1965 Ford Falcon Sprint - Dad's Toy 2
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Wow. Was that on dry pavement? (55mph wheel spin). My MINI would never be able to do that even with rubbish tires.  I wonder if your car has a tune on top of all that JCW stuff.  

It was on my commute in on Monday morning.  Dry but very very cold. 

The car is stock.  I honestly don't think it's the hp/tq, it's the poor tires.  The tires slipped, didn't fully spin.  Enough for me to not need coffee that morning. The car is quite impressive though.  The R55/R56 puts out considerable more torque with the turbo than my old R53 did with the SC.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 10:06pm

Thanks, Jack, Pat says we need the 205/45/17's
Curious as to why.

Calling Pat?!?!?

LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Ferari Ferari wrote:

I've experienced the same issue with the Dunlops and have no confidence in the tires in the winter weather.  With the power in the JCW I hesitate to get on the throttle unless we have dry roads and even then can break it loose in 3rd gear. Came from a set of BF Goodrich KDW's on an Audi A6 and cannot believe the lack of traction with the Dunlops.  Hoping the tires wear out quickly so that I can replace them although I am hoping for a sepate set of wheels for summer tires and use the stock rims for winter tires.  Like your idea of sizing up which will provide more options.  Overall, if you can find the Continentals don't think you can go wrong. 
I went that route with my old MINI and honestly perfer to just stick with one wheel if I can do it.  Switching was great in the Winter but I never liked the look of the winter tires in the winter (which tends to be the longer season Cry).

LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 10:55pm
1st here is a GREAT link to gather everything you ever need to know about tires & wheels:
Be sure to Bookmark it: http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_factory_wheels

I think the entire universe is out of the 205/45zr17's.  Tire rack does have the 215's and the 225.
So if you did find a 205 and then had a problem are you prepared to wait months if not years .....??

I'm hesitant on moving up to the 215 because that is a non standard tire size, it puts more rubber on the road and then what affect does that have on my warranty should I have an issue beside the affect on handling.  Could they say going with a non standard tire caused more stress on this widget etc etc etc... you know how it goes they always look for a way out!

Now I've been looking at other options.
The Conti DWS are rated 540 A  A.  I don't like the single A Traction rating.
Other options I'm looking at: Note:  I'm ONLY looking at All Weather Tires - NON RF 84W or higher.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus: 500 AA A 88Y Price $154-$191
Dunlop SP Sport signature (W & ): 420 AA A 88W Price $131
Faulken ZE 912 UHP:  360 AA A  88W Price: $87- $120
General Exclaim UHP: 380 AA A  84W Price: $$105-$140
Hope this helps and I'd like to see other tire options also.

Pat

P.S. One thing I have learned that when you talk tires you must be very specific and include the tire exact name/model and size.  Just to say my Goodyears sucked is not good.  Every manufacture has good and bad tires and even within a tire model good and bad tires for different sizes.  I ran into this with Carlisle trailer tires.  Just because they had problems with one size and one model does not reflect all their tires are bad.

Edited by It's-a-MINI! - January/04/11 at 11:05pm

Bobbe & Pat

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 11:15pm
I had no problem getting a couple Toyo Proxes 4 tires in 205/45/17 size about a month ago. I got them online. 

Of the list above, I'd probably prefer the Dunlop or the Falken. I'm a little wary of the tires with the higher wear ratings. To me, that sounds like they will be made out of a harder rubber and less grippy. There are exceptions, but they are more costly (like the Michelins above). 
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 11:23pm
Your Proxes 4's are rated 280 AA A.  My original ContiSport Contact 3 SSR Run Flats were also rated at 280 AA A and I'm close to needing new tires at 14,500 miles.
It would be interesting to see if anyone has run 400 plus tires to see what they say.

Pat

Bobbe & Pat

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 11:29pm
Corners;
Did you notice how much cheaper your tires were compared to Les Schwab.  They have a lock on TOYO's in the NW and therefore can charge what the market will bear.  I've got TOYO's on my truck and will never get them here even when they are on sale. 

Pat

Edited by It's-a-MINI! - January/04/11 at 11:29pm

Bobbe & Pat

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/11 at 11:43pm
I remember the tire shop found a bubble in the sidewall and quoted me a price, but it was nuts. I think something like $190 per tire. I can't remember, but I think I paid no more than $145 per tire and avoided tax as well! 
I just had them drop shipped to Woodinville Sports Cars and they just charged their fee to mount them! 
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 7:12am
Great thread guys! I placed an order for the Continental Extreme DWS' last August and Tire Rack can't even begin to estimate when they'll be able to fill it.  I am ready to give up on the tire order so this is some great info.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 7:25am

Pat

P.S. One thing I have learned that when you talk tires you must be very specific and include the tire exact name/model and size.  Just to say my Goodyears sucked is not good.  Every manufacture has good and bad tires and even within a tire model good and bad tires for different sizes.  I ran into this with Carlisle trailer tires.  Just because they had problems with one size and one model does not reflect all their tires are bad.

You can actually take it a step further.  The same tire, model, and size can be made at two totally different plants (Germany vs. Brazil) and have different handling characteristics.  A friend of mine and I found this to be true on our identically built BMWs.  If you go to the manufacturers website you can typically see where they are made as well.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 7:27am

I'm hesitant on moving up to the 215 because that is a non standard tire size, it puts more rubber on the road and then what affect does that have on my warranty should I have an issue beside the affect on handling.  Could they say going with a non standard tire caused more stress on this widget etc etc etc... you know how it goes they always look for a way out!

Sounds like a great question for the tech session on the 15th.  Although I can imagine they'd have much to stand behind since MINI offers so many different tires sizes and wheel weights from the factory.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

Sounds like a great question for the tech session on the 15th.  Although I can imagine they'd have much to stand behind since MINI offers so many different tires sizes and wheel weights from the factory.

Todd

Exactly. Especially since a 215 tire was not an option for our build.

Pat

Edited by It's-a-MINI! - January/05/11 at 10:48am

Bobbe & Pat

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 11:49am
For you gear guys/gals is there a major difference between the tire Traction rating of AA vs A.
The reason I ask is I think all the MINI OEM tires are traction rated AA and it looks like the Conti DWS are only traction rated A.

Pat

Edited by It's-a-MINI! - January/05/11 at 11:50am

Bobbe & Pat

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 1:22pm
Tire traction is rated AA, A, B or C, with AA at the top of the scale. This rating is based on the tire's ability to stop a car on wet concrete and asphalt.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 1:25pm
Isn't there an AAA as well? 
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote It's-a-MINI! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/11 at 2:04pm
Martin's got the rating correct....no AAA.  But the real unlined question is:  Is there a reason and does it matter that MINI uses only AA rated tires as OEM equipment?

Pat

Edited by It's-a-MINI! - January/05/11 at 2:05pm

Bobbe & Pat

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/11 at 1:01pm
The tire size issue is a good question for the TECH Session.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/11 at 10:35pm
I just got the DWS on our 2006 S today. We went with the 215/45/17s cause I knew that the larger size would still fit the stock 17 inch rims and I didn't want any other tire. Also, the increased diameter of the tire reduces the amount that the speedo is off from 2 mph to 1. We now have them on both of our cars and they are amazing. I highly recomend everyone just going with the 215s and avoiding the numerous months of back order time.
"Do these stripes make me look fast?"

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/11 at 4:14am
Originally posted by tyintegra tyintegra wrote:

I just got the DWS on our 2006 S today. We went with the 215/45/17s cause I knew that the larger size would still fit the stock 17 inch rims and I didn't want any other tire. Also, the increased diameter of the tire reduces the amount that the speedo is off from 2 mph to 1. We now have them on both of our cars and they are amazing. I highly recomend everyone just going with the 215s and avoiding the numerous months of back order time.

I put the 215x45x17 Dunlop Wintersport SP M3 on mine and found exactly the same thing.  Nice tire, reduces speedo error a bit and the car still accelerates well and corners well.  I liked it so much I got a set of AS Bridgestone tires for when snow was not predicted, 215x45x17.  I suppose if I wanted a strictly HP Summer tire with no flex in anything then the 205 might be better but since I don't track the car the 215's work great!  If you wanted to track the car with 215's then get a slightly wider rim, like 7.5 instead of the stock 7's.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/11 at 6:45am
I think any fles that you are feeling from the 215s is probably just the fact that there is so much more tread on the new tires compared to the ones that were replaced or maybe if you are comparing them to run flats, cause the extra side wall height for the 215s over the 205s is only 4.5mm. Unless you truelly are one with your car.

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/11 at 6:55am
It is not sidewall height that is apparent but the extra sidewall bulge is apparent from the wider tire being compressed onto the more narrow rim.  I have NON-runflats on some PIAA Eurotech 7x17 rims running Bridgestone RE760 Sports 205x45 and they do not flex at all.  They handle like the stock runflats but they are way more quiet than the runflats and more smooth of a ride and are my choice for performance summer tires.  For AS tires the 215's are just fine.

S.

tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/11 at 7:05am
Oh ok. Just thought that that might be the reason, I will see if I notice the same type of thing once I am able to get the full potential out of them (after the break in period).

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/11 at 7:12am
With the sidewall being more vertical there is less wiggle, not much but it is noticeable.  I was surprised and I think for an everyday driver I prefer the 215.  Speed rating of the tires also makes a difference in ride.

S.

Edited by SMOG-1 - January/08/11 at 7:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>