Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Dealer Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disappointed in Seattle MINI Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disappointed in Seattle MINI Service
    Posted: May/12/11 at 12:50pm
A few weeks back I had my Clubman into Seattle MINI for the 15k service.  The report I got back states they did the intake filter, cabin filter, changed the oil, changed the brake fluid, etc.  I asked that they put new wipers on the car while it was there as well but they told me at pickup that they could not (under the service contract) as the wiper arms were after market (I mentioned the stock ones were in the trunk prior).

Fast forward to last night.  When I got home from work the new JCW "kit" intake that I bought came in.  For those that don't know the stock JCW cars come with a panel filter and the "kit" comes with a better breathing conical intake.  To my surprise, when I pulled the top of the stock air box off to replace the filter and housing I found an older used intake filter and a bunch of dried leaves and bits of paper throughout the intake box.  It was very obvious MINI Seattle claimed they did work they they didn't do. 

I don't know about you all but finding dried up autumn leaves would prove to be rather difficult in Seattle, especially with the weather we've had (my car is from LA).

I have a call into Jeff, the Service Manager.

I'm not happy with the experience.

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 1:09pm
Wow Todd, I would be ticked if I found that. That is pretty ridiculous, just one more reason I won't take my car there when he reaches 50K. Let us know how the phone call goes and if they give you some BS about it!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 1:44pm
Argh. I would like to chalk this up to a communication error where somebody was just ticking off boxes and someone else was doing the work. 
Did they change your oil and brake fluid? :-P 

I did my 50K service myself. Probably saved over $200 and know it was done right. 
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 3:02pm
Got a call back from Jeff.  He stated that the intake filter isn't part of the 15k service. 

Odd that I was told it was done and it's on the paperwork.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Todd

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 5:21pm

WOW.. Speechless
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 5:42pm
Very surprised at this. The service dept. at Seattle Mini seems first rate even compared to NW Mini.

I'd be a little troubled by the fact they didn't say the air filter wasn't part of the 15,000 miles service when you took it in, but why put it on the paper work saying it was changed???????

Maybe it's just poor communication and thankfully, it's not a critical component like not changing the oil would be if they said they did but didn't. Now that could have dire consequences!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/11 at 8:53pm
Agreed.  I'll chalk it up to miscommunication.  I'm not going to stress it.

LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:00am
I took my 2011mcs into Seattle Mini to get some warranty work done AND change the oil and filter @ 1,500 miles (old school thinking).  No evidence that the filter was changed BUT they sure did an oil change and filled the oil above all the plastic Indicator Area so it was on the round steel part about 1/2" or more up that rod.  Over fills are not a good thing.

I waited over night with the car in my garage on the flat concrete slab to check this.  I decided to use the fluid extractor to remove the excess and at least get the oil back down onto the plastic indicator area of the dipstick.  It was a good 1/2 quart over full.  Looks like they put in enough oil for an "Oil and Filter Change" but never changed the filterErmm.

At the same time they were supposed to be doing this work they backed into a pole and had to replace the Bumper Cover.  They managed to get it done and painted in a timely manner, but they also had to replace the Bumper Protector (that black plastic thingy protecting the hatch sill area of the bumper).  It now has bubbles all over it and everything I have tried (hair dryer and parking in the sun) did not remove those bubbles.  Looks like I will have to remove it and put another on one myselfRaspberry.  It appears that the Service Department lower level folks are not on the same page as the Service Management.

S.

Edited by SMOG - May/13/11 at 8:07am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:19am
Stephen, hope you talked to them about this. Over filling the oil is a serous issue and I'd make sure they are aware of this mistake.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:21am
Stephen, forgot to mention the body work.

TAKE IT BACK. That's just BS. Fix it right.

Cheers!
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:23am
A coworker, Bill with the BRG JCW Clubman from years back, just picked up his car from Seattle MINI and found that one of the speaker grills has a massive crack in it (drivers door) that wasn't there when dropping the car off.  He's already contacted SM and working on a replacement.  Disappointing though as the individual that cracked the grill would have known and didn't do anything proactively about it. 

Todd

LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 8:35am
I think the Mini Dealerships rely on the fact that they are few and far between.  Anyone living on the West Side of the Sound has an all day adventure in getting anything done @ Seattle Mini due to the terrible commute.  Even if you get a Loaner then you have to go back again!  It boils down to the quality of the work done, or lack thereof.  This was the reason I did not get Extended Warranties or Service Contracts since it is not worth the hassle.  I can find decent mechanics on this side of the Sound or at least ones that do the same level of work.

I love driving my Mini's but the hassles encountered make me want to drive something else that could be serviced locally.

No, I never told Seattle Mini about the oil over fill because they would just say "Bring it in and we will check it".  In all previous oil fills/changes with other cars I checked the oil before driving away.  With Mini I thought I could delete this drill, but apparently NOT!

I agree, it is bull...

S.

Edited by SMOG - May/13/11 at 8:36am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 12:58pm
Sounds like a phone call to Kyle.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 1:45pm
Agree..always best to talk to the service manager and make sure things are clear and understood. I'm sure that nothing was intentional, but any good manager needs to know what's going on in the shop and want's to ensure every customer is taken care of. Mistakes happen, but how they are handled is the key to good management and customer service.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 4:53pm
The Service Manager is Jeff McLaughlin, and I did call him this morning but he has not returned my call yet.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 5:36pm
S:
Kyle is Jeff's boss he over see both dealerships now.

J

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 5:41pm
J:

Yes, I knew he got promoted but if memory serves me correctly that mean he is more difficult to access, sort of like a politician moving up the food chain. 

It just might be worth an attempt to track down his phone number!

S.

firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/11 at 10:23pm
Not trying to offend anyone but my experience with dealerships has never been "excellent" and i've had many makes / models over the years.

The only time i've ever taken any of them to the dealers was for warranty work and every single time the car would come back either put together wrong, broken parts, or they just flat out lie to me as far as what's been done.

Pathetic they treat people like this and charge top dollar for it.

Find a good indie mechanic, ask around, ask again, and google it then STICK TO THEM!  Very hard to find someone you can trust with your car.
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/11 at 6:45am
I agree Firehawk! 

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/11 at 11:35am
We now have a several shops that treat the club members very well if you don't want to use the dealers and we just added new one.

Beno View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 9:32pm
I don't care for dealership. I'd much rather take my vehicle, to an independent shop, with a quality reputation. 
FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 10:57pm
I would never take my car to Seattle Mini since in my past experience they lie about what your car needs and they homerun you on the costs. Warranty work/recalls are the only things I would have the stealerships look at.
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
Beno View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/13 at 5:26pm
Today, I took my brand new '13 MCS, to the Seattle Mini. The passenger side wiper, for some reason was no longer wiping the water, away from the window. I couldn't believe that the service writer, wanted and tried to charge me $57 and change, for the replacement wipers. She said, that the warranty guaranteed one set of wipers only after a year. What a shame, that mine failed after only 3 months. I asked to see the manager, and after a nice discussion, he agreed that the wiper had failed and that they should be replaced, under warranty, at zero cost. What Seattle Mini fails to comprehend, is the overall cost to their reputation, which they have invested a fortune to bolster. But for just $57 bucks, they insulted the customer, and came off as cheap. I this case, I will no longer use their services, other than an occasional oil change. If I were asked, where to go to buy a Mini Cooper, I would have to recommend, that they "motor on," south on I-5 to Fife!  
Claywiltre View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claywiltre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/13 at 8:12pm
If you are going to Portland... Northwest Mini is not better...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/13 at 9:05pm
Agreed. This is probably the outcome you would get at any dealer. The manager may have more authority than the first person with whom you spoke, and is empowered to make those decisions with a "big picture" perspective. 

If the first person with whom you spoke did not discuss with you in a professional and accomodating manner, then perhaps the issue lies with that person. I would encourage you to raise those concerns with the manager because everyone who works at any establishment has a stake in ensuring that every customer has a positive experience and accepts the final outcome of the situation. It would be in the organization's best interest to address the issue. 

I am in no way affiliated with Seattle MINI or Northwest MINI. These comments are based on my professional experience and my life experience. 

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/13 at 10:56pm
I've been denied new wiper blades from Northwest Mini because it hadn't been a year yet.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/13 at 11:19pm
Not sure because I don't have a new car, but I would probably just go buy the blades. Not sure if it would be worth my time to take the car to the shop to wait for them to install wiper blades, even if they were giving them away. 

Also - try Rain-X - put it on your windshield and it really helps to see better. It might improve the life of the blades as well. I know in my case I don't have to use the wipers nearly as much as well. 
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 4:25am
Was the $57 just for wiper blades (the rubber part) or for the whole wiper assembly?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 8:52am
I know some people have nothing but good experiences with Seattle MINI, but I've had nothing but bad ones - now the only thing I would use them for is an oil change (if I didn't have the time to drive up to Broadstroke in Snohomish) or an alignment. The only competent people I've ever dealt with in there are two people that worked at the parts desk.
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2004 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
1999 40LE (Mulberry Red) (SOLD)
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 9:31am
Some people have beefs with service, but its important to look at the different departments separately. Sales, parts, finance, managers are great people, and less than positive experiences in service doesn't reflect the dealership as a whole.

Seattle Mini has done quite a lot for their customers with events, prizes, free food. I like to think their reputation is more based on these things.

I think you can buy big packs of wipers at costco for a good price. Itry and only have warranty related maintenance done at dealerships that costs big money without a warranty.
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>