Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

easy methods of chrome blackouts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: easy methods of chrome blackouts?
    Posted: May/29/12 at 10:19pm
I have been looking through the previous forums and saw something about plasti-dip. So I went on google to research farther about covering my chrome (as I think it looks tacky.)   At this point I've been able to get all covered, thanks to outmotoring.com, except for my door handles and hatch handle. I know that paint on chrome doesn't work at all so not sure which I should go with. I saw lot's of blackout mods on here and would like people's opinion please.  Should I do a vinyl wrap or would this plasti-dip work better??
Panda Decepticon mini....ya it's mine.   :)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/12 at 10:57pm
If you can afford it, a wrap is the better option. Aesthetic Creations also used to sell plastic door handle covers, but not sure if they still sell them.

I have a spare set of door handles if you would like to use these for wrap or experimentation... $25 and they are yours...
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/12 at 10:59pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MegaTron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/12 at 4:58pm
on the vinylstyles site how do you buy their products? seems to be a giant photo album and lots of pulldown menus. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/12 at 6:03pm
Ever since Lyle read did that thing it drives me nut, look under the priceing pull down
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/12 at 6:26pm
Email Lyle if you have any problems. He's a nice guy.
MegaTron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/12 at 7:55pm
thanks for the help. I'll shoot him a message and see if I can get my mini where I want before the rally in june.   :)
Twiggles85 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/12 at 10:07am
I was able to plasti-dip my gas cap and side scuttles after some pretty aggressive scoring with sand paper and a couple coats of spray on plasti-dip.  Not sure how well it'll work on something more high traffic like a door handle but it's held up well on the gas cap.
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/12 at 6:59pm
To make the plastidip more durable, you can shoot it with some clear coat. 
Another option is truck bed liner. This will peel off unless you really prepare the surface like mentioned above (rough grit sandpaper) and a coat of primer, but it dries hard and is a lot more durable than plastidip. 

I have a spare set of door handles if you would like to use for either practice or as a spare set if you ever want to take the car back to stock... they are worth something like $25. 

MegaTron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/12 at 8:43pm
I was able to get vinyl covers for most of my chrome. All I got left is my headlight rings and all 3 handles. How hard is the install/swap of the door handles?? I may wanna buy the set off you to blackout that way if I have to sell the car I put OEM handles back on. One reason why I went with vinyls instead of paint.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/12 at 11:47pm
I haven't done it myself but here are some clues as to how to do it: 

Doesn't look too hard, but you might need to buy a tool for that narrow space... 
Don't try to pry off the soft padding on a 04 or earlier. It's held on by small torx screws -- and you don't need to remove the padding to remove the inner door shell. 

Edited by CORNERS - June/22/12 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply