Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Drive / Events Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinalGear.com Cascade Loop drive - Event Date: August/11/12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/12 at 11:14pm
This is tomorrow (Saturday)? 
I might be up for a drive if I can convince the kids. 
Maybe meet you at Redmond Town Center if I can't get things sorted out early enough in the morning. 
Don't wait up for me. I may not show. 25% chance of going at this point. 

no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/12 at 11:18pm
Right on, if you make it, the group wants to leave by 10am from the town center Clap
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
marantz2010 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marantz2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/12 at 1:19am
Sounds good to go. Drive safe everyone! (I might want to challenge the Viper to a race lol)
'04 R53 JCW Pepper White w/ Black Top & Black Stripes | Mods: 17% Pulley, Resonator Delete, M7 Strut Tower Bar, MSD Ignition Coil
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/12 at 7:26pm
I didn't mean to, or expect a base Cooper to lead the whole dang group Tongue
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/12 at 8:07pm
If you know how to drive and there are enough corners, the base Cooper can hang with anything.

I've seen Coopers with very good drivers at the wheel just blow the spanking pants off everything in sight. Very good man! Wish I could have gone but woke up to some work.
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/12 at 9:08pm
I wish it was because of my driving prowess Tongue the overall speed of the group seemed low to me. I never intentionally went more than 70mph and had to slow down to see headlights again in the mirror twice.
I haven't been on a racetrack since 2005 but I did learn from the Team Seattle 24 Hour Enduro team BowDown
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marantz2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/12 at 11:08pm
Overall pace of the group was pretty poor. I ended up talking to Joel and went off on my own ahead so I could go my own pace--best part of the trip! :)
'04 R53 JCW Pepper White w/ Black Top & Black Stripes | Mods: 17% Pulley, Resonator Delete, M7 Strut Tower Bar, MSD Ignition Coil
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/12 at 12:07am
Right on Clap

Joel's a cool guy, I've known him for a few years.
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/12 at 9:20pm

Cool guys have Minis.. 
One had a blue Vette..

Everyone else.. meh..

It was a bit boring and I dunno if i like too many brands all together. 

Ste
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/12 at 9:22pm
Sorry, I ended up not going either. I couldn't get a family consensus in time.
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/12 at 11:38pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the drive was boring. It was not at all what I expected ... to me, Top Gear = fun, not putzing around the mountains at -exactly- the speed limit  Tongue

As for the diversity, I was cool with that. a Jeep, BR-Z, minis, a tdi vw, viper, corvette, etc., cool mix.

We should have exchanged #s between the 3 of us, I kept wishing you guys would pass everyone and catch me!!
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marantz2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 10:26am
Yeah, I won't be doing any rides with FinalGear anymore. I wish I got the Z06's number cuz he was a cool guy and seemed like a cool guy to go on rides with later on.

As for keeping up, I thought it was generally not allowed to pass the leader, so that's why I didn't do any crazy passes to catch up!
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 11:29am
I'll play a little "looking at the other side of the coin here" as well as throw in some of my personal experiences from rallying with large groups over the years.

1: The leader must do the speed limit. I'm sorry but, these are public roads and a rally where you don't know everyone personally and cannot agree mutually to break the law only allows for the leader to do the speed limit. It's generally why I personally am not a fan of runs that are mostly highway. You really have to understand you are signing up for a Sunday drive. Now, a group of friends that can all agree on a pace before setting out... I can't comment much further than that ;)

2: If you pass the leader because you are unhappy with anything then at that point you should consider yourself no longer part of the organized rally. This now means you should not interfere with the rally you just left by making it clear you are leaving the really (announce on the radio, turn off your lights, whatever you can do) so people don't follow you thinking the rally pace just increased. Additionally, if you don't exit and clearly move yourself from the rally get ready to impromptly start leading a new rally. There are probably others in the rally having the same thoughts as you and they are just looking for a leader to break from the pack. If you are that leader they will follow you.

I have some other thoughts here as well but I may PM you guys individually. Besides all that.. did anyone record the route and how was the route itself? Easy to stay with everyone? Traffic? Roads good.. etc?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 1:25pm
I'll second what Ryan said.

Plus, Im not unhappy because how slow we were driving, I'm only saying that the drive itself was seriously boring. I went to different PSmini events and none of them were nearly as boring as this one. 

Stefano

2013 GP

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

Plus, Im not unhappy because how slow we were driving, I'm only saying that the drive itself was seriously boring. I went to different PSmini events and none of them were nearly as boring as this one. 

Stefano

It's not easy to design a good drive. It's incredibly complex and time consuming. If you've ever been on a "good" drive/rally that you really enjoyed make sure you thank the individuals who organized it more than once.
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 2:20pm
I'm not exactly following the points here. This wasn't a time/distance thing, just a group of car enthusiasts driving for the fun of it. I've been doing large group drives for the better part of a decade now, this was right up there with serious/bore-fest drives I've seen for sure. We had our agreed pace, I went it and still left everyone behind. I certainly didn't pass to be considered "out of the rally/group" you know?

As for the route, the Cascade Loop is really scenic, has great roads that are in decent to great shape. I never get tired of Hwy 2.

<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/12 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

Stefano

It's not easy to design a good drive. It's incredibly complex and time consuming. If you've ever been on a "good" drive/rally that you really enjoyed make sure you thank the individuals who organized it more than once.

We always do!:)

2013 GP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12