Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Generation Key Refurib

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Generation Key Refurib
    Posted: May/08/10 at 8:46am
For those of you who have an early model ('02-'05) the buttons on your remote key might be looking pretty worn out by now.  I had an extreme case of that, and here is how I fixed it.  My original key had black unlock and lock buttons, and they started cracking about a year after I got my car. 

The unlock button is bigger, and eventually collapsed into the key.  I don't have a picture of that, but the above picture is of after I took all of the rubber stuff off so I could get my fingers into the key and push the tiny buttons on the circuit board.  If your key looks anything like the above picture, stop right now, open the key with a screwdriver at the attaching end, pull the circuit board out and put it in a safe place.  I eventually knocked the unlock button apart but was able to save all the tiny pieces and put it back together again.  That was delicate, jewelers work and knocking the button apart almost ruined a perfectly working key.  Don't let it happen to you. 

Here's the key without the circuit board.  It will still work, you just have to unlock and lock manually.

While searching on eBay for a MINI for Stacie, I came across several auctions for key shells.  Just what I needed!  I ordered from a seller named "artiway" and the above is a picture from his auction to help you identify it.  It was $24 shipping included from Taiwan- what a deal.  I don't believe just the case is available from any MINI dealer, but haven't confirmed that.  Besides, it's cool to get mail from China.  I had to go to the Post Office to sign for it as I was not home when it was first delivered.

Here's the new key as it was shipped.

And a view of it opened.  The rectangular thing on the side on the left is for the theft protection sensor.  Along with the circuit board, you will have to gently pry that out with a tiny screwdriver and put it in the new key.  Without it, the new key won't start your car.  It has to be in the key- holding it next to the ignition as you are trying to start the car won't work!

Old key and new case together.  Although the new case has the chrome unlock button, it is functionally identical.

I tried to drill through the other side of the key to be able to punch the roll pin out.  The plastic is softer than I thought and it kind of melted instead.

So I used a sharp knife to cut away the plastic around the pin.  A box cutter or Stanley 99E carpet knife should do well.

Pulled apart!  It was easy to push the roll pin out of the key blade.  It's tiny, so don't lose it as you will need it to put the blade in the new key.

Here's a bad picture of me using a shop vice to push the roll pin into the new key.  I would recommend a correctly sized punch and a hammer; either way be gentle here.  The angle of the case makes it hard to hold the key and punch the pin in.

Yay! My new key!  Again, be gentle but firm when putting the halves of the key together.  They fit very tightly as they are new.  Pay attention to the circuit board so it does not ride up and get smashed between the halves of the key.  As long as it is out you might want to renew the battery.

Common household tools (mostly) saved me the price of a new key.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Bruce

Edited by valvashon - February/11/12 at 1:56pm
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/10 at 9:24am
Wow Bruce ...
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
'13 R60 All4 Oxford Green - HERS
'80 Rover Mini MkVII-EngWh-OURS (really mine!)
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/10 at 2:29pm
Thanks Bruce - good information to have availabe - Now, what about 06's and later....       Wink
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/10 at 7:25pm

Holy toledo Batman Bruce!!  Your step by step process is very well done!  I'm impressed with the "How-to" explanation along with the very descriptive photos.  Kudos! Clap 

If you need a prop key for an '06 MCS, let me know as I may be able to provide you a key sometime in the future.  Wink
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/10 at 8:28pm
Maybe I should post this on NAM too.  It was an afterthought to start taking pictures, and I almost didn't bother to post it.  I didn't have the $200 or so for a new key, and didn't want to spend that anyway when I had most of the components of a perfectly working key already.  I'm going to have to (and would rather) spend that on a door lock solenoid.   I know the later model keys look different- maybe they got a redesign so the buttons are less inclined to fall apart.  I don't see the case of the newer style key on eBay, so maybe they don't fall apart.  I'd be happy to repair any other club member's first generation key if they don't feel handy enough to do so.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/10 at 11:18pm
Bruce - after looking at what is involved, that is a very generous offer. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Post Reply Post Reply