Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flashing air pressure light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryandthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flashing air pressure light
    Posted: March/24/09 at 1:51am
Driving this morning my tire pressue light started blinking. I pulled over to inspect my tires and everything looked fine. I then drove to the next exit and checked tire pressure and all were over 40 psi. That seemed a bit high. Does the light come on at high pressure?

I have a 2002 MCS.

Bryan
Zippy View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 4:18am
Bryan -
The light is not actually triggered by pressure but by a difference in rotation speed among the wheels. The system uses the ABS sensors to read wheel speed. If a tire is low it will rotate at a different speed than the others. 40 psi is high, should be 35 but if they are all the same pressure with the same mileage on them it should not trigger the light. If you spin the tires a bit much it can trigger the light as well.
Check the pressure and reset the light, button by the e-brake handle. I cant remember if you push it and hold it while turning the key to on, with out starting or what, but the owners manual tells you how to do it.

Here's a few links to look at....

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadID=33375&tstart=15

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/30335-tire-pressure-light-keeps-flashing.html

Good luck!

06 MCS Royal Gray, MINI Fini Sportlink - Mostly Harmless
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 4:23am
No it comes on when the rotational diameter has changed. Hence if the tire pressure changes the rolling diameter changes. I am not sure to what extent it is linked to the ABS just that it works with the braking system. The new Gen 2 Minis have a pressure sensor mounted inside of the tire that reads pressure.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

bryandthomas View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryandthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 6:46am
Huh.  Okay well they are all the same tire and I know for a fact they were all put on at the same time since i have the receipt from the previous owner purchasing them.

So it could just be electrical gremlins or I could need a new CV joint...great.  I reset it and I guess I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Bryan
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 7:52am
My tire light goes on every time I swap my racing tires with my regular or winter tires. I just reset it and go my merry way. I always check the pressure when I mount the tires but they have enough difference somewhere to trigger the alarm.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 8:28am
Just some thoughts I would guess you are running stock rims so using eccentrics would not be an issue I am guessing.   You did not say anything about vibration so I would think we could rule out a bent rim. The only other thing for me during the winter mine goes off sometes when I get snow build up.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 11:23am
I get the tire pressure light and/or ABS light with wheelspin.  It used to take a bunch of wheelspin, but now just a little bit will do it.  The book says wheelspin with limited slip will confuse the computer into thinking there is a rotational difference.  Can't figure out what the heck is going on with the ABS.

Think back - get a little spin going around a corner, or punch it in second on the wet onramp??

Restart the car - all lights off.

My car..?  Methinks the car may be haunted buy the ghosts of tires past...

Edited by onramp - March/24/09 at 11:25am
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
bryandthomas View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryandthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 12:48pm
That's actually reassuring.  The car came with a quaife limited slip diff and I was driving in the wet so that could be the cause of the light.

Thanks

Bryan
Baxter View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/09 at 1:43pm
I have had mine go off in large amounts of rain / wet roads as well... 3 times actually where the tires have been fine...
Formerly known as a MINI owner... But no longer... Now I am just a lurker
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/09 at 3:24am
My light has never flashed, but it did come on a couple of weeks ago.  No rain or snow or spinning wheels.  I pulled off into a level parking lot and inspected the tires.  They all looked the same, so I reset the light and went on my way.  Nearing home, I pulled into a gas station to put a gauge on the tires, and while one was a single psi lower than the others, no sign of a problem.  A few years ago (actually three years and two months ago, as it was our wedding day Smile), the light came on and the tires all showed the same psi that time, too.  The next morning, one tire was flat.  How does that work?  The system is so smart, it knows?

Edited by RickB - June/03/09 at 3:25am
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Montster View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/09 at 10:28am
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

My car..?  Methinks the car may be haunted buy the ghosts of tires past...
 haha Love it
Monte and Paige 07 MCS DKS,All pkgs, 6spd Alta CAI 19mm swaybar
 Post Reply Post Reply