Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Site Information and Feedback > Site Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Upgrade
    Posted: July/11/11 at 9:41pm
FYI, we are planning to upgrade the website's forum software on Tuesday, July 12.  The site may be temporarily unavailable and you may see some unusual behavior from the forums.  I apologize for any temporary weirdness but this upgrade will provide us with additional capabilities to manage the forums.  Thank you for your patience.

--Roy

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 5:37pm
So, we have a working chat room???
And a SHARE button - that I have no idea what function it performs - just a lot of icons???
Thanks Roy - Anything else we should know about???
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 9:20pm
The forum upgrade is complete.  Yes, we do now have a chat room!

Here is the complete list of features in this release:

Web Wiz Forums version 10 has been in development for over 3 years.  Here are a few features and enhancements of our award winning Forum Web Application:

• Chat Room - Your members can chat in real time using the new AJAX Based Chat Room.
  • Topic Rating - Your members can rate topics with a 1 to 5 star rating.
  • Post Thanking - Your Members can 'Thank' other members for their posts.
  • Points System - Replaces post count by setting how many points members can receive for New Topics, Replies, being Thanked and more.
  • Social Networking - Facebook Like, Twitter Tweet, Google +1 and improved Topic Sharing.
  • Mobile Optimised View - Improvements to Mobile Optimised view.
  • Member Profiles - Improved member profiles with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more.
  • Registration - Registration Improvements including customisable registration form.
  • Private Messaging - Improvements to Private Messaging including Outbox, Full Inbox Alert, Full Inbox Actions.
  • Image Upload Resizing - Automatically resizes uploaded images over a configurable size.
  • SPAM Filter - New Configurable SPAM Filter with configurable actions to take when SPAM is detected.
  • User and Group Settings - New User and Group settings including disabling Signatures, Links, Images, Private Messaging.
  • Forum Ads - Support for 3rd Party Ads including VigLink, AdSense and others.
  • External URL's - Create External Links that are displayed on the Forum Index page in the list of Forums.
  • Answer/Resolution Posts - Admins and Moderators can set sticky Posts that are the Answer, Resolution, or Official Response to a question poised in Forums.
  • Ladder Groups - Support added for Multiple Member Ladder Groups.
  • [HIDE] BBcode - Hides message content till the member replies in the Topic.
  • Improved SEO - Lots of improvements for Search Engine Optimising and configuration.
  • Google Analytics - Built in support for Google Analytics.
  • Forum Statistics - Improved forum statistics including most active users.
  • Custom Header and Footers - These can now be configured from the Forum Admin Area for both desktop and mobile views.
  • Custom Registration Rules - Create Custom Registration Rules from the Forum Admin Area.
  • Security Improvements - Password complexity requirements , incorrect login settings, new error handling, and more.
  • Search Improvements - The admin can now set the default search age for searches.
  • FURL's - Improvements to Friendly URL's.
  • Plus many more new features and improvements.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 9:54pm
OK - I'm impressed - and the upgrade was completly transperent to us - Way to go Roy!
Jack -

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/11 at 5:52am
Wow, a very big list of upgrades!  KudosThumbs Up  I already found that you can delete the OUTBOX regardless of whether the recipient has deleted the message that you sent.

Thanks Roy for all your work.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/11 at 6:15pm
Great job, Roy!  
Not too sure about the Topic Rating . . . I'd hate to get a thumbs down or minus stars on my topic!  LOL
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/11 at 9:25am
Thanks.  Be sure to check out what I think is the best feature, the "Latest Forum Posts" section.  You can find it at the bottom of the main forum page.  It's a convenient way to see all the latest posts.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 6:58am

I tried to upload a 700K picture and it didn't resize so was rejected.  Should it have resized?

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 7:01am
As far as I know this is a Forum that does NOT provide an automatic resizing feature, which is a real PITA!  Like what is a "Configurable size"?  If I try to use a 4mb photo can it scale it down to be optimal for this Forum?  Not in the past but I have not tried it lately.

If you want to show photos you need to Post a web site link to your own photos, like Picasa, etc.

For example:  http://www.mini4fun.info/Penticton_2010/The_Trip_to_Penticton_%26_The_Car_Show.html

mini4fun.info is the root web site and has variations from it.

S.

update test for photo insertion:  I could not upload a file size larger than 400K without resizing the photo first.....

Edited by SMOG - July/18/11 at 7:44am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 7:36am
I have a folder on my hard drive called "Photos For Upload".  I export files from Picasa directly to that folder, downsizing in the exporting process.  On the forum post I browse that folder and find the picture I want to upload.  Clicking OK puts that picture in my PSMINI Forum Picture folder.  Fairly simple operation - also works from Photoshop Elements.
Jack -

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 7:47am
Yep, you still have to "Resize" your photos with an external program.  There are other Forums that don't require it; I wonder how they(those Forums) do it???

S.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 8:00am
Picasa and other external programs do give you a couple of choices when downsizing - Ie. choosing the "quality" and doing your own cropping. Still, it would be convinent to ba able to do a quick upload in a single step.
Jack -

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 8:12am
A big +1 to that thought!

S.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 8:41am
I asked because that was a feature noted above for the new software.

So should it resize or not?  I don't use Picasa or the other stuff so need an easy way to downsize.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 10:09am
Rob - Try Piacssa!  It is free and works well
Jack -

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 10:13am
Yes, of course I could but then of course I might not.  Not crazy about cloud stuff (professional bias).  It would be mucho more better to have the forum auto resize.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 11:02am
Rob - No cloud involved - I run everything from my hard disk and that is where the photo files stay - including the ones I resize for uploading to PSMINI.
Jack -

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

I asked because that was a feature noted above for the new software.

So should it resize or not?  I don't use Picasa or the other stuff so need an easy way to downsize.

Don't know if this will work in your situation, but I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager that's already on my computer (I have XP).  I have never had a problem with this, and it couldn't be easier. Works on a photo in a folder or on the desktop.

Don't open the picture, just Right Click on the Icon of the picture.  From the menu, select Resize Pictures.  It offers 4 sizes (it gives the dimensions). Select a size and OK.

I usually select Small, but I have posted Medium on PSMINI as well. I also do this when e-mailing pix.

You retain the original picture in its original size. A new picture is created in the new size (size indicated on file name of picture).

Hope that helps!  Big smile

Edited by Genie B - July/18/11 at 11:50am
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 9:05pm
Well, at least in theory, it's supposed to resize them for you (which I agree will be a nice upgrade).  Obviously something's not quite right.  I'll mention it to Roy and have him check in with tech support.  May be just a minor tweak.  Thanks for reporting it!!
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/11 at 11:40pm
I have been having an issue with the forum. It won't remember my login, even if I check the "remember me" checkbox. 
Also, every time I log back in (because it logs me out), when I go to "New Posts", it says "no new posts since (the current time)" instead of showing me posts since my last login. 

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? 
I'm using Mac OS, Safari browser. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 5:39am
Kurt:

I too have had trouble about being "remembered" when I go to the Post that I am following from my email and then try to reply to that Post on the forum it does not recognize me.  If I got to the web site by itself it does recognize me and then I can get to the Post from there and it will allow me to reply without another log on.

I thought I was alone in this problem and it was something I did, but apparently not.

Mac OS, Firefox browser.

Stephen

Edited by SMOG - July/19/11 at 5:41am
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:34am
Do you have any cookie blocking in place?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:42am
Rob:  I have it set to accept Cookies from PSMINI.ORG and all sites I visit.

S.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:44am
What about security sortware that might block cookies? 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:45am
Since it is a Mac I do not have additional Security Software.

If the browser is already running and I go to a Thread from email it works fine, but if I launch the browser from the email it does not.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:46am
The other thing I would do is clear your temporary internet files (cache).  Not sure how it works in those browsers but you could be loading an old page rather than a refresh.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 6:49am
It is set to "Clear Cache" when closing the browser.

S.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 7:17am
Maybe MINI's and Mac's don't play well together.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 7:27am
I suppose there is a possibility of that since the i-Pod Adapter/Sound System/i-Pod Setting wants to dump the settings back into the Radio Mode when I shut off the car!  Oh well.....

The Forum glitch possibilities are endless and it does not bother me that it does not always work.  I just launch the browser first.  The only reason I mentioned it was that Kurt brought it up first.

S.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/11 at 7:39am

One more quesition.  Is it possible that your Clear Cache on close also clears cookies?  (Can you tell I run a helpdesk?)

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>