Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dreaded "Chewbacca"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TravisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dreaded "Chewbacca"
    Posted: May/15/13 at 3:58pm
I have a 2006 JCW that I purchased used about a month ago with 48,000 miles.  Just a few days ago it started making what I guess is known to be the Chewbacca noise which is a kind of metallic moaning noise when I pull off from a complete stop in 1st gear.  The noise only happens in 1st gear and only the first few times I start from a full stop and then it goes away so it seems to be something that happens when the car is cold.

From what I have read in my research the past couple of days, this seems to be a fairly common issue caused by the flywheel and, if I want to get rid of it, would need the entire clutch replaced.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they got it fixed and where.  I see recommendations for ZahnTech and Broadstroke Associates.  Both of those shops are pretty close to me thankfully.  From what I have read it isn't something that is damaging to the car and is more of an annoyance.

I love this car and want to take good care of it so if the clutch needs replacing I'll pony up the dough but I figured I'd ask here if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance!

Travis
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/13 at 5:05pm
I think I have the same type of noise not sure why it was there I don’t think it is hurting anything I heard it at 55k when I got slyderone and still there at 105K not every day and I can’t seem to figure what is causing it rain, dry, hot, or cold it is what it is shows up when it wants.
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/13 at 7:29am
Started on my R53 at around 40-50K miles...only when cold and first time or two pulling away in 1st gear. Yes, it's just a flywheel glazing issue..anyoying yes, trouble no. I'd just wait till you need to replace your clutch as it will cost a pretty penny to pull all of that apart anyway.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/13 at 7:47am
Ours started at about 50K, first couple of starts then disappears. At about 75K the pedal felt stiffer due to some nylon bushing issues that are common. Today at 125K it's still the same and no issues with clutch slippage. I know others with over 150K on the original clutch so you may have some miles left on your clutch. Welcome to the club.

Coll
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/13 at 8:32am
Mine started quite a bit earlier mileage wise but Alice doesn't get driven a lot.  Does it exactly like everyone else has posted.  Mostly when the weather is damp and only on the first few launches.  Been doing it for years.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
KnottyMan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnottyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/13 at 9:02am
Due to how prevalent this issue is/was, I had NW Mini fix this under warranty.  While they were in there they recommended a new clutch so I basically only have to pay for the part.

You might be able to get either Seattle Mini to cover this since your mileage is low enough, but they might balk due to out of warranty based on year.  Worth a shot?
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/13 at 9:12am
Not for me.  While the mileage is low, the age (like my own) is not.  She was built in 11/02.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 7:24pm
Mine started at about 60,000mi,  then it got more frequent and each groan loooooonger in duration, until it was every time I moved away from a stop, and with a stiffer pedal.  I had the clutch replaced, including the fancy, dual-mass flywheel at 90,000mi.  I generally baby my car, and would have expected the clutch to last longer than 90k, but that's apparently about par for the course.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/13 at 10:48am
I think this is the dual mass flywheel that is making the noise. Mine does it too. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting erratic application of power on acceleration. 
 Post Reply Post Reply