Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > PSMINI Events and Drives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2013 Twists & Turns Rally (July 20) - Event Date: July/20/13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/13 at 3:25pm
I am in!!  One question about my navigator however, does he have to speak English or be able to actually navigate?

My past exchange student's brother will be in town visiting... Will this work or do I need to recruit someone else? Sadly, my usual co-pilot Mike will be out of town for this one.
Drive
Ruby- 2012 Clubman, Chili Red. Plate "MINIR55"
Abbey- 2011 S Coupe, Eclipse Gray Metallic. Plate "DWNSIZD"
Dory- 2009 S Convertible, Lightening Blue Metallic, Plate "ACTLSZ"
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/13 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by goddess goddess wrote:

I am in!!  One question about my navigator however, does he have to speak English or be able to actually navigate?

My past exchange student's brother will be in town visiting... Will this work or do I need to recruit someone else? Sadly, my usual co-pilot Mike will be out of town for this one.

Drive

Using the definition of "speak", no you do not have to speak English. Read English yes as the directions, route sheet, clues, and answers to those clues are all in English. I know some languages are harder/easier to read vs. speak and since English is my only language I have no idea what category it falls into.

OK, after saying all of that, since this is a trivia rally and the route itself is part of the fun you may run into issues depending on how fluent your exchange student's brother is with reading English (especially American street signs) and/or how easily it would be for you to explain some of the areas that are not so clear. It may very well turn out to be a great learning experience or it could turn into a ball of confusion.

A "help me" envelope will be provided at the start. It has detailed instructions and phone numbers if things go really sideways and we can get you back on-track or at least to the ending point for a cool root beer at the XXX.

Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/13 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by TimS TimS wrote:

New Mini owner and new to the club. This sounds like fun. So, I just bring the form next Saturday?

Yep, there's a list of items to bring in the first post, and you'll want be at the starting point in time to sign in before the driver's meeting. Especially important this year is the clip board (Roy's redesigned the instructions and score card to speed up scoring this year) and writing instrument (or, if you're like me... two. They have a habit of flinging out the window at inopportune moments when the crazy driver takes that curve too enthusiastically!)
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/13 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by goddess goddess wrote:

I agree with Ryan, it depends a lot on how well he can read English, and how well you understand him. The clues are mostly looking for hard-to-spot signs, which help confirm you're on track on route, but not crucial to getting to the end point and having a good time. The route instructions (turn right at the third opportunity) you need him to read to you, but you'll be as involved as he is in interpreting them (knowing that a "dead end" or "private road" don't count as an "opportunity"). We'll cover those sorts of things in the driver's meeting, and we've got a list of key basic rules you'll have with you in your car as a reminder for those moments when you get confused or feel lost.

I hope you'll come - it can be a crazy, fun event and probably something unique for him to experience. Hope to see you on Saturday morning!
Roy & Beth Morey
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/13 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by TimS TimS wrote:

New Mini owner and new to the club. This sounds like fun. So, I just bring the form next Saturday?

Yep, and the form has a handy checklist of things to bring.  Also, don't forget you need a navigator/copilot with you.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Mike & Cheryl View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike & Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/13 at 8:51pm
Looking forward to the fun and meeting new friends. It is true when you buy a Mini your not buying a car your getting a new member of the family and it comes with friends
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 12:01am

Hey everyone, in preparation for the upcoming rally, I thought it would be fun and helpful to do a virtual online “practice run”.  Each day I will a post diagram of a tricky intersection and the corresponding rally instruction, and then it will be up to you to figure out which direction you would go.  I’m calling it the “Rallymaster’s Question-of-the-Day”.  Email me your answer and how you came by it, and send it to webmaster@psmini.org.  From the set of correct answers I receive each day, one winner will be randomly selected to receive a $5 Starbucks gift card for getting the right answer!  It’s that easy!  I will post a new question and the answer to the previous day’s question here on this thread each day for the next several days leading up to the rally.

To get things started, here is an excerpt from the rally rules for your reference.  This information will help you get the right answers.

Interpreting Route Instructions

You will be provided with a set of route instructions which describe how to navigate the rally course.  It is important that you follow the instructions carefully to avoid getting off course, or possibly getting lost.  The following rules will help you navigate the course correctly:

1.       Turns are indicated in one of six directions: left, right, bear left, bear right, acute/sharp left, acute/sharp right.

2.       Statements enclosed in parenthesis are not part of the route instructions, and may be considered optional.  Any locations referenced in parenthesis are not action points.

3.       All rally course roads are public through streets unless otherwise noted.

4.       Avoid travelling on prohibited roads at all times unless otherwise directed.  These roads will not be considered opportunities or counted to identify the rally course.  You may be forced to change direction to avoid a prohibited road, but if a selection of turns is possible, an instruction will be given.  The following types of roads are considered prohibited:

a.       Any road marked “Dead End”, “No Outlet”, “Private”, “Do Not Enter” or “Road Closed”.

b.      Any private driveway or entrance, business entrance or parking lot entrance (except when explicitly instructed).

5.       In absence of a route instruction, always follow the obvious continuation of the road you are on – unless an instruction specifically directs otherwise.  This is known as following the Principal Road.  At each intersection where an instruction to turn does not apply, continue along the principal road.  Note that a principal road may bend in a new direction and/or change names.  Use an instruction to turn only when its execution would indicate travel in a direction you would not have otherwise taken.

6.       Occasionally an instruction will be provided to clarify the route or provide confirmation that you are on course.  Such instructions are marked MBCU or REF accordingly.  (See table below for definitions.)

7.       For the purposes of this rally, a roundabout/traffic circle is treated as a normal intersection.  Therefore, in a typical four-way roundabout, exiting the circle via the first exit is equivalent to a right-hand turn, the second exit is equivalent to going straight (and may be considered an unnecessary instruction), and the third exit is equivalent to a left-hand turn.

Abbreviations and Definitions

Action Point

The physical location where an instruction is to be executed.

L, R,
LEFT, RIGHT

Left, Right.  A change in direction from the principal road from 10 to 179 degrees.

AL, AR,
Acute L/R

Acute Left, Acute Right.  A change in direction from the principal road that is clearly more than 90 degrees.

BL, BR,

Bear L/R

Bear Left, Bear Right.  A change in direction from the principal road that is clearly less than 90 degrees.

DNF

Did Not Finish.  A vehicle which fails to turn in a score card at the end of the rally.

KL, KR

Keep Left, Keep Right

MBCU

May Be Considered Unnecessary

OPP

Opportunity

REF

Reference – A sign, object or landmark that serves as an action point for a Route Instruction.

RI

Route Instruction

RXR

Railroad crossing

S, STRAIGHT

Straight as possible

STOP

A legal stop sign applicable to your path of travel

T or Tee

A junction of roads in the general shape of the letter “T”. It is approached from the stem of the T and offers only the choice of a right or left turn. You cannot go straight at a T. While the two turns possible at the T may not both be equal to 90 degrees, the smaller angle as measured from the stem of the T must be clearly more than 60 degrees.

Light,
Traffic light, Traffic signal

A legally binding signal light controlling traffic on your course composed of red, yellow

(sometimes omitted), and green lights. It may be set for sequential operation or it

may be blinking. All lights at a given intersection shall be counted as one signal.

Y

Where the road splits into two roads

YIELD

A legal yield sign applicable to your path of travel

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 12:13am

Rallymaster’s Question-of-the-Day

Let’s start off with a fairly easy question.  Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

R at first OPP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to webmaster@psmini.org for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Check back here tomorrow to see the correct answer, and the next question.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 12:31am
I'm gonna try to make this one. Need to ask permission to my new boss Lorenzo;) and find a navigator.
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
ResQ176 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ResQ176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 1:53am
I think I asked this question earlier, but maybe put it in the wrong thread? I was just curious if you had to be part of the club to be part of the rally? If so, could I join the morning of? I'm really excited about the rally, as I haven't been able to do anything cool with my new Mini...

And if I don't need to be part of the club... (I'm going to join soon), then please consider this my RSVP. :-)

Thank you, and I'm really excited to meet fellow motorers and beat that time!

R/

Jimmy
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 6:28am
You are welcome to come! No need to be a paid member to join any of the events! JUST COME! :))
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 10:57am
Jimmy, you are absolutely welcome to attend, and I have added you to the attendee list.  I don't believe that PSMINI has ever had an event where membership was required.  Especially for new people, we expect them to come out and try an event or two first.  We think the club is so good you will want to join because you want to support a good thing.  For 9 years so far that model has served the club well.

Occasionally, an event will require a fee to cover expenses, but a lot of events, like this one, are free to attend.  Obviously, we hope you will chose to join the club after an event or two, but it's certainly not an upfront requirement.

So, welcome!  We look forward to seeing you next Saturday.

P.S. - For clarity, this rally event is not a timed event, and it is not a race.  The most important element is to stay on-course and come out with the correct distance/mileage.  Time is only used as a tie-breaker, and it wasn't needed last year, but I promise there are plenty of fun roads.

Edited by Roy - July/13/13 at 11:03am
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 11:04am
Unfortunately, we have to back out of this one. Have fun and post pictures!
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

ResQ176 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ResQ176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 12:26pm
Awesome. Thank you! I will be there and will have my navigator with me!

P. S. I know it's not a race... Just poking fun. (unless someone wants to do it for pinks...) ;-) (just kidding again... Melinda is financed. Haha.)

Until Saturday,

Jimmy
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/13 at 10:42pm

The correct answer to Friday's question (above) is D.  Out of the eight correct answers I received, "Debster" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Debbie! 

Okay here's another fairly easy one.  The questions will get harder as we get closer to the rally.
Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

R at the second OPP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to webmaster@psmini.org for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/13 at 10:28pm

The correct answer to Saturday's question (above) is D.  Out of the seven correct answers I received, "CORNERS" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Kurt! 

Okay, here's a tougher question.  Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

L at STOP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to webmaster@psmini.org for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
goddess View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/13 at 1:13pm

It looks like I may have to sit (park) this one out. After reading the replies to my previous post regarding my navigators English skills, it may not work out so well. His English is very VERY limited.

I'll be there be in spirit. Motor-On my friends!!
Ruby- 2012 Clubman, Chili Red. Plate "MINIR55"
Abbey- 2011 S Coupe, Eclipse Gray Metallic. Plate "DWNSIZD"
Dory- 2009 S Convertible, Lightening Blue Metallic, Plate "ACTLSZ"
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/13 at 5:21pm
That's understandable.  You need a good navigator for this rally.

You two are certainly welcome to join us for lunch.  People should be arriving at the Triple XXX Root Beer Drive-In around 12:30.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/13 at 7:51am

The correct answer to the previous question (above) is D.  Only apply an instruction when it is applicable.  A left at the first STOP would violate the rule to avoid prohibited roads.  You may be forced to change direction to avoid a prohibited road, but if a selection of turns is possible, an instruction will be given.  No instruction was provided to turn right at the first STOP, because a right turn was your only option.  Therefore, your first opportunity to turn "L at STOP" is option D.

Out of the six correct answers I received, "Sixate" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Bryan! 

Next question, given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

L at roundabout.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/13 at 7:28pm
I think the real question is, how many times should you circle the roundabout before exiting in the intended direction? 

Drive

Oh ... wait ... I guess that might mess with your official mileage..... unless you think the rally master did it too??
Roy & Beth Morey
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 9:13am

The correct answer to the previous question (above) is C.  Roundabouts are treated the same as regular intersections.

Out of the eight correct answers I received, Julie H. is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Julie! 

Okay, now for something different.  Which of the following instruction(s) may be considered unnecessary to get the MINI from the starting point at bottom to the destination (starred) at top?

1) Straight at roundabout.
2) R at STOP.
3) L at first OPP.
4) Bear R at fork.

Send the number(s) of the unnecessary instruction(s) to webmaster@psmini.org for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Check back here tomorrow to see the correct answer.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
BlueBuggy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 10:04am
I'm a new PSMini Member as of two minutes ago, But I plan to attend this event. Sounds like a lot of fun!

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Escape Pod Escape Pod wrote:

I think the real question is, how many times should you circle the roundabout before exiting in the intended direction? 

Drive

Oh ... wait ... I guess that might mess with your official mileage..... unless you think the rally master did it too??

This. This is very funny =)

Who can't resist a couple times around an empty roundabout in a MINI!?!
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 2:24pm
In the diagram for the instruction "Left at Roundabout" - What would you do if the instruction you are working on said "Right at Second Opportunity" and you had not encountered any other opportunities to turn right?   WHY?

Edited by CINIMIN - July/17/13 at 2:26pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

In the diagram for the instruction "Left at Roundabout" - What would you do if the instruction you are working on said "Right at Second Opportunity" and you had not encountered any other opportunities to turn right?   WHY?

I suppose that would be the same as "Go Straight"? 
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 9:12pm

The answer to the last question was 1 & 3.  Instruction 1 is unnecessary, because proceeding straight though an intersection is assumed as part of following the "principal road".  Instruction 3 is unnecessary because turning left to avoid a private road is your only option for moving forward.

Out of the two correct answers I received,  Sue G is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card. Congratulations, Sue!

That is the last of the rally questions.  Thanks everyone for playing along.  Hopefully, this has been good practice for everyone.

We will deliver the Starbucks gift cards to the winners at the rally.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Mike & Cheryl View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike & Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 9:36pm
Bummer this was a great game. Thanks for setting it up!
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 9:42pm
Still looking for a correct answer to my question...

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

ResQ176 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ResQ176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 10:06pm
Congratulations to all who answered correctly and won their gift cards!

See you Saturday

Edited by ResQ176 - July/17/13 at 10:32pm
08 DS/DS, Chrome in/out, Chrome mirrors, bad timing chain guide.
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/13 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Good question. Roundabouts are treated as regular intersections. Therefore, the roundabout in the diagram only has one right turn. Since your theoretical instruction is to turn right at the second opportunity, you would proceed straight through the roundabout and continue looking for your second opportunity. The first exit from the circle counts as an opp to turn right, but the second exit does not.

Hope that is as clear as mud.   

Fortunately, we don't have anything that complicated on this rally.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>