FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TPMS Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPMS Questions
    Posted: October/19/13 at 11:51pm
I was parking around the corner in front of a neighbor's house to allow Stacie easier access to her car (we have a single driveway).  35th is too busy to park on, and I'm a firm believer that street parking is everybody's parking- besides, there's always plenty of open spaces at this end of West Seattle.

The first drywall screw incident was on Wednesday morning; I got the tire repaired that day then noticed another one in the sidewall of the same tire on Friday afternoon!  I seriously thought somebody was trying to send me the "don't park here" message but it hasn't happened again.

Must have been that truck full of screws with the open back door like on that Les Schwab commercial!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/13 at 5:08pm
Bruce...you have to stop drive through walls...
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/13 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

The older models use a rotational relationship method to determine low pressure.  Entirely different system.

It is possible to have all 4 tires go flat and the old system will not alarm as they are all still rotating at the same relative speed.

Warning to owners of older cars:  As it gets colder, your pressure will go down in all tires equally.  See above....

However, if the TPMS goes off real early on a cool morning on your way to work, you should stop and see if there is a drywall screw in one of your rear tires.  In this case it wasn't air loss due to the cool temperatures! 

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/13 at 1:38pm
The older models use a rotational relationship method to determine low pressure.  Entirely different system.

It is possible to have all 4 tires go flat and the old system will not alarm as they are all still rotating at the same relative speed.

Warning to owners of older cars:  As it gets colder, your pressure will go down in all tires equally.  See above....
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/13 at 9:28am
Never had this offered to me at Discount Tire, and that's the only place I get tires.  Maybe the system on the '02 and '03 models are different.

Bruce

SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/13 at 7:24am
Defintely a scam. I've only had them rebuilt when I've purchased new wheels and/or tires.
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/13 at 7:19am
Definitely not something that needs to be done at a tire rotation...that would be a scam.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/13 at 11:39pm
It's just another way to get money. Like a HazMat fee that doesn't go anywhere but in the vendors pocket!
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
cferg View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cferg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/13 at 10:06pm
Hi - Thanks for the input... It's appreciated.  Discount tire says they rebuild the valve portion of the TPMS & its $7.50 per wheel.  It's not that much, I was just curious if it was really necessary with every tire rotation.  Thanks again :-)

2009 Cooper S, BRG Metallic with tinted windows, black sport stripes & V12 EVOs.
SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/13 at 7:26pm
Rebuilds are like $10/wheel
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/13 at 6:29pm
So what should a "rebuild" cost?  What do they really do?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/13 at 7:57am
Yes, they can be rebuilt, and unfortunately it's actually a federal law now that when they install new tires the tire shop has to rebuild them. Not sure what that actually entails, but true. I doubt it's actually necessary...at least not at the frequency some of us go thru tires. If people would just keep their tires properly inflated they wouldn't have to mandate these TPMS systems, but you know how that goes. :)
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
cferg View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cferg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/13 at 11:13am
Hi, I have a few questions about TPMSs… can they be rebuilt, if so, how often?  I’m getting a new set of Blizzak’s installed at Discount and they recommend a TPMS rebuild each time a tire is mounted. Is this a good idea/necessary?
Thanks,
Charlie   
2009 Cooper S, BRG Metallic with tinted windows, black sport stripes & V12 EVOs.
 Post Reply Post Reply