Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the reason your MINI's name?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the reason your MINI's name?
    Posted: October/20/13 at 6:17am
We have some fun-named MINI's in our group, so I thought it would be interesting to find out the reason behind the names... I'll kick it off with SAMSON (aka The Mighty SAMSON)

I originally had a Chili Red Cooper that I thought was spicy and quick and I was in a hot sauce phase and we named her Lola Cholula (after Cholula Hot Sauce).

When I got SAMSON, he didn't have name at first. But I upgraded to an "S" from a standard Cooper and it felt mightier and stronger when I raced down the highway. Now, I'm not a really religious person, but for some reason I remembered the name SAMSON from my time in Catholic school as a kid. According to the biblical account, SAMSON was granted supernatural strength by God in order to combat his enemies and perform heroic feats. It seemed fitting... The Mighty SAMSON had his name.

Here's a pic I snapped entering the parking garage at work (nerdy, I know)

NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Mike & Cheryl View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike & Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 8:15am
MINIBLU- Yes it is Pepper White but it has blue armrests, dash, pinstriping and finally the blue denim top. So did we really have a choice!

Plus MINIBLU fit on the plates!

Edited by Mike & Cheryl - October/20/13 at 8:20am
2010 Pepper White, Blue Denim Top
"MINIBLU" Plates
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 8:50am
ONRAMP comes from my college days when we were all philosophers and poets.  Always the gearhead, I came up with a take on "the highways of life". where the highways might occasionally be rough and bumpy, but you can always enjoy the onramps. 

I've had the plate since right after the personalized plates came out.  The name transfers from car to car.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 9:19am
CINIMIN was named after the little cinnamon candies:  Small, Red, and HOT! (spelling modified to include a MINI reference)

Pat - I always thought the best part of driving the interstates was getting to take an off-ramp -

Edited by CINIMIN - January/13/14 at 9:39am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crikket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 3:27pm
Crikket was named after our very lively black and white Parson Russell Terrier, who loves riding in "her" car!!
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
sammylynn View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammylynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 3:30pm
My first MINI wasn't named...I can't believe the injustice!! So for this MINI I wanted a SUPER awesome name. Unfortunately, every time I went to see her at the dealer "Rosebud" popped into my head. This happened three times without me even owning the car. I think she actually told me the name so Rosebud has stuck. I literally can't look at her and think of anything different.

She loves her driveway mates : Bob the Silverado, Penelope the CX9 and Sally the KTM. She is, by far, the coolest though ;)
2014 Countryman S ALL4 - Brody.
Previous Owner of "Rosebud"
2013 Countryman S ALL4
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 4:13pm
When we built out HUNKA, the color was Burnt Orange. So we started calling her Burnin' Love. That morphed into Hunka Burnin' Love. We just shorten it to HUNKA, but she will answer to either.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 5:12pm
EAR2EAR, I think everyone who drives a MINI knows the feeling. You catch yourself grinning from ear to ear as you enjoy the performance of your car.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 5:39pm
"CORNERS" because: 
1. It corners well (v.)
2. It likes corners (n.)

Edited by CORNERS - October/20/13 at 5:42pm
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 6:14pm
Hip Check was chosen for two reasons:

1) I play and coach hockey and in hockey hip check is a form of body check where you hit someone low, hard and fast which is how I drive; and
2) I have an '06 MINI Checkmate which is very "hip".
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/13 at 10:02pm
Catlvr because I am the crazy cat lady and, yes, it is catlover not catliver!
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 6:10am
Alice Cooper.

After all, school is really out....
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 7:56am
Somehow, it just fits!  Wink

INAMINI View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INAMINI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 7:59am
My name is Ina, and I am "In a MINI." INAMINI- just a bit too easy.
2006 PW/B MCS with NL INAMINI Europlate
          _____
sssssss/__|_\_
ssssss(O)___(O)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 8:38am
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

ONRAMP comes from my college days when we were all philosophers and poets.  Always the gearhead, I came up with a take on "the highways of life". where the highways might occasionally be rough and bumpy, but you can always enjoy the onramps. 

I've had the plate since right after the personalized plates came out.  The name transfers from car to car.

Pat

Pat!  I always wondered about the name and just thought it was because it (an ONRAMP) was the only place you could legally really punch it!

SMOG= Special Mini Operations Group.   Aren't 2 Mini's a Group???

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 9:24am
Even though I log in here and everywhere else on the internet as "valvashon" that's a story for another day as that's not the name of my car.  It's "Napoleon II" and as you may guess, it has mostly to do with the original "Napoleon", which was a 1984 Renault Encore, the car I had until I got my MINI.  

Napoleon I got it's name because shortly after we got it used (as Stacie's car) it ate a transmission and spent about three months at the Worst Transmission Shop Ever where they were attempting to rebuild the 5-speed manual.  They were so bad at it I ended up tracking down and buying parts for them so they could do their job.  The car was stuck there because the extended warranty place wouldn't let us move it to another shop.  They had it "done" for us several times; each time it would die about a half hour later.  They never did give us back a working car; in the end I had to take it to my regular Renault mechanic (this was a long time ago) and he had to straighten out the mess they had made out of the battery/charging/starting system.  Amazingly, the transmission lasted another 150,000+ miles!

While it was at the shop, we went to the movies one night and saw "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", which isn't that good of a movie but at one point Bill/Ted refers to Napoleon as "That short dead dude from France!"  The name then stuck because this also described our car at the time- short, dead and from France.  Why Napoleon II?   Because Lisa Simpson named her next cat "Snowball II".  I'm one big pop culture reference.

As far as Stacie's car, she was coming up with names long before even starting to shop, as she knew it was going to be Silk Green.  MINIMNT was finally settled on because, especially with that matching top, it really does look like a big breath mint!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 10:15am
Mine is just MINI.  I had no idea people actually named their cars until I found this club.  At the time, I was beyond excited to finally own one and I always referred to it as MINI. 
Dave's not here is another story from back in my racing days.  One day at the shop hanging with the crew and prepping for another race somebody came into the shop asking where I was.  The shop owner, who was standing right next to me yells "Dave's not here!" and from that day on, I was never there, or here.  And especially because these cars are so much fun I took it to another level (why not?) and got the vanity plates for the car [DVSNTHR] which to this day the only person to have correctly interpreted them is my cousin's husband. I had an amusing crowd in front of my MINI at AMVIV 8 trying to figure out what that meant.  Now the cat's out of the bag.   
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 11:00am
99.9% of the time I've referred to my MINI as "MINI" also. As in "MINI needs an oil change" and "I'm taking MINI to the store". And, it caught on with family and friends who say things like, "Will you be driving MINI in the rain?" and "Did MINI get any new toys?"  When my classic came along, it had to be "MINI JR". Tongue

Love the Dave's Not Here story!

Edited by Genie B - October/21/13 at 11:02am
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 11:46am
Thanks Genie.  I'll open up the door into my garage and say "Hi MINI" to my car.  ...Good God, I just admitted to talking to a car.  Thankfully though MINI USA has provided us a nice disclaimer for that behavior with "we're not normal."  I sense an amendment to the DSM-IV A.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
Mishwentz View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishwentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:09pm
That's okay, I talk to mine all the time! Lol!!!
Mishwentz View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishwentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:11pm
I never thought it could be so fun to waste gas.....now I can't believe I admitted that one!
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:20pm
Alsatia - Look that one up on Wikipedia. My '08 is my little "Alsatia" when I drive her. Also, Alsatia is the name of the sister in the movie Toys. For those that know that movie it will make sense.

Whitworth - For those that know what Frac 51 The Haçienda is... it sat on Whitworth St and Albion St. Not the most creative name but being as Frac 51 was a little before my time, it's a place I wish I had had the chance to party at. Besides, Whitworth is a proper British name.

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:21pm
and for those talking to their cars... I pat the dashboard and say good boy/girl whenever one of my MINIs does something good... like comfortably merging in front of that big semi on 90 coming down from Snoqualmie.
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:47pm
Well, I guess we're all a little over the moon!  Wow, patting the dash, I did that too just after taking the checkered flag for my first sports car win in a rain squall, and then apologizing to it for getting it wet because we had to race with the windows down.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 12:57pm
Alice just got a dash pat the other day.   60,000 fun filled miles.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 4:08pm
I do admit to chatting with my Navigator now and then . . . after all, we have to agree on where we want to go. Wink

Hey, Bulldog!

no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/13 at 8:06pm
I call my Justa "Pepper". It's Pepper White and one of my favorite bands is Pepper, outta Kona town brah! It now has a Hawaii Love sticker my g/f got me too, adding to the name.
My forum name is no.9 because I wasn't feeling particularly creative the day/night I joined. It's just my ninth car.

Edited by no.9 - October/21/13 at 8:10pm
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/13 at 7:50am
My first MINI (and still my favorite car of all time) was named BadS and had the plates BADSMNI because that's what it was..a R53 MINI Cooper S and it was Bad Ass! :) Snuck that one thru the DMV with some fancy explanation.

Stormtrooper came up for my current "Justa" because it is Pepper White and at the time my wife's car was a sinister looking R60 Countryman S All4 in Absolute Black with Red JCW stripes and was named "Vader". Well, I never could have known that she would already be on Countryman #3 so they don't really make a pair from Star Wars any longer but still like the name. :) 
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Mishwentz View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishwentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/13 at 10:07pm
My name is a combo of things......I secretly (Or not, so as I'm posting it for the world to read) call him "dawg" hence the W on the plates! My brothers came up with a term "give it the onion" meaning floor it or give it the gas! When I got on it for the first time and "gave it the onion" my first words out of my mouth was....."man does this have some torque behind it"! So torque the dawg came to life, but call my mini Dawg! When I talk to it of course!!! The plates ohbehav Autin Powers saying😇
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/13 at 11:08am
I haven't ever named a car. I just started referring to it as "The MINI Pooper" After a while, I changed the badge to reflect its name.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>