Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 fuel economy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 fuel economy?
    Posted: January/24/14 at 10:13am

After years of mostly weekend driving, with trip lengths of 30-50 miles each way, I've been reduced to using my MINI as a commuter, usually no more than five miles each way.

I averaged 27mpg like clockwork for nine years (32mpg on highway-only trips), but now I'm down in the low 20s, and this morning's fill-up shows 20.0; is that normal?  I know I'm driving under the worst possible conditions for good mileage, but really, 20mpg?  My wife suggested we drive all the way to the office more often, rather than to the park 'n' ride, so I'm not so disappointed by the mileage numbers . . .
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/14 at 10:34am
I always tell folks who ask, "Anywhere between 18 and 36 depending on my mood"..

Also, are you calculating mileage or using the OBC?  I don't necessarily trust the OBC.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/14 at 1:17pm
I usually buy gas at the same station, try to use the same pump when I do, and base my calculations on the odometer.
There was a guy on MINI2 who claimed well over 40mpg, and it turns out he drives 20 miles each way on a two-lane with no stops, probably turning 1500rpm in 6th.
When I would tell people "27", they were usually filling-up their dually pickup or Ford Expedition, and thought 27mpg was really great, but it looks like the new Corvette gets about 27mpg in city driving.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/14 at 6:11pm
This seems normal for your conditions. Short trips will kill mileage in any car. Engine runs richer and with more friction until the engine is fully warmed. This takes about 10 miles. 

I get about 16-17 in my R53, but that's almost all short, non highway trips, lead foot driving and 244HP worth of mods... 

It's worth looking at your total transportation expense rather than the cost per mile. Lower MPG is not a big deal if you are driving less miles. 

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/14 at 1:13pm
I drove down to Chehalis and back, last weekend, and averaged just over 30mpg, so that's in line with what I've seen over the years.  I'm going down to Albany, OR in early May, and will fill up with real gasoline prior, and see how adversely my mileage is affected by gasohol.

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/14 at 7:12pm
I use an app on my phone to track my mileage, over the past 3 months I've averaged 28.02 MPG. That will be going up since my commute to work is non-stop on the freeway now. I averaged as high as 33 on my last trip from Portland to Seattle.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/14 at 8:32am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

This seems normal for your conditions. Short trips will kill mileage in any car. Engine runs richer and with more friction until the engine is fully warmed. This takes about 10 miles. 
This.  Not only is the car running richer, the oil in the transmission is cold and that takes longer to warm up than the engine does which also reduces your gas mileage.  This factor is worse in winter, the cold temps and rain make the engine/transmission take longer to heat up.
I'm 2-4mpg lower in the winter vs summer.  I track all my fuelups with fuelly.com (via and android app).  I also measure actual (GPS) vs odometer mileage readings so I can account for differences in tire circumference.  
My commute is ~100miles/day, so its worth it for me to keep track of mileage trends.  I recently passed 100k miles.  I know its time to replace the spark plugs and 02 sensor.  I'll get to find out how much difference those make on my mileage.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/14 at 11:18am
When I had my R53 I used to get between 25-27 commuting...so you don't sound too far off. Mine included about 25 miles each way with about 18 or so of that on I-5. Like others have said though once you get off the freeway your mileage drops significantly..all of that stop and go and such at lights and stop signs make a big difference.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/14 at 1:05pm
My Seattle-Albany, OR-Seattle round trip at the beginning of May, which included some two-lane highway driving, averaged 33.5mpg (gasohol).  That is my best trip mileage, ever. 

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/14 at 2:58pm
huh, we average about 36 in our Coupe S (R58). When I lead MINI drives and have to drive smoothly and not push the speed limit I'm usually over 40. Our high was 41.8 from Oly to Portland via the coast on last years "I've been to the Edge" drive.

Even with lots of spirited driving, I have only averaged under 30mpg when I've been at the track.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/14 at 3:39pm
The Gen2 MINIs get significantly better mileage than the Gen1s, especially the R53. 
But I don't care. My R53 still gets better mileage than our Acura MDX, even if I drive the MINI like I stole and drive the MDX like it's a Subaru. 
Beno View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/14 at 4:39pm
I tend to drive with a heavy foot, usually pushing 3K R's and my MPG sucks… I just returned from a week on the road... Seattle to Aqua Dulci Cal, onward to South Dakota's Blackhills, then home to Seattle…  28.5 MPG. I was pretty encouraged!
DoS CAI/DoS W2A IC/CAE Shifter/Sneed Oil Cooler/Milltek Catback/IP Coils/Okada Plasma Ground/Ohlin R&T/Vorschlag Camber plates/ H&R FSB/H-Sport Comp RSB/H-Sport Camber links/Wilwood DP-6 BBK
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/14 at 8:49pm
I use DASH to monitor my fuel mileage while driving (uses a bluetooth OBD reader). My best trip to date, I think, from PDX - SEA was 33mpg, cruise set, avg speed of about 70mph (average, hehe). Right now to/from work I'm not doing so great, because once I'm off the freeway...well... =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/14 at 7:43am
Average speed definitely affects the mileage.  My commute is 55-60mph and I consistently get 36mpg AVG.  We did 2 trips to eastern WA this past month with an average speed between 75 and 80, gas mileage was down to 32mpg.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/14 at 8:31am
I always tell people that the milage is anywhere between 18 and 35 depending on what kind of mood I am in.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
 Post Reply Post Reply