Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burnt out bumper light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burnt out bumper light
    Posted: February/08/14 at 11:36am
On my R50 the right front bumper turn signal works, but when I am just using the parking lights, that light is burnt out. Are there two bulbs in that housing? I'm not sure what to look for at the auto parts store.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 1:43pm
Yes - two bulbs.  Take the burned out one with you.  I'll go to the garage and see if I can find a bulb number...  back soon.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 2:15pm
OK.  Got it.

Tools needed:
- Radiator hose pliers (or something where the plier head is 90 degrees to the handle - a big "L"
- Band-aids
- rag to wipe up the blood from the skinned knuckle and holes in the back of your hand

The bulb is a 2825.  Don't know what brand because I cut that part off to fit in the little space in the bulb drawer.  The UPC is 0 31293 42235 4

Procedure:
- Reach in the handy LITTLE hole and remove the plug (push on the "wire" end of the clip and pull toward the rear of the car.  Pull tag of skin off the knuckle, wipe up blood, and install band-aid)
- try to unscrew the bulb holder with your fingers.  It won't work
- take the "L" pliers and gently grab the bulb holder and unscrew 90 degrees.  Reach in the LITTLE hole and pull straight back.  When it comes out, quickly remove your hand and apply pressure to the new hole in the back of your hand.  Apply band-aid.
- Pull bulb straight out of bulb holder - it does not twist.  Put new bulb in.
- Grasp bulb holder and worm your hand down into the LITTLE hole and locate the hole, and push the bulb holder into the hole.  If you are lucky, you can screw the holder in 90 degrees.  You won't be lucky.
- take the "L" pliers and twist the holder back 90 degrees.  Don't squeeze too hard or you will have reason to start cursing about the trip you need to make to the Dealer's parts counter.
- once you have heard or felt that satisfying click indicating that you have successfully installed the bulb holder without damaging it, withdraw the "L" pliers.
- Stick your hand back into the LITTLE hole and insert the plug into the bulb holder.  Be careful about the placement of your hand when pushing or you will end up with another hole in the back of your hand.
- after the plug clicks into place, say a small prayer and go test the lights.  If the prayer worked, all is well.  Go drive.

So - whaddaya think.  Bentley hasn't got ANYTHING on me, right?  Actually, I'm one up on the Bentley boys.  I have the bulb number, and I couldn't find it in the book...

Pat

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 3:06pm
Ouch, Pat. Sounds like you do have one up on Bentley and enriched Johnson & Johnson shareholders at the same time!  The rumor that design engineers don't work on cars appears to have risen again.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 3:20pm
No substitute for the voice of experience.  Probably good that you did not include pictures.  Good write up Pat. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 3:44pm
Thanks, Jack.

And thanks, Dave (it's Dave! - open the door - I have the stuff...)

I think German engineers have been subjected to GENETIC engineering which makes their hand size about 2/3rds the size of regular sized hands (size 10 glove).  A bad side effect of this genetic engineering has resulted in them all growing up to be pedantic, arbitrary and evil.  The evil side shows up when they engineer a very expensive special tool for the removal of this specific bulb and then bury any mention of it in the dealer only literature.  Of course, this tool is not for sale to the general public.

Bet you think I'm kidding.  Have you seen the tool used to adjust the Xenon headlights with the hood closed?

Evil, I'm tellin' ya
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 5:57pm
The one that gets me is the special tool for aligning the windshield washer nozzles on BMW's... 
Jack -

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 7:14pm
Ha!  I've seen that - do they use one on Minis as well?

I wonder if Mitch got his light bulb installed.  Might have to call him...
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 7:17pm
Just called Mitch.  No answer.  I think he crushed the light bulb holder and is out looking for a replacement...
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/14 at 7:41pm
Maybe he is at First-Aid - or the Emergency Room.  Hope not.
Jack -

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 8:18am

It was a kick reading all of this - too sad that it's all so true. Yikes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my hubby never has to go through this with my R50! Hope Mitch has a success story to tell.

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 9:29am
Perhaps I could bribe you with a beer to supervise this procedure and let me use those odd pliers some night this week?
Mitch & Teri
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 9:59am
You got it!  I have some more band-aids too.  Say when.  I have a couple of beers here.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 5:15pm
MORE BEER!!!

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 8:48pm
I can do the bulb R&R without tools. I must be a freak. I seem to have the small hands but hopefully none of those other traits. 
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 9:14pm
More beer, small hands and a bit of Vaseline on the seals make getting that stuck bugger our way easier.  One visitor to the garage was convinced that the bulb could not be replaced after breaking the bulb holder trying to get it out.  I suspect the location and exposure to whatever the world and weather throws at it makes it tougher to remove over time.  Surprised the engineers didn't come up with a "6 month life bulb" to help keep the seals fresh!

Whaddaya doin' tomorrow night Kurt?  Plenty of room and beer for one more!  Be good to catch up!

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 9:23pm
Is something happening tomorrow? I work nights but if it's worth reporting sick...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/14 at 9:24pm
Oh and by the way, it's easier to get it to break free sometimes by spraying some silicone lubricant on the seal area. Sometimes it penetrates just enough. 
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 4:55am
This all sounds like a man challenge.  Mighty tempting after successfully conquering the tiny inards of my netbook this weekend.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 6:17am
It's the sharp points around the little hole that get you.  A little German humor.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 7:09am
Sorry Kurt - between texts and messages on the forum, I'm not sure what has been posted where.  Mitch is stopping by to bleed out in my garage after work tonight.  Beer is to replenish fluids after the blood loss.  You could stop by and maybe save his life!  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 9:12pm
OK - end of story.  Mitch dropped by with his new bulbs.  We opened the beers, then opened the hood.  The bulb had been replaced in the past, and the holder was upside down.  But off came the plug, a little turn of the holder with the pliers and Mitch popped the thing out (kind of a Kurt experience here - no problem, and no blood.  Tiny bit disappointing I must say).  Out comes the blackened bulb (a sign that the smoke TRIED to get out), in goes the shiny new clear bulb, Mitch inserts the whole thing in right side up, pops in the plug and he has light.

Life is good.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 9:19pm
Yep, no beer or blood spilled tonight. Thanks Pat.
Mitch & Teri
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/14 at 9:42pm

Sorry, just noticed the new posts. Too many problems with this forums. Not receiving notifications and also getting constant errors when I try to post anything.

Unfortunately I have to work evenings, although looks like it might not have been worth the drive to see a light bulb get replaced without drama. 

I am doing a supercharger pulley installation at my house in Bothell starting 930am tomorrow if anyone wants to watch or record video for a Youtube video... 

Last week I used a "hat cam" to record first person point of view video of replacing Jason Grover's clutch. Sometimes the action is out of the camera's field of view but should be somewhat interesting to watch once I finish editing.... video length currently over 8 hours...! 

Post Reply Post Reply