Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked Rim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Rim
    Posted: April/02/14 at 2:01pm
So I was getting new summer tires mounted on my summer rims and Discount Tire has informed me that the rim is cracked.

Anyone have any good recommendations for rim repair? Or should I bite the bullet and get it replaced?
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 3:40pm
Cracked where and how bad? I'd ask to see it before going any further, make sure they didn't do it (hard to do, put possible I'm sure). 

Could just be a lip crack I guess. There are a couple of options in the area for repair depending on where you live, how far you're willing to go, leave it, etc.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 3:45pm
The place I usually go for repair of curb rash generally frowns on fixing cracked MINI rims because they are too light and the repair is less than perfect. Depending on the cost of the wheel you may find replacement more affordable. I just bought a new rim on Amazon for about the price of repair. Good luck!
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 10:11pm
Boy Gordon - unless you did something memorable which caused the crack, I'm not sure I would trust the wheel even if it were repaired.  FWIW, repaired rims aren't eligible for HPDE, and for good reason.  I'm sure you feel like I do - with the safety of family, a car I like, and my own fanny at risk, I vote for replacement.  I know - expensive, but just like helmets - you have a $50 head or a $300 head.

I've met the folks at two different wheel repair shops, and everyone concerned was very responsible and caring.  Still - none would state that the wheel was as good as new, and no warranty.

Another route is to just pick some new wheels from the Tire Rack or Discount Tire catalog.  Unless you can find a Craigs list deal, you might get a whole new look for not much more than the replacement wheel (assuming it is a Mini Factory wheel...).

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 11:40pm
Some broken things can be REPAIRED <<<(Corrected)- without much risk - Don't think cracked wheels are in that group.  (I have always had good experience with Discount Tire here in Everett - never had them try to sell me something that wasn't needed.)  

Edited by CINIMIN - April/03/14 at 4:07pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/14 at 8:01am
I wouldn't repair a cracked rim...replace it.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/14 at 2:13pm
Repalce it.... I have some nice Black S lites off of my Clubby that I would be willing to sell you at a good price
you can see them in this picture, no road rash...

Edited by BurnerS - April/03/14 at 2:16pm
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/14 at 3:21pm
Replace replace replace. 
 Post Reply Post Reply