Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two clutches, two days!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two clutches, two days!
    Posted: April/06/14 at 9:39am
Two different cars, however.  

Friday night Stacie reported difficulty shifting her car, especially into reverse as her and Elliott were leaving a school event.  By the time she got to our driveway, it was a not-shifting-unless-I-force-it, hazard flashers on, luckily-I-could-nose-it-into-our-driveway sort of thing.  This is a disappointing turn of events, considering that we just replaced it in 2011, less than 20k ago.  I'll check the paper work but I'm sure that any warranty that Swedish Automotive provided has long since expired.  Gentle scraping noise when the pedal is depressed indicates to me that the throwout bearing has gone out.

Saturday, I ran errands in the afternoon and then let Stacie take the car to the nearby Westwood Village for a spot of shopping.  She had barely pulled in their parking lot when the clutch on my car died a violent, screeching noises and pedal to the floor death.  There's no question about the carnage inside of my bellhousing.

Weird thing is that both were working fine until the few minutes before their demise, my clutch especially.  Hopefully this means the input shafts on the Midlands were saved in both cases.  Both are eventually headed to Kurt's, mine first as it is somewhere other than safely in our driveway.

Sorry for the Sunday morning downer- I just hope that this 'double-clutching' (ha!) never happens to anybody else.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 10:02am
The word Bummer does not quite cover it!
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 10:21am
Wow....I wonder if Kurt is in town? =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 11:14am
So sorry to hear this Bruce and Stacie - best wishes for a speedy repair.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 5:46pm
Oh Man! That is not fair at all. Hope you have them both on the road again soon!
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/14 at 1:18pm
Was the throw out bearing replaced on the recent clutch job? Strange it would fail like that.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/14 at 11:11pm
He got me just in time. I am in town until Saturday and gone all next week. The teardown/reassembly is on Thursday. Stop in if you want to watch.

...Which one do I get to take apart first? I want to see the explosive carnage one please!

Edited by CORNERS - April/08/14 at 11:22pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/14 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

Was the throw out bearing replaced on the recent clutch job? Strange it would fail like that.

I just did the clutch for NOTPOKY just last week. 
He had throwout bearing noises and then the pedal wouldn't go down and the clutch became totally disengaged. Car could roll freely even when in gear. We feared the worst. 

When I took it apart, the throwout bearing looked fine (a bit noisy) but the spring fingers on the pressure plate had worn through - one of the fingers caught the edge of the throwout fork and bent. 
I put a bit of grease on the front of the new bearing to hopefully prevent a recurrence. 
Here's a photo: 

Edited by CORNERS - April/08/14 at 11:23pm
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/14 at 10:53am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

He got me just in time. I am in town until Saturday and gone all next week. The teardown/reassembly is on Thursday. Stop in if you want to watch.

...Which one do I get to take apart first? I want to see the explosive carnage one please!

You get the screeching, pedal to the floor one first, because it's sitting out on the street.  Stacie was able to nurse her car into the driveway.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/14 at 8:00pm
Done!

Thanks again to Kurt- this was huge since we can make that planned trip to Portland to try out a car seat from Orbit for Hazel, and to go to the Tulip Rallye.  Here's some pictures of the carnage:

Here's the throwout bearing that grenaded.  Stacie's comment was "Even I can tell that's broken!"  I should have taken a picture of what they are supposed to look like.  You can't tell one is the other.

My driven disc was pretty worn.  Within a year it would have started slipping anyway.  You can see a suggestion of grooves; they are supposed to be pretty deep.

My spring fingers are pretty worn as well but nothing like Bryne's.

Again, thanks to Kurt and special thanks to Seattle MINI for having the throwout bearing guide in stock, as that doesn't usually come with the clutch kit.  Again, I was reminded of the value of a club membership with the parts counter discount on this purchase.  If anybody out there is on the fence about joining, the discounts are a great deal and you'll usually make your membership dues back in the course of a year.

I have more work to do, but I can do it myself- we discovered bad ball joints (inner and outer) and bad boots on the axles meaning they'll need replacing soon as the grease gets flung out.

See you at the Tulip Rallye!

Bruce

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 7:21am
Glad it worked out for you. Good job Kurt. Woot!
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 7:28am
It sure is a rewarding feeling to get something put together correctly and have it work so well :-)

Kurt, "The Wizard".

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 10:25am
ClapClapClapClapClap
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 2:29pm
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 7:09pm
These videos are spectacular!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/14 at 10:09am
More video: 
Full video howto - 
Part 1: 

Part 2: 
 Post Reply Post Reply