Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Let Me Introduce Myself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A friend in need is a friend indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A friend in need is a friend indeed!
    Posted: September/06/14 at 2:30pm
Hey everyone. I'm a long time Mini owner and newly registered with the forum here. Why? Because I need help! I'd love to get involved in some local Mini/PSM events, but I gotta get my beloved R53 running again!

Some fun tidbits:
My '02 Dark Silver R53 was and is my first and only car.
It's only got 87k miles on it, and 3800 of those are from an unbelievably enjoyable roadtrip when I moved from VA to Seattle last August. Just me, my Mini, and a tiny trailer full of most of my worldly possessions.

Here's a shot from that trip:

Now I'm going to sneak on over to a different part of the forum to ask for the help I so desperately need! 
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/14 at 4:11pm
Nice set-up! Where from Virginia and what can we help you with? <walks over to the other forum>
SFarbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/14 at 6:04pm
Thanks! I grew up in Chester. 
In a nutshell, I took my car apart and put it back together and now it won't start and I can't figure out why. </run-on sentence>

More details and pleas for help can be found here:
http://www.psmini.org/forum/replaced-supercharger-now-engine-wont-start_topic10716.html

Bonus pic from the trip of my usual camp set up. I was on the road for 2.5 weeks and, with the exception of 3 stops to visit family/friends, I stayed exclusively in campgrounds. No hotels! Also, almost no restaurants. Yay, camp-food!

(I took a ton of pics, video, and even a dashboard timelapse. I really should put together an album/video.)
'02 R53 - DDMWorks CAI, Sprint Booster, Megan Racing Short Shifter, WMW 15% Pulley, TSW Upper Motor Mount, Madness 22mm Rear Sway Bar, CB radio w/ 4' hatch mounted antenna for that sweet RC car look.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/14 at 7:31pm
Cool trip!  Hope you get that ride rolling again soon!
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/14 at 8:17am
Welcome to the club. Not meaning to change the thread , but it looks like you're into hammock camping. Are you tied up to the rear spoiler on your car or is it the trailer? What are your thoughts on hammocks vs. tents?
Coll
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/14 at 8:53am
Hammocks provide the bears more excitement when they swat it and see it move :-)  I used one for years until I decided I needed more sleep.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SFarbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/14 at 10:23pm
Ear2ear, I really like hammock camping. Set up and tear down are really easy, which was important on this trip as I was doing both every day. I used 2 trees when the camp site allowed for it (2 poles in the Badlands where there were no trees), or 1 tree and my hatch otherwise. I just opened the hatch and looped the strap around the hinge and closed it. It worked great. The hammock I have is the ENO singlenest with the rain fly, bug net, underbelly sling, altas straps, aluminum caribiner, and ember underquilt for those cold nights. It's a very versatile and compact system.

When it comes to tent vs hammock, it's mostly personal preference. I really like the simplicity and compactness of the hammock. I also tend to sleep better in a hammock for whatever reason. The under quilt is nice and warm and makes the hammock an all-season option. You are, of course limited to sites with a place to hang up, but the straps are very versatile. On the other hand, you don't need flat ground, which can be a lot harder to find than trees in a lot of places.

Smog, I do have to say I was a bit nervous for the nights I was in Yellowstone. I was a tasty dangling meat sack. Tongue
'02 R53 - DDMWorks CAI, Sprint Booster, Megan Racing Short Shifter, WMW 15% Pulley, TSW Upper Motor Mount, Madness 22mm Rear Sway Bar, CB radio w/ 4' hatch mounted antenna for that sweet RC car look.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/14 at 5:12am
I started using hammocks in Vietnam where the military provided one with a rainproof roof with mosquito net sides.  Worked very well and the snakes and scorpions were less likely to climb in as they might in a tent or bunkerThumbs Down  Backpacking in the mountains the modern equivalent is great because you are always in the same position and not trying to find a level space.

I did a lot of van camping over a period of 5 years and I had a setup where I slung the hammocks inside the van so I could park on uneven ground.  Once again less chance of scorpions inside the bus and the hammock system.

I never would have thought about using the hinge of the hatch; good idea, thanks!!

Surfing and fishing in Baja.

SFarbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/14 at 1:37pm
Very cool setup. Man, I really want to go camping. Does PSMini ever do camping trips? When my car works again, one of the first things I want to do is drive a couple hours out somewhere and camp.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/14 at 5:51pm
Camping in the MINI means that you cannot get to remote places because of ground clearance.  It has the power and you could put some aggressive M/S tires for traction, but the rocks, ruts, logs all play heck with my little beast.  Love the idea though!

Hole in the Ground, central Oregon, east of LaPine about 26 miles.  Great spot for camping and maybe only 2 miles of dirt road getting to it for primitive camping overlooking the rather large crater.

Edited by SMOG - September/20/14 at 5:54pm
Rob and Terri View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob and Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/14 at 6:31pm

SMOG,

You must have been and officer... all I got was a torn poncho, much used poncho liner, M16, and all the jungle floor I needed to sleep on.

2017 Clubman S All4- Moonwalk grey w/pearl int. (Moonshadow). Previous MINIs: 2014 All Black F56 Justa . 2013 S Hardtop, 'KERMINI' - BRG/BRG w/Beige interior
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/14 at 7:12pm

Ha!  Nope, a simple Spc4 driving a weapons squad in an M-113 w/106 recoiless on top.

If parked I sat here; photo taken before the 106 was installed.  Boy was that noisy!! It made the 50cal barking above my head sound like a popgun.  And my wife wonder why I don't hear hereLOL

Here is the issued hammock without the roof deployed.

Edited by SMOG - September/20/14 at 7:23pm
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/14 at 9:51am
I'd be down for some MINI camping next season. I know a ton of places around that are out in the boonies and yet still friendly to our little cars. Some of the best places that I know of are up around Blewett Pass and Mountain Loop Highway.
Hello MINI Punisher!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/14 at 11:38am
Excellent!
 Post Reply Post Reply