Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete Moronic Stunt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete Moronic Stunt
    Posted: September/16/14 at 9:07am
So how I managed this is beyond me. We've been doing home remodel and part of that was taking out the chain link fencing. Well, I had a fence post with a huge clump of concrete sitting at the edge of my yard along the road. Went to go to the store yesterday, completely spaced it was moved in front of my mini.
Yep, I drove right on top of that sucker high centering my car. Immediately shut it off, got out and saw how much of a bonehead I was. Had to jack up the car nearly rolling it over to get it out. Once it was back down, I drove it around the block real quick to make sure I didn't destroy the drivetrain.
Parked it and started a more thorough assessment of the damage. Bent the oil pan and the transmission pan in pretty bad. But the worse of it is when I noticed my new coolant leak. Pushed in and up on my radiator. Hoping I didn't destroy my trans cooler too.
So it sits probably through winter due to other projects that are a bit higher priority. If anyone can give me some feedback as to what has to be taken off to replace the radiator - it'd be greatly appreciated.
Hello MINI Punisher!
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 3:05pm
Oh crap....but Moronic Stunt #2 is assuming anything is more important that a MINI!   LOL
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 3:27pm
Well, ironically enough, what's taking priority is another BMW. My neighbor gave me an imported 1985 m635CSi with the 3.2/3.5 engine and still has the original mtronic ecu. Minor body work on the front needed, the rest is mint. Just hasn't been on the road for a decade. But today the car partially came to life.

Now I love my mini dearly and seeing it just sit in front of the house is depressing. But what's even more depressing is the quote I got from mini to make the repairs. Nearly $4300. So sadly yes, the 635 will be taking priority. Requiring less money to fix up just to turn and sell it to complete the repairs on Punisher.
Hello MINI Punisher!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 3:54pm
Man, I really hate it when I do something like that and don't have anyone to blame but myself . . . makes me scream! Angry. The good news is that you have a plan that includes finding the money to get your MINI back on the road. Wishing you a fast turnaround on the BMW and a speedy recovery for your MINI. Big smile
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 5:55pm
Just because your MINI is off the road for a while, don't forget you are still part of the MINI community and are welcome regardless of what you are driving!  Good luck with a speedy and inexpensive repair.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 8:31pm
That was a big OUCH!!!  Time to put a Honda engine in it :-)

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 8:37pm
It would have been safer to not attempt driving. If there is internal mechanical damage, that could make it worse. 

Engine: You have probably damaged the oil pickup tube inside the oil pan and will need to inspect interior to make sure there is no contact with crankshaft, etc. 

Transmission: Filter and pickup may be damaged and the whole thing will probably require a flush and fill, as well as an inspection of the valves and switches. 

Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 8:40pm
Hahaha smog. Um no. One honda crapping the driveway style is enough. How about I put a sami 1.3L and running gear. Make it my new wheelin' rig. Putting yodas and heeps to shame. With style..

Hello MINI Punisher!
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 8:47pm
Corners. I'm expecting the worse of it really once I tear into it. The pans are only pushed up maybe 1/4". Seals still intact and no funny noises at all. The hit wasn't very fast, maybe 2mph. The way it was shaped, it was mostly under the car when it rotated up. Like the lower hanging bolt on the bottom struck it and made it roll to lopsided it upright.

I am planning to do the radiator myself. Then have Seattle Mini inspect the rest of it for a piece of mind. The worse case scenario is that it hits Craigslist for 6k. But that's only when all other efforts exhausted.
Hello MINI Punisher!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 9:21pm
1/4" should have zero internal damage. Sounds like you'll be OK then. 

Save some money and take it to a good independent shop such as South Lake European or Zahntech or Broad Stroke Associates... 
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/14 at 7:15pm
I think to get to the radiator you need to put the front end into "service mode" which involves taking the bumper cover and bumper off, along with the crush tubes behind the bumper.  Sounds more complicated than it really is.  Search for "MINI service mode" and you'll probably find lots of how-to's of various types.  If  you decide to do this PM me and I can send you two of the bolts you will need to hang the radiator thing on as you pull it forward.  BMW sells a special tool but I just use 8x100MM metric bolts.  I get a bunch from Tacoma Screw as needed and hand them out as I go through life.

P.S.- this advice only applies to the first generation MINI's- '02-'06 models.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/14 at 3:44pm
Thank you all for the feedback on this. I will look into the "service mode" info for the front end. Mine is an '08 base model, so unsure of the bolts. But I am sure I will find some info about those bolts. And definitely hit you up on them if needed.

Hoping for a speedy recovery because this just isn't the same...
Hello MINI Punisher!
 Post Reply Post Reply