Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removal of rear interior panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmyDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removal of rear interior panels
    Posted: November/24/14 at 11:54pm
HELP! I need some detailed instructions on how to remove the rear interior panels.  I am attempting to replace my burnt Harmon Kardon amp and sure could use some assistance.  The postings on NAM are for the R56 and the service manual is not detailed.  So if anyone has good instructions it is appreciated.
Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 1:27am
I assume you are talking about an R53. Procedure goes something like this: 

1. Remove plastic boot sill cover - three plastic pins at the bottom, then it just pops out with a body panel tool
  2. Remove black philips screws on at the back on the side panels
  3. Remove back seat bottom. Just pull up and it comes out. 
  4. Remove back seat backs. 10mm bolt in the middle, then tap the clip forward with a hammer. The seat backs can be pulled up from the center, then rotate to about 45 degrees to get the side clips to align and pull out toward center of car
  5. Pull off rubber molding around passenger door 
  6. Use body panel tool to separate panel from car body - starting from around the B pillar and working your way back. There are about 7-8 round clips at the front and rear and 3-4 rectangular metal clips below the back side window Be careful to avoid breaking clips. Lift up and out. You might want to disconnect the seat belt bottom brackets to give you more room. 

I am going from memory so I might have missed a few steps, but that's the general idea. 

ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmyDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 11:14pm

I finally got the panel out and the replacement Harmon Kardon amp installed.  It took me about 2 hours of work in this Philippines heat.  It was 90F at 730 am this morning when I started.  Now I am installing the passenger side Schroth harness hardware for the wifey and reinstall the rear seat delete and the M7 rear chassis brace.

Next project is getting the front bumper repaired.  The shippers ripped out the bottom lip on the Aero Kit and broke the drivers side top bumper bracket.  Uncle Sam will be getting the bills to reimburse me on the claim.

I will be doing the beltline blackout and also all windows tinted including the windshield.  Yes it is legal to have window tint on the windshield here.  I found a 3M body wrap shop and will see if they can wrap the door handles, headlight trim, gas cap and tint the headlights and taillights. WORK IN PROGRESS!

Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 11:28pm
Good deal. Is the car coming back to the US? Get it all done before then for cheaper labor rates! 
ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmyDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 11:35pm

No the car is staying here.  I am still in the process of getting the car registered.  The MINI arrived 3 weeks ago after sitting in Korea for 6 months.  The import taxes are killer here and it is a long process for importation and all the papers.  I had a customs/import broker do the initial papers. 

We will hook up with the MINI club here however 90% of the MINIs in the Manila club are the original MINIs.  They have about 300 members and there are about 10 2nd gen MINIs.  Should be fun doing runs here. 

Post Reply Post Reply