Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best winter tire for a MINI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best winter tire for a MINI?
    Posted: December/09/14 at 4:32pm
I'm looking at a sep set of snow tires for the MINI, and wondering what people have used and been happy with?

I'm currently looking at the General Altimax Arctic, it has good review from other MINI drivers, and is a great price. Anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks!

Jason
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/14 at 8:38pm
I love my blizzaks!
06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/14 at 6:39am
Originally posted by scoopieb scoopieb wrote:

I love my blizzaks!

+1

Also Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

I have both the blizzaks for my Cooper and the Dunlops for my "S".

Both sets are on their own dedicated wheels.

There is a rather extensive set of Threads on this site for winter tires so check them out.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/14 at 8:59am
The General tire got good ratings on Tirerack as well.  Check our their reviews/testing to see actual comparison data.  Currently have Blizzaks on my E30 and Mini.  

I need to comment that I'm against studded tires.  They destroy our roads and make cars less stable in non-icy conditions.

quote from the last test:
"Our test results confirm the addition of studs to the General Altimax Arctic had little to no influence on snow traction, but did have a significant positive effect on ice performance. Also of note, ABS braking performance on dry and wet roads was negatively affected somewhat with the addition of studs."

Edited by racingbmwm3 - December/10/14 at 9:05am
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/14 at 8:18am
Originally posted by racingbmwm3 racingbmwm3 wrote:

The General tire got good ratings on Tirerack as well.  Check our their reviews/testing to see actual comparison data.  Currently have Blizzaks on my E30 and Mini.  

I need to comment that I'm against studded tires.  They destroy our roads and make cars less stable in non-icy conditions.

quote from the last test:
"Our test results confirm the addition of studs to the General Altimax Arctic had little to no influence on snow traction, but did have a significant positive effect on ice performance. Also of note, ABS braking performance on dry and wet roads was negatively affected somewhat with the addition of studs."

Agree about the stud issue totally.  Furthermore a few years ago I was walking up my steep driveway to get the morning newspaper and could not do it because of the ice.  I turned around and walked back to the garage and got the MINI with Blizzaks and drove up to get the paper.  Amazed me!

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/14 at 9:51am
+1 for the Blizzaks. We run them on our Coupe and it does great in the snow. I had them on the R50 a few years ago and could run circles around most 4 wheel drive vehicles as long as the snow wasn't deep. With good tires MINIs are one of the best snow vehicles on the road.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/14 at 12:00pm
I only  really need them to get to work in case it snows, it's pretty flat to/from. My next dilemma is whether to spend $700 on tires and steel wheels, or $400 on just tires and swap them over each season.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/14 at 12:33pm
Get the wheels. It is so much better to be able to swap on your schedule and not worry about going in to a tire shop. Plus if you get a stretch of nice weather in late winter, you can swap them off without worrying about a cold snap hitting and being on your summers.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/14 at 8:13am
In the long run, you'll end up paying more to swap tires back and forth twice/year.  You also run the risk of having tires accidentally damaged during the swap, especially the winter tires as their rubber is much softer than the summers'. 
I have an extra set of 16" I'll part with for cheap if you are interested.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
bnr32jason View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnr32jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/14 at 10:16am

Question, I've ordered a new Countryman, and I want to get a set of snow tires/wheels for it, but I don't want to spend the extra $250 for TPMS. If I left the TPMS sensors off of the snow wheels, all that will happen is I'll get a TPMS light on the dash right? Or will it cause any other problems?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply