Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MINI to downsize lineup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MINI to downsize lineup
    Posted: December/12/14 at 12:37pm

Saw this blurb in the news:  BMW has decided that MINI has gotten too big and will shrink the compact brand's lineup to 5 models from 8. The move reverses course after MINI rolled out a series of quirky derivatives including the coupe and roadster two-seaters in recent years. While that strategy sustained sales growth, it added cost and complexity. Over the long term, MINI will focus on "super-hero" vehicles, such as the 3-and-5-door versions of the basic hatchback, the Countryman crossover and the Clubman wagon, which will be revamped next year. BMW didn't say which specific MINI models will be cut and didn't give a timeframe.

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/14 at 2:25pm
The Coupe and Roadster are already cut. The Clubman cannot be ordered awaiting the new Clubman. So that leaves:

Cooper
Cooper 4 door
Cooper Convertible
Countryman
eventually the new Clubman

So there are your 5.

Still a possibility in the future is the Rocketman concept and a new Roadster based on the Superleggra concept.
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 1:51pm
I'd hoped you'd meant that they were going to make smaller MINIs!  I don't really care how many MINIs there are, as long as they make a new one that slots in below the current 2dr hatch. 
How about 2400 pounds, with a 150hp engine?
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 2:06pm
There are rumors that MINI will actually make an "urban" MINI based on the Rocketman concept. What they bring to the states, if anything, in that segment nobody knows.
Fitrgirl View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitrgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/14 at 12:00pm
Out of curiosity does anyone know how long until the Coupe and Roadster gone? I sort of thought this might be the last year (2015) but it seems that they must be doing 2016 otherwise they would have said outright that this was it, right? Or am I way off?
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/14 at 7:46am
From what I've heard the coupe, roadster and clubman are done and they are just selling remaining models that were built.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/14 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Fitrgirl Fitrgirl wrote:

Out of curiosity does anyone know how long until the Coupe and Roadster gone? I sort of thought this might be the last year (2015) but it seems that they must be doing 2016 otherwise they would have said outright that this was it, right? Or am I way off?

Your best bet is to call around to the dealers. Some dealers may still have allocation otherwise it is just what is left on the lot. This was posted on November 25th MINI Responds to Rumors of Roadster & Coupe Demise and leaves no definite end date for when you cannot order so it really just comes down to if any dealers have allocation to place an order.

I would not sit on this though. If you want a Coupe or Roadster built new, with your options, now would be the time to find a dealer who can get it ordered.

Fitrgirl View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitrgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/14 at 4:22pm
Omg this makes me soo happy!! My Coupe should be arriving any day now, and I was daring to hope that I had managed to get one the final year!!!
Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply