Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant Leak Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Leak Repair
    Posted: March/04/15 at 10:29am

This probably isn't the correct place for this post as it's  not a modification but a repair.

Just wanted to let those of you that were involved in the coolant leak conversation (in the AMVIV thread Shocked of all places . . . oops!) that our slow coolant leak got worse and we decided it was time to find out what was up.

JACK, you were right on the money  . . . it was a failed thermostat gasket (cracked) that was leaking. Since we had the car torn apart, we decided to also replace the thermostat housing in case there was some undetectable warpage.

Anyhow, seemingly the repair was a success, although at this point we haven't driven any distance to really assess it. Hopefully, there are no problems cause my mechanic is not excited about tearing things apart again so soon.

Thanks to all of you that helped us discover the problem.

P.S.  I bought the parts from Seattle MINI and, on total Impulse Buying, bought one of their "baby" Bulldogs (stuffed) that so conveniently caught my eye near the check-out and had to come home with me. LOL

Edited by Genie B - March/04/15 at 10:31am
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/15 at 11:59am
Glad to see you got it sorted out. Thermostat gasket is the most common coolant leak source for both first and second gen MINIs. Brenda's car is in my garage right now for the same repair. (Her car is ALSO leaking from the water pump to block o-ring, or maybe from the water pump. In either case, it requires removing the supercharger and water pump so I will go ahead and replace the water pump while I am in there. )
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/15 at 12:14pm

Kurt,

I'm really glad you're helping Brenda. Clap  It sounded like she was getting a bit discouraged with HAPA, and I hate to see that happen as they are such a good pair.  :-)

Next we will tackle replacing the CVT fluid, as a preventive thing not a repair. My mechanic needs the right mindset before he thinks of tearing things apart again. And, he needs some tool ..  . for suction . . . I think before beginning. We did find that O'Reilly's carries the fluid at a very reasonable price, so hopefully it's the same stuff as they sell elsewhere for double the price.

Cheers!

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/15 at 2:37pm
Kurt's right, the thermostat gasket is a common failure point on the early cars.  When I pulled the housing off of MINIMNT it appeared that the gasket shrank in it's channel, leading to the leaking.  Hopefully the replacement gaskets don't do that.

As far as CVT fluid goes, I've read (mostly on NAM) that the Redline CVT fluid is the way to go.  It's apparently a better formulation than the stock Esso fluid.  Just make sure you get exactly the right stuff.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/15 at 7:18am
I believe we had a coolant leak up near that thermostat too, but I cannot remember if it was the '09 or the '11.

Edited by SMOG - March/06/15 at 3:56am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/15 at 9:01am

Bruce, Thanks for the tip on the Redline CVT fluid.  Tongue

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/15 at 9:19pm
Coolant leaks at the thermostat are common for both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 MINI.
 Post Reply Post Reply