Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear camber, '02 R53

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear camber, '02 R53
    Posted: March/14/15 at 12:14pm

I just spent 2k on struts and tires.  Had the alignment checked, and the right rear is about 1/2 degree too little negative camber (-1.3 on left, -.075 on right).

No camber adjustment on pre-'05.  What would be the "correct" fix; get a late lower arm with a half-degree of adjustability(?), or buy a set of adjustable arms?  I don't want to change the alignment from spec, just want factory spec all around.

OK, it looks like the adjustability is in the lower arm mount, rather than the arm itself, on '05-'06 MINIs; is a retrofit . . . a viable option?

Sounds like it might be worth it to just get a set of adjustable lower arms and have the camber set to spec.

Edited by RickB - March/16/15 at 10:57am
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 9:20pm
I think you must of got new RCA because I replied to your other post about the leveling headlights.  LMK if you still need help.
06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/15 at 12:49pm
Both the Seattle Mini and the tire installer said, "Don't worry", regarding the camber, and what concern there was regarded tire wear rather than handling or safety, which were my concerns.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 7:22am
Camber actually doesn't affect tire wear very much, and if there were a measurable change, less camber would mean better/more even wear.  As far as tire wear, the biggest concern should be making sure the toe is within spec.  
Camber does affect handling in that your peak cornering traction isn't optimal.  Safety shouldn't be affected, except for the slight reduction in peak cornering.  1/2 degree difference between the two sides isn't that big a deal unless you are racing, and you are probably about 3 degrees short for a track setup :)

'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 8:42am

The alignment print-out showed green for every parameter/measurement except right-rear camber and resulting out-of spec "cross camber" across the rear suspension. 

The other 15-20 measurements of caster, toe, etc., were all within spec, though the right-rear was at the high end for toe.  If they'd all been green, I might not have even paid attention to how close to the limits the individual measurements were.

Post Reply Post Reply