Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Motoring Files: Tales from the open road.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed155 MPH!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/07 at 9:47am

I'm not amused.

1.  Please don't drive 130mph down Woodinville Redmond road - we live near by and it's absolutely NOT suited to those kinds of speeds.  No I'm not kidding.  I don't think this is very funny.

2.  It would not be unreasonable for the Washington State Patrol to subpoena the records of this board to discover who's posting these claims of high speed antics.  I'd recommend that you don't brag about violating the law in writing on this board.

Just my 2 cents - I'd hate to see the Washington State Patrol turn up to our next gathering.  You have the right not to testify against yourself.  I strongly suggest you take full advantage of it.

HighBid View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/07 at 12:25pm

It would be ridiculous for anyone to drive 130 anywhere in the woodinville redmond area so i guess you are covered. No one who would be a member of a group as good as this would do that.

It would be unreasonable for WSP to subpoena records because unsubstantiated boasts are a far cry from evidence and misdomeanor acts should be witnessed by an officer before a citation is issued.

That said, we appreciate the advice counselor.

Jeff

GP0223 Rec'd Monterey 8/18
Well Modded! I Think it's time to go racing! [IMG]http://home.earthlink.net/~frogwa/signature.jpg">
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/07 at 9:59am
Originally posted by HighBid HighBid wrote:

It would be ridiculous for anyone to drive 130 anywhere in the woodinville redmond area so i guess you are covered. No one who would be a member of a group as good as this would do that.

Jeff

Wouldn't it though?  Just take a look back through this thread.  I'm intimately familiar with the road in question and have a fairly powerful car.  I somewhat doubt the veracity of the claim (which is a good thing )

Oh and I'm no saint, I'm not trying to be a party pooper - I just prefer to confess my sins in private

Edited by Dave - January/16/07 at 10:43am
QandElf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/07 at 10:30am

Dave, I went back through the thread and see what you mean.  I thought at first you were talking about my comment, and I was going to remind everyone that I was on the Autostradale coming into Genova with 25+ downhill grades, and 130mph isn't the same in Europe (well, it's the same, but it isn't the same).

Then I looked back to the bottom of page 1.  I don't think any sane person would think it's OK to speed through a residential area, and with two young kids, I REALLY don't think it's OK.  That's what Track Days and Desert roads (note: Desert, not just Deserted) are for.

'04 MCS IB/W: MINIQue, Prem/Sport/Cold, QWERKS & Other Mods
'09 MCCLSa CR/B: TH1NG 5, Prem/Sport/Cold/Conv/All Audio. Mods? Wife says NO Moding her MINI!
gearhead View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/07 at 11:38am
I know this is an old thread - even in it's second revival, but I couldn't help posting my thoughts...

It would be unreasonable for WSP to subpoena records because unsubstantiated boasts are a far cry from evidence and misdomeanor acts should be witnessed by an officer before a citation is issued.

Might wanna read up on the state's Rules of the Road.

Originally posted by Revised Code of Washington Revised Code of Washington wrote:

RCW 46.61.535

Advertising of unlawful speed — Reckless driving.

It shall be unlawful for any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or any person, firm, or corporation to publish or advertise or offer for publication or advertisement, or to consent or cause to be published or advertised, the time consumed or speed attained by a vehicle between given points or over given or designated distances upon any public highways of this state when such published or advertised time consumed or speed attained shall indicate an average rate of speed between given points or over a given or designated distance in excess of the maximum rate of speed allowed between such points or at a rate of speed which would constitute reckless driving between such points. Violation of any of the provisions of this section shall be prima facie evidence of reckless driving and shall subject such person, firm, or corporation to the penalties in such cases provided.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, but this forum is made up primarily, if not entirely by people who live in WA.  IMHO, it is not wise to make claims to speeding on public roads in WA when you live here.  They can use this against you in a court of law.

All my high speed antics are on closed courses or private roads.

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/07 at 1:31pm

Dear WSP:

I did 246 mph in my wife's Cooper on Interstate 5 through downtown Seattle tonight (Might have been 248 -- I took my eyes off the gauge to sip my mocha).

Please subpoena me, cuff me, and stuff me so that I can contact Guinness and finally make it into the record book.

Appreciatively, Mr. Cupcake

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/07 at 1:48pm
Liar, I bet it was the S.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/07 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by gearhead gearhead wrote:

I know this is an old thread - even in it's second revival, but I couldn't help posting my thoughts...

Might wanna read up on the state's Rules of the Road.

Originally posted by Revised Code of Washington Revised Code of Washington wrote:

RCW 46.61.535

Advertising of unlawful speed — Reckless driving.

It shall be unlawful for any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or any person, firm, or corporation to publish or advertise or offer for publication or advertisement, or to consent or cause to be published or advertised, the time consumed or speed attained by a vehicle between given points or over given or designated distances upon any public highways of this state when such published or advertised time consumed or speed attained shall indicate an average rate of speed between given points or over a given or designated distance in excess of the maximum rate of speed allowed between such points or at a rate of speed which would constitute reckless driving between such points. Violation of any of the provisions of this section shall be prima facie evidence of reckless driving and shall subject such person, firm, or corporation to the penalties in such cases provided.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, but this forum is made up primarily, if not entirely by people who live in WA.  IMHO, it is not wise to make claims to speeding on public roads in WA when you live here.  They can use this against you in a court of law.

All my high speed antics are on closed courses or private roads.

Yikes!  Interesting find.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/07 at 3:31pm

Just something else to think about. Washington,Oregon,Idaho, Utah and Montana all have something called wildlife and they don't use the crosswalks. You might not worry about it, but even at the posted speed it can be hard to stop in time. Want to see some damage hit a Coyote, Mule deer, Elk, Bear, Mountain Lion or even a Moose. Just keep in mind when you have roads where the growth is close(20') to the road they can jump out anywhere at over 100 your reaction time is not that fast for a surprise.

There is a section of road in Oregon out in no where it has no turns where things can be opened up, Like a few here in Washington. But as I mentioned before you can't control what the wildlife will do an when.

Just food for thought.

BTW: Yes my Mini will go faster then the posted speed Limit.

John

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/07 at 2:04am
No one will bust you on just a post on the site, but it might be used as supporting evidence. Say several drivers complained about speeding MINI's on HW 18 then someone posted about how they were doing 120+. Then they might get in trouble.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Baxter View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/07 at 1:29pm
I find it interesting that people have a hard time believing just how fast a
Cooper can go... I tell people how fast I have been in mine and they cant
believe it...

Edited by Baxter - December/26/07 at 1:31pm
Formerly known as a MINI owner... But no longer... Now I am just a lurker
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/07 at 10:41pm
Unfortunately, my big, bad JCW is computer limited to 125.  NW Mini says they can't reprogram it.  Unichip is looking into a work-around solution.
JCW sucks.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/07 at 1:15am

Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Unfortunately, my big, bad JCW is computer limited to 125.  NW Mini says they can't reprogram it.  Unichip is looking into a work-around solution.
JCW sucks.

Pat

I can understand that for 90+% of the JCW drivers but for people such as yourself, who track the car, that has got to be frustrating.

Todd

Edited by Sanderskog - December/28/07 at 11:41am
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Baxter View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/07 at 6:29am
So the JCW cars are limited at a slower speed than the stock s? That really doesnt make much sense...
Formerly known as a MINI owner... But no longer... Now I am just a lurker
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/07 at 12:27pm
I really pushed at the SA about this.  I was already fairly hacked about a 5+ hour wait to have my car reassembled using the old parts because they discovered they didn't have the new parts they scheduled me in for.  While waiting, I asked about the crummy gas mileage (10mpg while doing  a steady throttle 25mph on a level street in 3rd gear seem a bit excessive?).  Go get a bottle of injector cleaner (tho I already use Chevron with Techroline).  Two bottles of cleaner later - 10mpg while doddling along at 25 mph in 3rd gear.  But I'm off the subject.
I then asked - "Oh, would dirty injectors keep me from seeing anything above 120, 125 on the mile long front straight at Spokane (with a tailwind)?"  Oh no, was the answer - that's the speed limit set by the JCW computer.  Seems when you start getting a bit carried away with yourself, the timing retards and the injectors squirt a bit less.  Oh cool.

So, lessee here (temper is showing a bit again).  How much more did I pay for this load of stuff I was fed about the JCW "upgrades" (don't really ask, I'm waaayyy to embarrassed).  But I'll be happy to discuss the dumpy "big brakes" that aren't, and for which you couldn't find a track compound until just recently.  How about a restrictive paper air filter  for the "cold air box" that costs $225 to replace.  How about the "big" 17mm "track ready" rear sway bar.

And now, I can't go any faster than 125??  I guess I shouldn't really have expected anything more.  Next Mini - Dinan all the way.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/07 at 12:29pm
I'm still mad.  Can I say John Crapper Works, which don't really work?

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 12:43am

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 6:15am
Pat,
I was out cruising today and tried the 3rd Gear 25mph thingy.  Was indicating around 40 with a computer reset.  Wonder if part of your 4 isn't working and indicating 10 instead of 40??
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 6:30am
Thanks, John - I tried emailing the first two websites, and both emails bounced back.  I'm talking to Alta about a unichip, which might be a better solution while the car is under warranty.

I don't see the post here, but saw one in my email where Rob wondered about the 10mpg and 125 limit.  I am reading the mpg on the scanguage - settings are mpg, mph, rpm and intake air temp.  Just checked it again this morning on the way to the office.  10 mpg.  Regarding the speed limiter, I don't know if what the SA said is true - they also told me the slotted rotors for the 07 wouldn't fit my 06 JCW brakes (wrong) and I don't think anybody else has ever had bad info from an SA before, but the reason I asked in the first place is I can't reach that speed at Pacific Raceways, and can just barely reach it at Spokane Raceway Park with its mile long straight (and a stiff tailwind).  Mitch Delabarre (another instructor) driving an 04 MCS with a pulley and CAI drives by me like a cruiser going by the local A&W checking out the babes (10 mph?).  I have tried to find out about the JCW ECU but haven't come up with anything like this (my search technique sucks when compared to Johnf36, though).

BTW - John - have you had a chance to take a pic of the rear lpbm without the connector?

Pat

Edited by onramp - December/30/07 at 12:05am
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 6:57am
Hi, Rob:  I get to see over 40mpg when in neutral, changing gears (idle speed) when coming off the freeway.  I also get bad mileage at other speeds and in other gears.  I've had passengers comment about the mileage readings on the scanguage as well.  When driving normally (other drivers would think I was driving normally), I sometimes see 23, 24 mpg - usually above 45 mph, and usually with the foot off the gas.  I've actually kept a log of repeatable instances (10 mpg at 25 mph in 3rd) as well as the overall mileage from every tank.  I asked the SA to go for a ride with me and watch the guage, but he wanted me to try the cleaner first.  I really think he didn't want to go for a ride with me because I was actually feeling pretty grumpy - I think he had a hint when I offered to go out and help the tech put my old rotors and old brake pads on (this was around hour three of my wait).  He told me that they were checking out the rest of the braking system because those pads should have lasted more than 13 or 14 thou.  Sigh.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 9:57am
Pat here is one of the web sites for aothorized MTH dealer
And here it is old school Big%20smile
California Central Coast Coopers / Ventura County / Oxnard, California Fon 805-487-4748
Fon 877-885-MINI
cccoopers@aol.com
Dallas Kevin Haughey / 120 Forest Park Dr. / Double Oak, TX 75077 khaughey@gmail.com
fuego@metroplexmini.org
Gloucester advanced technologies / lee malo / 27 kondelin rd / 01930 gloucester Fon 978 337 3761
Fon 978 282 5544
l-malo@msn.com
New York / New Jersey Precision-Mini

Don Hollingshead
Warren, NJ
Fon 732-748-1964
Mob 732-259-5941
mthpower@dmhmotorsports.net
www.dmhmotorsports.net
North Hills / Ca Steve's Auto Clinic / 16205 Nordhoff Street / North Hills, Ca 91343 Fon 818-891-6109
Fax 818-891-6433
mth-astra@earthlink.net
Oklahoma Mike Tickle / 1805 Deerwood Trail / Midwest City, Oklahoma 73130 Fon 405 737-7420
Fax 405 570-1780
mtickle@cox.net

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 11:14am
Okay how about this?
Part Number: S5BXGM35003
MFR#: BXGM35003
i-Flash 2534 Global On-Board Programmer Software (Hardware Sold Seperately, Part Number BXBD35721) -- Stop Sending Your Customers To The Dealer! The i-Flash Lets you replace or recalibrate ECMs. Updating calibrations are the "21st Century Tune Up" that often correct DTCs that are set incorrectly, transmission shift points, timing issues, fuel economy and many other driveability problems. The i-Flash 2534 Global Programmer is a J2534 compliant passthrough reprogrammer and can be use on nonJ2534 systems. Connect it to you PC, download the latest updates from the manufacturer and upload to your customer's vehicle. Capabilities: GM TIS 2000 Programming, SAE J2534 Programming, Chrysler Programming including VIN and Mileage. Supported Protocols: ISO 9141, ISO KWP 2000, SAE Ji850 PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, CAN, SCI SAE J2610, GM 8192 UART. Software Requirements: PC with available serial port or appropriate adapter, Windows 98 or higher, Access to internet, Subscription to Manufacturer for programming data (first year's subscription included) Hardware Sold Seperately, Part Number BXGM35003
John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 12:00pm
Hey don't get caught speeding in Virginia, how does a 3550 speeding ticket sound?
John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 12:01pm
Hmmm.  I thought Adam's unichip was pricey.  Not too bad now!  However, maybe my software does have a glitch.  Just gotta convince the SA that I'm not some looney bin.  (Quiet, Rob!!)

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 12:31pm

Pat maybe you shoud drag him to the track?

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/07 at 2:29pm
Pat back to the brakes, just a thought, since you eat those pads up so fast. Could you speed and mpg be related to the DSC not operating properly? Just a thought?
John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/07 at 12:14am
I don't think so.  I drove around most of last summer with the DSC off.  Been driving lately with it on.  The brake pads are directly related to how many miles done at the track. 

Not sure how the DSC works, but I don't see it working very often when I have it switched on.  It pretty much kills the car when leaving a stop sign and turning right onto another street.  I often don't even sense any tire slippage.  When pointed straight, I can spin the tires (no effort needed for that, just wet pavement and a normal take off), and the DSC just blinks a bit.  Coming out of T3b, feeding in accelerator just before apex as I'm rotating the car - the car dies until I quit sliding and get off the gas.

Anyway, I don't think the DSC works the brakes - just retards timing and maybe fuel.  I get the same mpg on my test spots with or without DSC.  I will ask about it when I call NW Mini. 

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/07 at 1:25am
My understanding was it measures steering angle,yaw and lateral acceleration to apply corrective brake pressure. Thought being brake drag might be causing hp loss and robbing mpg also causing short pad life. What do you think?
John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/07 at 5:16am
I don't think it is that complex, tho it might be.  I can say for sure that the brake thing is totally un-noticeable.  When accelerating on a right turn in the wet, the motor dies but the car keeps rolling until I get the front wheels straight.

I've driven cars (both BMW and Porsche) where you feel the action of DSC or PASM or whatever other acronyms apply.  Lights flash and the car goes where pointed.  All very smooth, and not like my Mini.  I tell students that when the light flashes, the car just might have saved him/her a LOT of bucks.

At any rate, I don't drive hard enough to see the DSC working very often, and on the occasion that it does, I'm usually pointed straight ahead, leaving a light, in the wet. 

Also - I had it turned off ALL summer.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/07 at 5:39am
DSC will cut the power off if you start spinning the wheels like taking off in gravel.  Beware.  It can be very  inconvenient when entering a busy road....

Out of curiosity, what does you OBC say your mileage is as compared to the scan gauge?  How do  both compare to calculated values.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>