Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 hiccup under throttle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 hiccup under throttle
    Posted: August/31/16 at 3:06pm

This problem hasn't really just cropped up, but it's irritating enough to inquire about it.

If I'm driving at a steady state in one of the higher gears, and then tip into the throttle the engine will react with a momentary blip in power delivery, like a misfire.  There's a "bucking" sensation due the acceleration/deceleration/acceleration.  

It does not happen repeatedly; it's as if I've surprised the engine by asking for more power, then it sorts itself out.

It never happens when running through the gears, and doesn't even happen all the time.  It's exactly the sort of thing that if I took it in to a shop to have it "looked at", the result would be that they couldn't get it to do what I was describing.

I've changed fuel brands back and forth - Chevron and Shell - used a fuel system cleaner additive, with no apparent effect.

Should I be looking at ignition rather than fuel? 

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Dennis Bratland View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Bratland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/16 at 11:21pm
I don't really know but the symptoms remind me of what I've read about bypass valve problems.

Detroit Tuned  says: "What is the "Yo-Yo" effect? It's the opening and closing of the valve around 2500 rpm's so that it feels like your stepping on and off the gas, but you're not."

Per ModMini/Corners, you don't necessarily have to use their upgraded version; maybe just fix the broken one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-QevsM4QI

Note that in the video, it shows you can check the valve tension by pushing on it, and zip tie the valve closed to see if that makes the problem disappear.  Is it throwing any codes?

'05 MCS
electric blue+white
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/16 at 7:11am

Check this out.  Yoyo is a known issue in early R53.  Fixed it on mine.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/38268-drivetrain-operation-vacuum-gain-system-vgs.html

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/16 at 12:09pm

My car suffered from "hiccup" and "yo-yo" when new, but it was mostly sorted during 2003-2004.  Maybe I'm seeing some hardware problems today, when the problems were treated with software updates at the time.

I'll look into it, again.  Thanks

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/18 at 11:40am

Had the "mother of all misfires" on I-90, the other day.

Check-engine and traction/brake lights came on, and car seemed to be running on three cylinders.

Limped to exit, parked, shut down, looked under hood for thrown belt, hole in block, etc., and found nothing amiss.

Restarted and car seemed to be running OK, brake light no longer on, but took it easy on drive home.

Trip to dealer resulted in recommendation of replace plugs.

Dealer wanted $330 to replace plugs.

Full set of plugs is $35 at O'Reilly's, so replaced them myself.

Slow degradation of plugs, resulting in occasional/random misfire. appears to have been the problem.

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/18 at 1:33pm

The misfire, if that's what it is, hasn't completely gone away, so I'm still looking for answers.

Even though the Seattle MINI diagnostic pointed at only the plugs, I did replace the wires ($100+ at NWM, $44 at O'Reilly's . . .), so we'll see if there's any improvement.

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/18 at 10:47am
Misfire is gone.  Knocking on wood.

Post Reply Post Reply