FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dreaded throttle body issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Grinch View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreaded throttle body issues
    Posted: September/24/16 at 2:02pm
I installed a new VDO throttle body. Runs like a new car. Thanks
Dennis Bratland View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Bratland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/16 at 1:58pm
How did you verify the vacuum leak is fixed?

I'd get a basic propane torch kit like a Bernzomatic UL100 and attach a couple feet of surgical tubing to the end, then crack the valve and hold the tube near your intake. The added hydrocarbon will make your RPM jump up or down, depending on whether or not you have a vacuum leak or whatever else it's doing. Or pull a vacuum hose and feed the propane into the hole, which also demonstrates what you engine does when it's drawing in propane from a known leak. Once you see how the engine reacts to the extra fuel, you can slowly move the tube end around your intake system and try to pin point any leaks.

The old school method was to spray a can of carb cleaner or even starting fluid (!!!) around your intake to find leaks, but that stuff is not good for your engine, and the spray is really random. You have to wait for puddles to dry before you know if the added stuff is clear. I learned about the propane thing in a class on emissions control repairs many years ago.
'05 MCS
electric blue+white
freemind View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/16 at 12:49pm
Idle air control valve?
Grinch View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/16 at 2:12pm
Well, I bought a new used 02 mini s,. Broken of course. Found a broken valve spring, no compression #3,. Pulled the head no other damage. Had the head rebuilt,. Replaced belt, water pump, idler assembly, Tatar, hoses, plugs , oil, filter, coolant. I started the car and it revved up to 3000 rpm and came down bucked and backfiring like a vacuum leak. I saved all around the intake and Tv and no notable change in performance. I read the codes and and had the p code for mismatched throttle body. I triple checked everything. I cleared the codes, did a mini computer reset with the trip button. It now may or may not respond to the throttle. It isles up then tries to die then up again. I can't afford to pay a shop. I can afford a bit if someone can help me with it. Camano island Washington. Gary.
 Post Reply Post Reply