Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What does Mini Seattle charge to flash your ECU?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What does Mini Seattle charge to flash your ECU?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Bratland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Mini Seattle charge to flash your ECU?
    Posted: September/24/16 at 12:42pm
Does anyone know approximately what Mini Seattle would charge to do the JCW ECU flash on my R53? And enable the rear fog light?

I emailed them a while back and they eventually replied that they couldn't answer and I had to call in and talk it over on the phone. So I called in and it took a while to explain what I was talking about, but I did eventually learn that they can program only parts of the JCW package -- injectors, exhaust, intake -- or do the whole thing, whichever way you like, which is good news. But they have to get back to me on whether not you need a dealer flash to enable that cute flapper valve on the air cleaner, and everything else. Like how long it would take and how much they would charge.

So do you know if they normally charge between $1 and $10? Or more in the $11-$100 range? Or $101 to $1000? $1000 to $1,000,000?

This stuff is very arbitrary. I-90 motorsports wanted to spend a day and charge me $50 to flash the ECU on my Street Triple. Triumph of Seattle grabbed the bike and flashed it in less time than it took me to finish their free coffee and charged me nothing.

I'm still debating which injectors to get, if any, and which tune (if any) to get. It's complicated because 380cc injectors cost twice as much as 550cc, but then you can't avoid a $300-$1000 tune, and... and... and... It helps if I can narrow down the cost estimates.

Obviously I'm terrified to drive if my flappery doohicky doesn't open at 4,500 rpm and my rear fog light doesn't turn on. It's that urgent. (jk)

Thanks!

Edited by Dennis Bratland - September/24/16 at 12:44pm
'05 MCS
electric blue+white
vws4law View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vws4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/17 at 3:21pm
Did you ever get an answer to this?  I am looking for someone local to do an ECU tune as well...also the debate of injectors...what did you decide to do there?  Thanks!
brat s View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brat s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/17 at 6:23pm
They charge 150 an hour
Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/17 at 9:31am
They will not do the JCW ECU flash on your car.

Seattle Mini no longer have the equipment to do work on the DME of a first generation Mini.
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2004 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
1999 40LE (Mulberry Red) (SOLD)
vws4law View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vws4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/17 at 10:28pm
Anyone happen to know someone in the Seattle area that can flash an ECU of a R53 2002 Cooper S?
Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/17 at 10:32pm
Flash it with what tune??
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
vws4law View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vws4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/17 at 12:14am
JCW or equivalent.  I have the typical mini R53 upgrades...pulley, cat-back exhaust, MSD, waiting on injectors to show up.  ECU tune is next.
Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/17 at 10:11am
I just sent mine to Way Motor Works. I was without the use of the car for a week, but it wasn't my DD at the time.
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
vws4law View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vws4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/17 at 8:12am
Thanks for that heads up...I did see that on their website.  I already have their plug wires, plugs, and intercooler diverter.  The JCW tune looks like a good choice for 300...how do you like the tune?  Noticable difference than stock?  Did you change your injectors in addition to having it flashed?  Sorry about the thousand questions...newbie to the mini world.  Done a ton of research on the web but always good to get another perspective!!!  Thanks
Noonzio View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noonzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/17 at 9:12am
I love it - I would not get him to put on the JCW tune though - go for his Quicktune.

Mine was a dealer installed JCW kit, when the car was new, so it had the 200hp tune, but no JCW airbox or injectors. The power delivery was a little rough when I bought it (2016) - I then added JCW 380cc injectors and the JCW airbox . . and the power delivery was a little rougher!! Seattle Mini had already told me that they could install the JCW tune at that point . . but when I brought it in they weren't able to.

So I contacted Way about installing a JCW tune for me . . he said it was doable, but that his Quicktune would actually be better, because he could adjust it for the Alta 15% pulley (rather than the OEM JCW pulley that I replaced).

Power delivery is now fantastic . .  very smooth, and I've got awesome acceleration, even from 30mph in 4th or 5th gear.

Had Koni FSD's and Way's 25.5mm sway bar installed a couple of weeks ago . . and now the car rides super smooth!!
2002 R53 JCW (210) EB/EB
2009 R55 JCW BRG (SOLD)
2006 MCSa PW/PW (SOLD)
2005 MCS DS/B (SOLD)
vws4law View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vws4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/17 at 11:53pm
Right on...I will do the quick tune when the injectors get here.  Thanks for that info

I plan on a rear sway bar and neuspeed springs with Bilstein HD struts.  That is the mid-summer project...just got mine back on the road and want to enjoy it for a bit.

Hope to catch you on the road at one of the local mini meets!!!
R53R56 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R53R56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/17 at 7:10pm
I'm planning on ordering the Bosch 380cc plugs described in this thread on NAM:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/312783-380cc-bosch-alternative-fuel-injectors-source-found.html

They've been researched and talked about for years on in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/254706-standard-motor-380cc-injectors.html

and a write up here:

http://www.c0op3r.com/MINI/FuelInjector.html

Regarding the ECU tuning, I too was hoping to have Seattle MINI do the work, but since I decided to order the Bosch injectors I figured they wouldn't want to do the coding. So Way it will be... I hadn't considered the quicktune.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/17 at 8:20pm
I doubt they flash ECUs these days, especially if the injectors aren't OEM. 
Way can do this kind of thing for you easy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply