Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warning: spark plug ejected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning: spark plug ejected
    Posted: May/10/17 at 5:03pm
2 weeks ago, driving around town, immediately after going over a speed bump, there is a very loud bang, followed by the car violently shaking, so I pull over immediately and once stopped notice the engine is the cause of the shaking.  Shut off engine, pop hood expecting to see a big hole in the block (not really since you can't see the block).  Actually discovered cylinder 1 spark plug wire, boot, and plug laying on top of the valve cover.  Walk home, grab some tools, go back to reinstall the plug, assuming maybe I didn't tighten the plug all the way 3 years ago when I changed them.  But no, plug started tightening up, then got loose.  Threads stripped in the head.  Worried I was going to have to replace the head, but found with some searching on northamericanmotoring, that it could be repaired with timeserts.  Bought the toolkit and 5 timeserts.  Spent an afternoon doing the job.  ordered new plugs, installed those after letting the car sit for a couple days for the red loctite to fully cure.  Discovered 2 more plugs were loose, cylinder 4 was still torqued.  Car is running great now.

Moral of story, apparently the plugs need to be checked to make sure they haven't loosened themselves over time as that is a common problem.  Also, looks like I'll be replacing my plugs every 40-50k miles instead of the 100k I thought I would get out of them...

And, I have the tool available if anyone else runs into this issue.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
KnottyMan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnottyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/17 at 2:55pm
I check my torque every 5k when oil change and tire rotation interval comes around.
 Post Reply Post Reply